Kmart's Latest Funny Ad Flips the Script on 'Yo Mama' Jokes

Kmart Yo Momma commercial
YouTube.com
We can't remember the last time Kmart (SHLD) was generating this much buzz.

Hot on the heels of its "ship your pants" and "big gas savings" commercials, the discount retailer is out with another humorous ad it surely hopes will go viral. While the previous entries relied on homophonic double-entendres, this one mines another classic comedy trope: Little kids cracking "yo mama" jokes in the schoolyard. Yes, Kmart is playing the Dozens.

It's reminiscent of this classic scene from "The Sandlot," except the insults ("You play ball like a girl!") are replaced with such complimentary gems as "Yo mama's so fiscally responsible, she got all that on free layaway!"

After five days on Kmart's YouTube page, the video has more than 90,000 views. And while some commenters are questioning whether there's a touch of racism in the ad, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

AdWeek notes that this commercial, like the previous two entries from Kmart, was created by ad agency Draftfcb.Those two clips combined for more than 25 million views on YouTube.

For reference, here are the first two ads in this series:

Matt Brownell is the consumer and retail reporter for DailyFinance. You can reach him at Matt.Brownell@teamaol.com, and follow him on Twitter at @Brownellorama.

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

deepbluehunt

AWFUL , DEMEANING , RACIST ?? ARE YOU SERIOUS ??? LOOSEN UP FRANCIS !!!!
FUNNIEST DAMN COMMERCIAL IVE SEEN IN AGES !!! HAVE SEEN IT AT LEAST A DOZEN TIMES WITH MY KIDS >>> WE LAUGH ARE PANTS OFFFFFF ….. OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO CANT FIND HUMOR ON SUCH A SPOOF OF AMERICANA … DONT WATCH IT YOU LAMES !!!! GO YELL AT YOUR KIDS OR HUSBANDS / WIFES ….KICK THE CAT EVEN …..HA …LOL…. GEEZZZZ….

July 16 2014 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drew Haywood-Larsen

I think it marginalizes all Americans and other countries look at America and see these commercials as this is what all america is like, and I think that is not true. While Yes some children do act and talk like this, not all American children are raised to talk and act like this. I grew up in lower class and poverty stricken environments, yet I do not act or talk like this and certainly did not as a child and or teenager. It really is racist and offensive. I know many Black people who raise their children better and if their child talked or acted in this manner they would get whooped. I think the thought behind it may be that black people and people in lower income areas act like this and or allow their children to act and talk like this and it would reach them on their level. While I do think some do allow their children to act and talk like this, not all do. They are putting all black people into this category.

August 10 2013 at 1:53 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rkbufkin

Got as much sense of humor as the next person but these commercials are stupid and just shows how much our society is going to hell in a hand basket.. Whoever approved these ads should be canned.

August 04 2013 at 12:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
heather.oakum

cannot believe they would do this to let all of our white kids see this! it is obnoxious and is just showing good kids how to act ignorant and ghetto!

August 01 2013 at 3:11 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
GILBERT

I LIKE THE **** MY PANTS BETTER LOL

July 18 2013 at 12:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Regina

THIS IS THE MOST DEMEANING AND AWFUL COMMERCIAL I HAVE EVER SEEN . GET RID OF IT NOT SO SMART K-MART.

July 18 2013 at 12:07 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Kay

I also saw the new comercial and thought it was terrible!

Recently I went to my local Kmart and since I am handi-capped I took an electric cart. There were only two available. When I started to go through the store, here comes a young person, about 10 yrs old on a cart making hot rod noises and asked me if I wanted to race! I only used the cart for a short time, even going to the ladies room. When I came out of the ladies room a young black boy, about 10 yrs old, was on my cart and his mother was telling him to just push the button! Apparently he was going to take my cart! When they saw me they left right away. Shortly after,my cart started to go dead, the battery was bad, so I took it to the front of the store and there was only one other cart there. I tried to use that one and it was completely dead and NOT plugged in. Meanwhile there were two boys riding around the store on electric carts playing. When I questioned the lady at the service desk about this, she just shrugged her shoulders and walked away! I left the store, unable to do any shopping that day and I will NEVER go back there. I asked the lady at the service counter if that is how they treat their handicapped customers? She never did answer me, just continued to walk away! Kmart is going down the tubes for sure! I for one will never shop at any Kmart and I tell all of my friends to not shop there either! I complained to Sears Holding about what happened and they said someone from that store would contact me. It has been over a week, going on two weeks and still no one has contacted me. And they wonder why there customers are going down??????

July 17 2013 at 10:39 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

This is an awful commercial! It is like watching Chantel at the Zimmermann trial. Stupid mad totally illiterate!
This is the crap our Govt. run schools are teaching and why there is a 40% unemployment rate among black youths!
Who shops at Kmart anyway!
This country is doomed that is for sure!

July 17 2013 at 9:33 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Codger

Racist insults to someone's mother aren't funny. I wish K-Mart would just hurry up and go out of business.

July 17 2013 at 9:06 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
emcsn

Boy talk about making fun of black people. But then again that's who shops at k-mart

July 17 2013 at 8:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply