Sprint and T-Mobile offer further price discounts
Mark Lennihan/AP
By Marina Lopes

WASHINGTON -- Sprint (S) has unveiled a plan that gives subscribers access to unlimited data for $60 a month, the industry's cheapest unlimited data offering as the carrier attempts to reverse the decline in its subscriber base.

Wireless carriers have been going after each others' subscribers as they try to increase revenue in a nearly saturated market.

Sprint's new offerings are $20 cheaper than T-Mobile's unlimited plan and are available to new and existing customers who bring in their own cellphone or pay full price for a new one.

The announcement comes just hours after rival T-Mobile US (TMUS) launched a campaign to lure subscribers away from other carriers. If an existing customer is able to persuade a subscriber of another carrier to switch to T-Mobile, both will get upgraded to an unlimited data plan for free for one year.

Earlier this week, Sprint doubled data offerings for customers in family plans, while industry leader Verizon Communications slashed prices for its unlimited talk and text plan.

Price cuts are a top priority for Sprint's new chief executive, Marcelo Claure, as he attempts to turn around a company plagued by customer defections due to a network overhaul that has caused gaps in coverage.

Sprint shares ended Thursday trading up 1.1 percent to $5.56, while T-Mobile shares slipped 1.8 percent to $29.16 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

Slow

I need a Phone I am ready now...

August 24 2014 at 11:53 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jasonmilesinc

they already have a $60 plan. after about a week of normal use, you'll get a text saying they've reduced your speed to slower than dial up status. unlimited with AT&T means unlimited, but with sprint it means a week. They are complete and utter liars.

August 24 2014 at 12:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cobaltmuscle

The reason Sprint is losing it's customers, is because of connectivity. They are redoing their towers, (so they say). Dropped calls, unsent text, no internet. SpentSO much of my time trying to get bogus solutions. Realized when an actual employees confessed to me that she had the same issues as I did. So did MANY others. I just left Sprint after 21+ years, and the last ten months has been incredulous. Check their FB page out, it is riddled with complaints. Sprint is a lying, bullying company that is a desperate sinking ship! Their customer service is HORRIBLE. They pretend to care. I went to Verizon. Lowered my bill, have the best connectivity, got a free phone, they bought my phone & gave me Visa gift card. Now, I'm H A P P Y!

August 23 2014 at 10:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ATM

I will forward the marketing material to the Atty General and Sun Times. Tired of corporations marketing something that they may change after a contract is signed. VOTE TO DISALLOW TOS AGREEMENTS THAT ALLOW COMPANIES TO UNILATERALLY CHANGE THE DATA PRICING WITHIN A CONTRACT _ DEMAND 1 PAGE TOS AGREEMENTS IN ENGLISH, NOT LEGALEZE.

August 23 2014 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ATM

I had such an extreme hassle with Sprint when they marketed a 2 year unlimited 4G HOtspot, and then changed the prcing ten months into it and said their Terms of Service Agreement allowed such changes - boycott and demand corporate citizenship to act properly. I do n ot support SPRINT and caution consumers against feeding into their need to try to win you based on pricing, unless they unequivocally state that prices cannot be changed during the contract. Changing data pricing plans in the middle of the contract is bait and switch in my opinion and demands boycott action. SPRINT- if you want our business, then publish in one page straight English, that the pricing will not change for the duration of the contract - don't hide behind a TOS .

August 23 2014 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
socioeconomist1

Unlimited actually means 5GB...

August 23 2014 at 3:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jay

If One of the four came out with Unlimited Everything for $40 a month and keep there phone buys the same not where you have to buy the phone out right then tons of ppl would switch to them and stop spending money on ads and get more towers up. have to have a good foundation would speak for itself and stocks would hit the top.

August 22 2014 at 6:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sikes442

I switched to Cricket wireless, owned by At&T, using their network. Unlimited talk, text and data for $40 a month. First 500mb is 4G LTE and throttled after that. They have 2.5 gb for $50 and 5gb for $60. Works for me because I'm on wireless at home and work.

August 22 2014 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sikes442

x

August 22 2014 at 4:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tac6930

Your article is dead wrong...Tmobile charges $50 for its unlimited plan ...still ten dollars less than what Sprint is offering

August 22 2014 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply