10 Little Household Habits That May Be Costing You a Fortune

Lots of money could be going down the drain, out the window and elsewhere, if you're falling victim to these behaviors at home.

Sometimes, the easiest ways to save are right under your nose.

You might be diligent about clipping coupons, hunting for bargains, and comparing prices while shopping, but if you're not paying more attention to your home, you could be missing out on some serious savings. Here are 10 common ways your home could be losing you money -- and what to do about them:

Paula Pant ditched her 9-to-5 job in 2008. She's traveled to 30 countries, owns six rental units and runs a business from her laptop. Her blog Afford Anything is a gathering spot for rebels who refuse to say, "I can't afford it." Visit Afford Anything to learn how to shatter limits and live life on your own terms.

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

Introduction to Retirement Funds

Target date funds help you maintain a long term portfolio.

integr8er

Lots of issues with this article, but the biggest one is buying new appliances. New Appliances are JUNK! my washer is 30 years old and going strong as are most of my others. True new ones may use less power, but they can cost upwards of $1000 for something like a refrigerator, and they save only maybe $100 a year and only last 7-10 years so you never even break even. No way will I change my perfectly good items for this new crap.

June 29 2014 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rdcabe

The cutting of the cord is just the revoiution of wireless devices. It's a $2.2 trillion industry. It really does not refer to one stock as motley fool wants to fool you about. Many M2M witeless companyies will profit. Cars that will drive them self , security systems , clould systems, appliances, tv streamers, Tablets, cell phones,thermostats, you name it.

June 08 2014 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nthereoff

Save money running your house is smart. Turn down your hot water heater when gone for more then a day or two. Always shut water coming into house while your gone. Don"t want to come to a surprise. I do keep the heat up during winter, hate being cold.

May 28 2014 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ms. Ladycaroline

i use surge cords on all of my tv's, computors, radios, etc. when I retire for the night I turn everything off, unplug everydam thing that is connected.
I also use night lights that use batteries that turn on and off automatic each night. I bought the older model television sets, which use less electricity to run, etc. I use ceiling fans instead of A/C if the weather is not hotter than 90 degrees. I cook meals and freeze for about a week. Yes I even unplug the Microwave . The LED bulbs really are cheeper to run.

May 28 2014 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ms. Ladycaroline's comment
integr8er

You have been fed a lie. The "vampire" current that something like a TV uses is milli-amps, which translates to maybe 3 cents a year. Not using A/C yep that saves, lower the temp in winter that is a savings, but buying batteries in order to not buy grid power is a huge waste of $ no power costs more than a battery.

June 29 2014 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gryeyes2

hi

May 27 2014 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buy-n-Sell-Brothers

this is all propaganda BS put up by comcast.....thieving bastards......

May 27 2014 at 10:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Closing off the vents to the rooms you don't use....nonsense! In FL if you do that in the summer you will, have mold in that room.

May 27 2014 at 7:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
sbmc373681

where is television going and what will replace it?????

May 27 2014 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clarissa49

I replace appliances when they "die."

May 27 2014 at 6:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to clarissa49's comment
integr8er

Yes, and NEVER before. You can NEVER cost justify replacing a working unit with a new one on energy consumption

June 29 2014 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rutch8

i bought the energy efficiency appliances and furnace and it has not saved me any money its a trick to get you in debt. also tv's, phones and computors has lights that never go out. so how do you save?

May 27 2014 at 6:05 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply