Wine.com Releases Annual 2012 Wine.com 100
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/05/12 -- Wine.com, the nation's leading online wine retailer, today announced the sixth annual Wine.com 100. The Wine.com 100 reflects the top wines purchased on its website during the first 11 months of 2012. It is the industry's only list based solely on consumer purchasing data. Now in its sixth year of publication, the list has grown to become a benchmark for illustrating major online wine purchasing trends -- and is now an indicator of what people are actually drinking throughout the year. In the past year, Wine.com customers purchased more than 13,300 different wines across all major regions and varietals. The complete 2012 Wine.com 100 list is available online at www.wine.com/100.
This year's bestseller is Columbia Crest Two Vines 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Columbia Valley region in Washington, making this the second year in a row that Wine.com customers chose a value-priced Cabernet Sauvignon. The follow-up vintage to last year's top wine, the 2009 Argentinean Tilia Cabernet Sauvignon, still ranks among the most popular as #15 this year.
"Columbia Crest is a perfect example of the outstanding quality at a reasonable price that the winery is proud to offer in each of its wines," said Ted Baseler, President and CEO of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates. "We're very pleased to see that Wine.com consumers respond to the breadth of styles and quality across each of our estates and our imported wines."
A few key trends from the 2012 Wine.com 100 list include:
- Italian wines are more popular: The number of Italian bottles on the list doubled this year, from six to 12.
- Chardonnay is on the rise: Chardonnay came in as a particular favorite this year, with nine bottles featured. While reds generally account for about 75 percent of the Wine.com 100, white wines in general saw a rise in popularity, with 24 bottles on the list, compared to 14 last year.
- 50 Percent imported wines: According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, imported wines account for about 30 percent of wines purchased in the U.S.; however, this year's Wine.com 100 includes 50 percent imports and 50 percent domestic. In fact, this is even reflected in the top 10 most popular wines on our list.
"We love to see the broad assortment on the list this year, from unique Italian blends to classic California Cabernet," said Michael Osborn, Wine.com Founder and VP of Merchandising. "Our customers have always been adventurous when it comes to wine, and shopping online with easy navigation tools from our huge assortment is more conducive to discovering wines than simply reading labels in brick-and-mortar stores."
The 10 most popular sellers on the Wine.com 100 this year include:
1. Columbia Crest Two Vines 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
2. Jaume Serra Cristalino Brut Cava
3. Seghesio 2010 Sonoma Zinfandel
4. Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label
5. Penley Estate 2009 Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon
6. Conn Creek 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon
7. Chateau Ste. Michelle 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
8. Robert Mondavi 2009 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
9. Shoofly 2010 Shiraz
10. Silver Oak 2007 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
"We are humbled and honored to have all four of our labels represented on the Wine.com 100 list for the first time this year," says Chuck Wagner, owner of Wagner Family of Wine and winemaker at Caymus Vineyards, which is celebrating its fortieth anniversary this year. He goes on to say, "Most people know us for Caymus Cabernets and Conundrum White, both of which have been on the list for the past six years; it's now nice to see consumers are also discovering the great things we are doing with Belle Glos Pinot Noir and Mer Soleil Chardonnay."
Some wines hold the distinct pleasure of evergreen popularity with Wine.com customers, appearing on the Wine.com 100 for the past six years. These wines include:
- Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Jaume Serra Cristalino Brut Cava
- Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc
- Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label
To order any of the Wine.com 100, visit www.wine.com/100. And for a limited time, Wine.com is offering a free, month-long trial of its free shipping program, Steward-Ship. Find out more at: http://www.wine.com/stewardship.
Wine.com is the nation's #1 online wine retailer, offering thousands of wines, wine gifts, gift baskets, corporate gifts and monthly wine clubs. Wine.com's mission is to be the ultimate resource for wine enthusiasts, whether shopping for themselves or a gift. Wine.com offers a combination of selection, value, service and detailed product information that is impossible to find in a brick and mortar store. Wine.com is the world's most visited wine website and also runs the wine flash sales site, WineShopper. Wine.com is owned by Baker Capital. For more information: visit www.wine.com, the Wine Notes Blog, Facebook page, Twitter, or download the iPad app. For WineShopper, visit www.wineshopper.com or on Facebook and Twitter.
About Baker Capital
Baker Capital is a New York-based private equity firm that has raised over $1.5 billion in committed capital. Founded in 1995, Baker Capital invests globally in digital communications, media and technology at all stages of development. The partners of Baker Capital have extensive private equity and operational experience and deep industry relationships, allowing the firm to provide its portfolio companies with not only capital but also valuable strategic thinking and relationships. The firm's portfolio includes companies such as Wine.com and Interxion (NYSE: INXN) among others.
Lauren Lloyd or Jason Mandell