Money Minute: CBS's 'Big Bang' Dilemma; Coke Gambles on Homemade Soda

The NFL carries a bigger bang than "The Big Bang Theory." The NFL has awarded a series of extra games for next season to CBS (CBS). In addition to the Sunday afternoon AFC games it already carries, the network will broadcast the first 8 Thursday night games of the season.

The deal means CBS will have to find a temporary new home for one of its most popular sitcoms, "The Big Bang Theory." But the other 8 Thursday games will still be shown on the NFL Network, which is a premium priced channel on most cable systems. CBS will also get a pair of late season Saturday games.

First Coke came in a bottle, then a can, and soon in a little plastic pod. Coca-Cola (KO) has inked a $1.3 billion deal for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) to create an in-home system for cold beverages. Like its Keurig coffeemakers and K-Cup packs, the Vermont-based company will produce single-serve cold drinks.

Twitter's (TWTR) first quarterly earnings since going public last year were good, but not good enough. Revenue more than doubled,
but Twitter remains unprofitable -- and the company's pace of growth seems to be slowing. I can tell you in less than 140 characters: the stock is set to slide today.

The Dow Jones industrial average (^DJI) edged lower Wednesday, losing 5 points. We haven't seen back-to-back gains in more than three weeks. The Nasdaq composite (^IXIC) fell 20 and the Standard & Poor's 500 index (^GPSC) slipped 3 points.

It's getting harder to find free checking. The Wall Street Journal reports that more lenders are imposing fees. In fact, 41 percent of U.S. banks no longer offer free checking accounts. That's up from 33 percent just a year ago. What's more, consumers with lower bank balances are likely to be hit the hardest.

Boehringer Ingelheim, the German maker of Pradaxa, has reportedly tried to hide internal documents that show the blood-thinning drug can cause fatal bleeding. Pradaxa, which has been taken by 850,000 patients since being approved in 2010, has now been linked to more than 1,000 deaths.

-Produced by Drew Trachtenberg.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

Iselin007

Ezekiel Rogers (1588-1661) (wiki) was an English nonconformist clergyman, and Puritan settler of Massachusetts. Of the 20 Yorkshire families that accompanied him from Rowley, Yorkshire and Rowley, Massachusetts, almost half were our direct ancestors. We’re here in part because he didn’t like the Book of Sports. What would he have thought of 10am start times for NFL football on the West Coast?

February 06 2014 at 4:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

CBS and the NFL would of never came together if it wasn for our early ancestors who settled in the colonies. If our great ancestor hadn't stuck with General George Washington during the War of Independence Ronald Reagan would of never played Football, been governor of California or Presdient of the United States! Half of my family was split between the patriots and the loyalists. If the other side of my family one there would of been crimpets and tea only !

February 06 2014 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jana

And once again, sports sucks!!!! This really is infuriating, and I'm getting tired of waiting Sunday nights for my shows to start because of football, and now I have to rearrange again on Thursdays! Tell you the truth, I'm about done with CBS altogether! If I just don't start watching the shows I won't miss them, so guess CBS is on it's way out at my house........

February 06 2014 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jana's comment
jdmurphy47

And this is the very reason that I just LOVE my DVR - I just schedule it to record my programs plus the next one in order to catch any delayed programs. And then I watch them when I want to NOT when any broadcaster shows it. I am in control!!

February 06 2014 at 4:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

My ancestors left England in the early 1600's because of sports! That is the real reason for people coming because of religion. The crown allowed sports to be played on Sunday. The Book called the book of sports infuriated the church people. The church people known as Puritans did not want sports played on Sunday so they got up and left for the colonies in New England. CBS should tell the story of the freedom of religion which meant to be free of Sports on Sunday!

February 06 2014 at 4:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ktz1017

Well that is, quite frankly, ANNOYING. I like Big Bang Theory, could care less about the NFL and they already take up too much time on television, along with the NBA, MLB and NHL. Don't get me started on boring awards shows, and so on, and so on, and....Just keep my shows on and I'll just watch my DVR.

February 06 2014 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

After missing your programs the last thing you want to hear it's history month for one select group. How about this lets here about our history during history month because we got here before all these other people!

It was only the American Indian and my people before everyone else so rudely forced their way into the lime light!

February 06 2014 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

They should add the commercial cost on to the sports tickets because we shouldn' have to miss our programs and pay for the progams we never got to see!

February 06 2014 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
petpetdon

CBS screws up the Sunday programming because they force so many commercials into the football games. Games used to be played in under three hours. Many are now 4 hours. 60 minutes doesn't start until 30 to 45 minutes later. Now they want to screw up Thursday night.
Put The Big Bang on Wednesday nights as there isn't anything else worth watching that night.

February 06 2014 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

I remember when Coke came in the Small glass bottles in the 1960's. The five and dime store we had down the street had a Coke Machine. I worked occasionally for the store and worked there helping a friend get his sunday papers ready for the store's shelves. Both of us did things for the store like cleaning floors, rugs and straighting up the place. The bottles of Coke came in wooden crates that were stacked in the basement then removed to fill the machine. Often we would get free small bottles of Coke. It was great back then free bottles of Coke and Candy. We even had those famous red M&M's before they were pulled from the market because of the dye in the candy. Those were the last days of the penny candy after that the price rose throught out the Viet Nam War era. Even the Coke now put into cans was costing 85c in the machine hardly a good deal like the free bottles of Coke we were privileged to get. :)

February 06 2014 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PTConsultingNHR

You've got to be kidding me...................

February 06 2014 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

Enough of these forced programs! We use to get the heavy weight fights for free until they all got greedy with that closed circuit TV.! We buy the products in the stores That the Commercial advertisers buy commercial time for. Why we paying for TV? Who were the politicians that passed this paid cable crap!

They are all on the take not satisfied with picking our pockets now they have to mug us for every dime!

February 06 2014 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply