Target to Woo Customers with Later Hours at Some Stores

A Target Store at Night
John Crowe/Alamy
Target (TGT) will extend shopping hours at more than half of its 1,800 stores, as it gears up for the holiday shopping season and seeks to snag more shoppers.

The new hours will keep stores open until 11 p.m. or midnight and until 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. on Sundays, The Wall Street Journal reports. The extended hours aren't universal and some stores may only be open later on weekends.

The new extended hours are starting this month and will be in effect through the holidays, after which they will be evaluated, the Journal said.

Though 10 and 11 p.m. aren't peak shopping times, Target believes enough late-night shoppers will show up to make it worth the costs of paying staff and keeping stores open longer.

The chain retailer has been cutting prices to woo customers, and recently cut its outlook for the year, citing more promotions and weaker sales in Canada. It reports earnings Wednesday.

Rival Walmart (WMT) keeps 70 percent of its stores open 24 hours a day.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

lulabellar

I love shopping late at night!! It's pretty much just you and the stock people and I'm possitive there is just as much shoplifting during the other hours. Of course I am extra careful when I walk in the parking lot and I park close to the door and in a well lit area, but I won't step foot in a Walmart before 9 or 10 pm. I can't deal with the rudness of the shoppers and their kids. My children NeVER behaved badly in public...more than once, that is! But that's neither here nor there, the point is I love to shop at night...I come alive when the sun goes down!

August 19 2014 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmokel

The only reason that Wal Mart stores are not all open 24 hours is that after midnight the shoplifters take over and there is nothing the store can do about it. People in Colton Ca did not even trt to hide the stolen items. They said what are you going to do about it.

August 19 2014 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
luvantique

If Target wants shoppers, they should get rid of their awful, agressive red store colors. Hate going to a Target store. Decor around a single color is a bad idea anyway (are you listening Walmart, Target, etc?), but if they absolutely have to do it, why would they pick a color that presents such an irritating, in-your-face atmosphere? Dumb!!!

August 19 2014 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DOUG

I will shop at a Wal-mart any day before I step foot in a target store. Feel free to pass this on the marketing branch. Your store bores me and your prices are by no means competitive.

August 19 2014 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hi

How about self check outs....Concept

August 18 2014 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
topaz59

Another desperate effort to stay alive. The way the world is nowadays, who would want to go shopping that late at night. Target is just creating another heaven for carjackers, purse snatchers and other criminals.

August 18 2014 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DMan

Target has cut all their employees hours down to 25.5 per week! Why hasn't anyone reported on this?

August 18 2014 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tman1253

I went there twice recently and they had 2 registers open and long lines at those. The second time I walked in the door and seen the longgggggggggg lines and only two registers open. I thought I was at Walmart and turned and walked out the door.... They could at least pattern after Wally's and have some of those self checkout registers... With this and the Christmas fiasco last season I think I will go to Wally's... At least I know what to expect there.

August 18 2014 at 9:24 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nnjtickler

its horrible
years ago stores were only open 9-6 and closed weekends and people managed to still buy things.
This just caters to the people who do not plan.
People running last minute on xmas eve, when stores are about to close ..they have no sense of time and are inconsiderate to the staff who work in the stores

August 18 2014 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Get rid of K(rap) Mart and leave Target and Walmart alone.

August 18 2014 at 8:28 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply