Veterans Day Freebies: Where Military Members, Vets Eat Free Today

South Korea U.S. Memorial Day
AP
Dozens of businesses -- most of them chain restaurants -- are offering freebies and deals today to those who have served, and are still serving, in celebration of Veterans Day. We've gathered up a few of the best offers.

Unless otherwise noted, these deals are restricted to veterans and active-duty military, and are available during business hours on Veterans Day. Most of these require some sort of proof, so visit the linked site to see what you'll need to bring to prove your service.

• Applebee's lets you choose one free entree off this special menu. Proof of service required.

• Chili's also has a special menu from which veterans may choose one entree and eat for free.

• TGI Friday's also offers a free meal, but it's only valid during lunch; stop in between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to get it. It's restricted to certain items, but the special menu isn't posted online.

• In what might be the best deal of the day, Denny's will give veterans free all-you-can-eat pancakes from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.

• Starbucks (SBUX) offers a complimentary tall brewed coffee to current and former military members, as well as their spouses.

• Krispy Kreme (KKR), meanwhile, ups the ante by offering both a small coffee and a doughnut. You can show any form of military ID or even wear your uniform to get the freebie.

• Finally, here's a non-food deal that you might find useful: Meineke is offering veterans free oil changes all day Monday.

Thanks to Coupon Sherpa, RetailMeNot, BeFrugal.com, and Freebie Finding Mom for bringing these various freebies to our attention.

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

Introduction to Retirement Funds

Target date funds help you maintain a long term portfolio.

burgesswv

lly finally shipped the bird to a friend in Scotland.

November 12 2013 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
forcoors

I notice a distinct lack of the obamacare disaster on the PC internet news. 800,000 people in NJ lost their healthcare due to it. yet only 50,000 people in the whole country signed up. No conspiracy here. Just don't report it.

November 12 2013 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JHF CDF

The best is Golden Corral thats why the line is so long there on Vet. day didnt go this year cause the waite is so long if some of the others would give a good meal then maybe the line wouldnt be so long I guess they dont think us putting our lives on the line so they can have a buesness is worth a real meal. I served from 1967 to 1970 because I loved my country I still love America but the Goverment can go to hell they arent worth a damn!!!

November 11 2013 at 10:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
hanna vanhoose

hese offers from these places are an insult to anyone buch less our vets. myself, i cant stand to eat at any of them myself . why would anyone waste their time to park, get out and go in for a doughnut and a small coffee. total insult to our vets. talk about cost effective cheapskates. again, they are an insult to anyone if that is the measure of their thanks.

November 11 2013 at 9:15 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
rwa1949

Hey Applebee's I was in service in 1968 to 1972, then again in 1987 to 1998. How am I going to
provide "proof of Service" 15 YEARS later???
Applebee's ---Chili's --- TGI Friday's ------ We're CAN eat off of the "special" menu-- Really????
As far as I'm concerned you can all suck exhaust. I didn't serve to get freebees but I'll be damned if I 'll come hat in hand to "accept" your "Thank you for your service" handouts. -------------------

November 11 2013 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to rwa1949's comment
burgesswv

Some comedy after all the freebies:
Stanley & Luiga were reminiscing about teir war experiences after ww2. Italians use their arms to get across a story. He went on to tell his friend about the stalled aircraft they were in. They both parachuted .Luigas chute opened fine. Stanleys chute didnt. He grabbed Stanley, the polish guy as he fell. Stanley said: " you saved my life,friend". Luiga opened his arms to say : " thats what friends are for ". Poor Stanley !
I was in ww2 for 3 years, and abit of comedy made the stay easier to endure.

November 11 2013 at 7:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Andy

California Pizza Kitchen is offering Vets a free pizza today; Hooters has a free meal to vets; Outback offers a free blooming onion and beverage; Tony Roma's has a voucher for a free future entree if you go in todat and Bed Bath & Beyond is offering 20% off entire purchase today...all for vets AND don't forget Home Depot and Lowe's have a standing 10% all year active duty , etirees and active reserve.

November 11 2013 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjen164497

I have never been treated better in any resturant then I was today at Applebee's. My wife and I took our granddaaughter back to college today and stopped to by her lunch. I was asked if i was a veteran. I was thanked and given a very good meal at no cost. I had no prior knowledge of this special by Applebee's. The help was great and made all the Vets feel special.

November 11 2013 at 6:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
orion2855

Being a diabled Viet Nam vet means that we still have wounds that never heal, Americans spitting on us, throwing eggs and tomatos and calling us baby killers were the worst insults I ever heard in my entire life.
At least today's Veterans will come up and shake my hand and thank me for my service, it means a lot after the way we were treated by our own citizens so many years ago.
Veterans from conflicts before and after Viet Nam were NEVER treated that way, the V. A. treats us like we have the plague to this day.
God Bless ALL of our Veterans no matter how or where they served their country.

November 11 2013 at 6:22 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to orion2855's comment
betty_brock

Thank you for your service and God bless you. I remember how Vets were treated after Viet Nam. It was shameful. To this day I can't stand Jane Fonda.

November 11 2013 at 8:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
recluse909

Most pretend to care. I will pay my own way.

November 11 2013 at 4:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to recluse909's comment
pm0501

At least you're not pretending to be bitter! This vet genuinely appreciated the gestures offered for my service 40 years ago today and I accepted one!

November 12 2013 at 3:51 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply