5 Good Reasons to Avoid the Mall on Black Friday

Nov. 23, 2012 - Modesto, CA, USA - Black Friday at Vintage Fair Mall in Modesto CA Thursday Nov. 22th 2012 night brought in seve
Alamy
Some people don't need to be told to stay away from the mall on Black Friday.

The long lines, teeming crowds, packed parking lots and occasional eruptions of violence are enough to convince many people that shopping on Black Friday is a fool's errand. They know there are some good discounts to be found, but they just can't stomach all that chaos.

Still, tens of millions of Americans will throw caution to the wind and descend on the mall on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, seeking those huge doorbusters and deep discounts.

We understand the impulse to want to save money at all costs. But is Black Friday really the deal bonanza that it's cracked up to me? Are the prices good enough to justify standing in line and braving the crowds?

We're not so sure they are. Here are a few reasons why hitting the mall on Black Friday is one family tradition you may want to abandon.

Matt Brownell is the consumer and retail reporter for DailyFinance. You can reach him at Matt.Brownell@teamaol.com, and follow him on Twitter at @Brownellorama.

How to Avoid Financial Scams

Avoid getting duped by financial scams.

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

hsstempe

with all the i stay home votes, who the hell is at the malls? You guys take all the fun out of a giant party that gives people a buzz and they feel good about themselves. who in hell needs needs you folks. STAY HOME AND SHUT UP! AMAZON WAS INVENTED FOR YOU.

November 04 2013 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loulou751

LET ME TELL U WHAT GOES ON ON BLACK FRIDAY. I USED TO WORK IN A FAMOUS DEPARTMENT STORE. A FLIER GOES OUT TO THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WITH UNBELIEVABLE DEALS AND SALES. THE STORE WILL ONLY GETS '"6" OF AN ITEM OR NEVER EVEN RECEIVE IT AT ALL. WE R INSTRUCTED TO SAY " SORRY BUT WE R SOLD OUT. JUST TO GET U INTO THE STORE!! IT'S NOT WORTH IT. I RATHER SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND AVOID ALL THAT BS!!!!!

November 04 2013 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Artie

Anyone who goes near a mall on Black Friday or shops at the malls on weekends during the holiday season is a gluton for punishment or just nutz. You have to be a kid, a teenager, or out of your mind to have the kind of patience to deal with those crowds and the insanity. I prefer.... serenity now!!

November 04 2013 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jragga

Stay home! Doesn't everyone have a computer, a t.v. and a videogame system already?! What more junk do people really need?

November 04 2013 at 2:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arriethom1

If u r looking for major discounts, u can do your shopping online and throughout the year. I start shopping and putting things away around early September. Thanksgiving is one of the few times that I get to enjoy my family and I\'m not going to ruin that to fight the cold and crazy people to save $100 dollars on a TV. I guess I\'m a traditionalist and believe in preserving the integrity of Thanksgiving.

November 03 2013 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carnage_2012

Pretty soon Black Friday will occur on June 27th

November 03 2013 at 10:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tylerbeach2002

I NEVER head out anywhere on Black Friday. You have to be suicidal or crazy to get in your car and head out to go shopping on Black Friday. You're also not that bright considering that everything can be done online now. No reason whatsoever to go out shopping.

November 03 2013 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zygi & paris

First reason would be to preserve your sanity.

November 03 2013 at 10:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
betty_brock

Not to mention there may be a nut with a gun.

November 03 2013 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennypenny06

I stay away from all stores Thanksgiving weekend! You couldn't PAY me to brave the psychotic crowds at the mall! I haven't set foot in a store on Black Friday since my days working retail from 2000 through 2006!

November 03 2013 at 8:50 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jennypenny06's comment
mizzb8864

I would rather be working than go to the mall on Black Friday.

November 03 2013 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply