DirecTV to Offer DogTV, a Channel for Your Pet

Dog TV
YouTube.com
Cable and satellite TV providers give you access to hundreds of channels, but all of them are clearly intended for human viewers. That's about to change.

Bloomberg reports that DirecTV will soon start showing DogTV, the world's first television channel whose target audience has four legs and a tail.

The network explains on its website that it features 24/7 programming "created to meet specific attributes of a dog's sense of vision and hearing and supports their natural behavior patterns."

It goes on to explain that the channel "helps prevent mental fatigue, depression and boredom." Clearly, the idea here is to keep your dog from getting anxious or restless while you're off at work. Some of the programming is meant to relax the dog by showing other dogs chilling by a pond or sleeping peacefully; some is meant to stimulate the dog by showing other dogs at play, as seen here:

We can't help but wonder if seeing those lucky dogs frolic and play might provoke feelings of canine jealousy in a housebound pooch. Another possible scenario is that your dog will get a little too excited and try to join in on the fun.

But the channel's animal behavior experts insist that the veterinary science underlying the approach is sound. If you want the channel for your pooch -- or you think you'd enjoy watching dogs play on your television all day -- you'll be able to get it in the third quarter for just $6 a month.

Matt Brownell is the consumer and retail reporter for DailyFinance. You can reach him at Matt.Brownell@teamaol.com, and follow him on Twitter at @Brownellorama.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

metalgddess

oh great..thats all i need.. my dogs already lay around doin nothing. they don't help around the house. Just sleepin, eating me out of house and home...They threw a kegger last week on my dime.. Lazy bums... lol j/k!!!

April 12 2013 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clyogi

One of my dog already watches television. He does not seem to care what channel he is watching. If he did, he would take the remote and change the channel.

April 11 2013 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
freeetob

What is this crazy elevation of dogs to "personhood" about? They are now riding in grocery carts and eating in restaurants. While I leave my beloved pooch at home where she belongs, I have to walk around (if I'm lucky) dog poop in the mall? Sick, sick, sick!

April 11 2013 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
myersalliance

Is it really needed...why?

April 11 2013 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trilbyb

This would be my worst nightmare. My Aussie shepherd can see television. She can be at the other end of the house and hear the first two notes of an ad with a dog in it and come running to scream at the TV. Even if the dog is on the screen for two seconds. Not only dogs, but horses, cats, and most anything with four legs. Even Brian on Family Guy. She tries to chase tennis balls, golf balls, or baseballs on television. My border collie could see them too, but figured out they don't come out of the screen.

April 11 2013 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard

No Glenn Beck but yes to dogs. Thank you Directv for keeping Glenn Beck off of Directv.

April 11 2013 at 2:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
frankc1932

Direct T V going to the dogs? Seems to me they are already there...They have the poorest selections..No good movies.. Stupid shows.. Now seems to me U Verse is the place to go .. especially if you homebound and old.. and the price just goes up and up..

April 11 2013 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mojo5654

Interesting, but I'm not paying extra for it. I already pay for 250 channels and watch only 10 of them. Why do I want to pay an extra $6 to make it 11 channels? This should be a bundled channel.
Another reason why the streaming services and a good old fashioned antenna will eventually outpace the dish/direct services.

April 11 2013 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lamangan1

That is very nice, but when are they getting The Blaze?

April 11 2013 at 9:13 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Butch

Screw the damned dog tv.....i just wish they'd have the ONE local PBS channel I watch! I have to keep my Charter Cable just to watch ONE freaking channel!

April 11 2013 at 8:42 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply