26 Ways to Trim Your Household Costs, Room by Room

Our homes rank high on the list of potential money sucks. From heating to cleaning to keeping things in order, homeowners spend a lot of hard-earned cash maintaining their spaces.

Thankfully, that means our homes are also full of the potential to save (or even earn) us money, and even small tweaks can have a big impact on your bottom line. Let's go room by room and explore the savings opportunities under your roof.

Paula Pant ditched her 9-to-5 job in 2008. She's traveled to 30 countries, owns six rental units and runs a business from her laptop. Her blog, Afford Anything, is a gathering spot for rebels who refuse to say, "I can't afford it." Visit Afford Anything to learn how to shatter limits and live life on your own terms.

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

Economics 101

Intro to economics. But fun.

aaaacorebasics

aaaacorebasics.com
Flexibility is an option and to work at home is a privilege
If you are looking for great pay and are willing to train you
can start today!
Call Us!

August 06 2014 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladyluk1972

Call your Electric company and ask them when rates are cheapest, mine are after 5 and weekends, do you cooking and laundry then. Also, I have my thermostat at 62 in winter and we all wear sweats and no problem, been doing that for a couple of years now.

July 21 2014 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maurice Dobb

Yes, LED lights save a lot of electricity. I know this as I’ve done this recently in my house. However, many may feel that the lighting may not be sufficient as the light is very localized in this but it is enough for me especially for my purpose. The second important thing I’ve used is the Netflix. It rocks. Can’t help saying that working as a blogger for https://www.orbex.com/en/reg2/registerDemo I’ve gone through many financial blog posts. But this blog post really is unique and shows that the writer has written original and authentic experiences. Thanks for such a well written one. I’ll definitely give try to the other points regarding TV, Electronics, Furniture, and Heating/Cooling.

July 13 2014 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joytotheworld454

My husband and I , installed energy efficient windows, new electric water heater ,and heating system , and bought new energy saving appliances. I did not see any savings worth talking about , because our electric compamy raised their rates .

July 06 2014 at 3:28 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
alfrankenfool

I trimmed our business expenses by firing more Liberal Democrats and replacing them with hard working conservatives.

July 06 2014 at 11:18 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
petpetdon

Don't shave or brush your teeth and leave the water running. You waste water and over time the cash adds up.

CFL and LED bulbs SUCK, especially if you actually want to see.
I got rid of cable years ago and have never looked back. I use Netfix and Hulu Plus. ATT provides my internet.

July 06 2014 at 2:21 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
petpetdon

You forgot one of the biggest drains on a household. The lawn and shrubs. Water, fertilizer, mowing, etc. That all adds up.

July 06 2014 at 2:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

There is a lot of good advice in this article. No question that a lot of "little" household expenses have the potential to sink your financial boat, because they can really add up to a lot of wasted money.

What I don't like is that most of these money-saving articles always endorse the idea of buying new expensive appliances to replace the ones you have that are still working. No major appliances are cheaply priced. It can take YEARS to actually save any money by doing this.

In the meantime, you have shelled out thousands of dollars to buy those new appliances. Then, (hopefully) you have to s-l-o-w-l-y get that money back on lower utility bills. Worse yet, you might have paid for those purchases using a credit card.

It's always smarter to approach with caution the idea of "saving money" by spending a lot of $$$ on some new purchase.

July 05 2014 at 8:43 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
crimeslawyer

Don't cut back. Live and have fun.

July 05 2014 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alfredschrader

WHOOPS ! Be very carefully buying used furniture because of bedbugs. They are very fast and intelligent. Once they get into your walls, you are stuck. Ever see what looks like a new matress in the recycle pile ? Don't touch it - very like it contains bed bugs.

As for heating or cooling costs, fans are great in the Summer. In the winter the coldest time is during the night up to the point when the sun comes out.
Most people are in bed during those hours, so why heat the entire house when you are not using it ? A small. quiet zone heater in your bedroom can save you plenty when you turn off the big unit. Only run the energy guzzler during daylight hours.
Best time to buy heaters and electric blankets is in the Summer when they can't give them away.

July 05 2014 at 7:24 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply