Research and Markets: Gambro Medical Device Company Intelligence Report
by Business Wire
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/kdvt7p/gambro_medical) has announced the addition of the "Gambro Medical Device Company Intelligence Report" company profile to their offering.
Gambro was founded in 1964 and has approximately 7,500 employees, 13 production facilities in nine countries and sales subsidiaries in more than 100 countries.
Sweden's Wallenberg family controls Gambro through its Investor AB investment firm. In June 2006, the family took over Gambro from the Stockholm Stock Exchange, in a transaction valued at approximately US$5.4 billion. The Wallenbergs previously owned 19.9% of the company before they made the purchase with EQT Partners, a Stockholm-based buyout firm partly-owned by Investor AB. As at January 2013, EQT Partners owned 51% of Gambro and Investor AB held the remaining 49% (Investor AB also owns 10% of Gambro through its investment in EQT). Gambro represents 3% of Investor AB's total assets.
In December 2004, Gambro sold its US healthcare clinics to rival DaVita for US$3.1 billion.
In November 2006, Gambro's businesses were split into three independent businesses: Gambro Renal Products, to make products for dialysis machines and provide blood purification for hospital intensive care units; Gambro BCT, to sell blood collection and separation equipment; and Gambro Healthcare, to operate healthcare facilities in Europe, South America, Asia and Australia. Gambro Renal Products subsequently became the new Gambro AB, while Gambro BCT changed its name to CaridianBCT. In May 2007, Gambro Healthcare was sold to Bridgepoint, a European private equity firm, and is now known as Diaverum; and, in April 2011, CaridianBCT was sold to Terumo Corporation for US$2.63 billion.
In May 2011, Gambro moved its corporate headquarters from Stockholm to Lund, citing that the move will lead to improved cross-functional collaboration and efficiency improvements. The majority of Gambro's functions, including sales and marketing, R&D and manufacturing, are present at Gambro's Lund site, which has approximately 800 employees. The Stockholm office closed at the end of 2011.
In December 2012, Investor AB and EQT entered into a definitive agreement to sell Gambro to Baxter International, for total consideration of SKr 26.5 billion (approximately US$4.0 billion). With a broad and complementary dialysis product portfolio, Baxter can accelerate product sales in established markets such as Europe, where Gambro has an extensive footprint. Baxter could also expand Gambro's reach in high-growth regions of Latin America and Asia-Pacific, where Baxter has steadily grown its peritoneal dialysis business.
Within the healthcare industry, Investor also owns Mölnlycke Health Care, a provider of single-use surgical and wound care products and services; and Aleris, a Scandinavian healthcare and care service provider. EQT owns Dako Denmark, which undertakes medical tests used to diagnose cancer.
Key Topics Covered
- Strategic Focus
- Financial Review
- Research And Development
- Manufacturing And Distribution Agreements
- Mergers And Acquisitions
- Key Corporate Events
- Source Medical (now Cardinal Health Canada)
- Dipylon Medical
- Spire Biomedical
- SunTech Medical
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/kdvt7p/gambro_medical