J.C. Penney Says 'We're Listening.' Here's Who They Should Listen To

JC Penney
AOL / JCP
Spare a sympathetic thought, if you will, for J.C. Penney's social media team.

The poor souls manning J.C. Penney's (JCP) Facebook page on the day it released its now-famous "apology" had the unenviable task of responding to nearly every commenter who had something to say about the retailer's failed makeover and subsequent about-face. And the fans had a lot to say: In the week since it released its video apology, the post has racked up nearly 20,000 comments.

Those comments run the gamut from praise to criticism to unhinged rants (we're especially fond of the commenter who bemoaned the "glittery hoochie mama clothing and wannabe thug jerseys"). But fans also had some very specific suggestions for how the new management can turn things around, and a few of them seem like they're really onto something.

J.C. Penney's comeback campaign is centered around a simple, two-word phrase: "We're listening." Here are some of the suggestions they should be listening to.

Matt Brownell is the consumer and retail reporter for DailyFinance. You can reach him at Matt.Brownell@teamaol.com, and follow him on Twitter at @Brownellorama.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

Liz

The pricing is illogical. a shirt for 28 and a dress for 17. And kmart and walmart have better quality clothes and displayed nicer. It looks like a low end store inside anymore.

May 12 2013 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

Penney's shot themselves in the foot by pushing size "0" clothing that fits a regular-sized 12 year old and/or one hundred pound teen, in styles and garrish colors befitting a Kardashian on the prowl. Remember J.C., those kids can't afford to buy their own clothes, WE have to pay for them - and sorry, they look cheap and tacky. Those teens you are targeting are now all back shopping at Forever 21! Bad move. Bring back the classics before it's too late.

May 12 2013 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josephvo1

I hoped I would finally find something today when I went shopping, but the St Johns Bay line was for the young and not much to choose from. One clerk said that more will be coming in and a clerk in another department told me they would not be bringing in any more merchandise. What's up? Don't leave all of your regular, older customers out in the cold. We do like to shop.

May 11 2013 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ilse

I used to shop Penneys but now I can never find anything small enough or short enough since I am only 5\'1\". What happened to the petite section? It is totally gone from our store and, at my age, most junior sized clothing is too immature or too short. And most of the clothes are now too edgy for my tastes as I lean toward classic styles. I am not happy at all with the current JCP.

May 11 2013 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phyllssal

One a.m. I had a date to have coffee down the street with a gal friend. She met me at the door with an insert from the a.m. paper of JCP's current ad. She said to me, " tell me which one of these are you going to buy for Easter?." I had already seen the slick paper insert with the toothpick leg jeans and I said to her, you've got to be joking!" "I am, she said for I wouldn't be caught dead in anything in this brochure." "It's strictly teenage bulemic clothes."I agreed that there was nothing out there that was for an older woman who has MONEY to spend and nowhere to spend it except on foreign made clothes!

May 11 2013 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skyscuba33

GO BACK TO THE CATALOG DAYS !!

May 11 2013 at 6:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Skyscuba33's comment
joeypamela

You are 100 percent correct......I bought lots of items through the catalog when it was issued.....

May 11 2013 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
claudia

I have shopped at JCP for 49 years. This was my first credit card. The past few years have been terrible. It's not the products, but there has not been anything that makes me interested in going. The advertising was terrible. I like sales, coupons, etc. Hopefully things will get better now. I would hate to see more people lose their jobs in this lousey economy.

May 11 2013 at 6:01 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
selelisa.steele

I used to shop at
JCP every week. I loved their clothes, especially the Worthington collection. But now when I go into the store all I see is junk. The Worthington collection has turned into mini skirts with suit jackets for young kids. It used to be a classy section for working professional adults. Now I am forced to go to Macy's to buy my clothes. I cannot go into the work environment with a mini skirt on and expect to be treated in a professional manner. And the shoes are all stilettos or shall I say hooker heels! I am 5'10 and I do not need hooker heels in the work place. What happened to sexy but modest looking? That's why I paid off my JCP card and I wont be back. Thanks JCP you just lost another unsatisfied customer.

May 11 2013 at 5:34 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
linda31

JCP is now a pimped out Dollar Store

May 11 2013 at 4:38 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
monsterinked

well thank GAWD you have the gays to blame for the downfall of Pennys. what a bunch of BIGOTS

May 11 2013 at 3:12 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply