Why You Should Never Wash Your Jeans

Why You Shouldn't Wash Your Jeans

By Ashley Lutz

Levi's CEO Chip Bergh says you should keep your jeans out of the washing machine.

Bergh lives by his words and hasn't washed his own jeans in more than a year, reports Neha Prakash at Mashable.

The executive claims that eschewing the washing machine keeps your jeans in mint condition and is better for the environment.

Bergh was speaking at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference, where business leaders discuss ways to be more sustainable.

Bergh also discussed how Levi's created a line of jeans that take less water to produce.

Here's a video of his comments from Fortune.
In the past, Levi's has suggested freezing your jeans instead of putting them in a washing machine. The company told Elle Magazine that doing this once a month would keep jeans from smelling bad.

Not washing jeans has become somewhat of a craze.

TV host Anderson Cooper famously said he wears the same pair daily and only washes them once a year.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

Linda Murray

very interesting...prerequisite: must not live in humid locations or perform any labor intense activity...sweat rots cotton over a period of time...difficult to remove smoke and other strong odors by freezing alone. Would like to hear from those who dont wash jeans over extended periods, not just a few years...Thanks

July 16 2014 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oarhe

Honestly I don't wash my jeans that often either because they ted to run, fade and get worn out alot quicker if i do. I probably wash my Jeans like once every 2 months and something major must have happened to them. Lets break this down further ... I don't think he is tell contruction workers not to wash their jeans or farmers or those jeans u wear for house work, but "fashion jeans" meaning u only wear it out when u go out at night or on weekends ... u can spot clean easy not unless u are some college kid going to keggers all the time, grinding up on walls and running into spilled drinks and God forbid, throw up. Do u think this man gets into those kind of activities? Hardly doubt it. During the week he is probably in dress pants or khakis 90% of the time so it makes sense. To me anyway.

June 19 2014 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pdgrovebaskets

Does this man have ANY connection with reality? Does he have ANY clue just HOW horribly DIRTY and FILTY some people get their jeans every day at work? It's very obvious this man doesn't have one clue about blue-collar workers and what their daily lives are like, including just how dirty their clothes often become. Has he even been in a schoolyard in the last 20 years and spent time with children becoming filthy while playing a game of dodge ball, or softball or even a group of high school boys playing tackle football at a party? All the freezing in the world wouldn't get these jeans anything remotely close to something considered clean. It's VERY obvious here this Chip Bergh lives in a narrow world and is very self-centered and spoiled. I have no illusions that this man has done ANY laundry for years including his jeans and hasn't a clue as to the new and different detergents and washing machines on the market that both help preserve clothes and save on water. He can "freeze" his whole bloomin' wardrobe for all I care, I have no plans to stop washing anything.

June 19 2014 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruelkjaer

what if you **** your pants? still no wash?

June 19 2014 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
poppopwjb

I have never owned a pair of jeans in my life and i am 88years old.

June 19 2014 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to poppopwjb's comment
pdgrovebaskets

You remind me of my older relatives who have sadly all passed away by now, especially my grandmother. During her last 40 years of life she didn't even own a pair of trousers or slacks let alone a pair of "dungarees" as she called them. During her early years her father owned a dairy and her and her two sisters, as soon as they had their driver's license were required to help on the milk routes.

Due to the nature of the work, the early hours and the cold they wore trousers. Apparently she hated every minute of that. As soon as the dairy was no longer a part of her life she never wore a pair of trousers let alone even own a pair for the rest of her life. Part of what influenced her and also the way I was raised was due to her father, my great-grandfather, being Mennonite. If you're familiar with their lifestyle you know the females NEVER wear anything but dresses.

Even for me, born in 1961, the only time they had any sort of "pants" on me were snowpants or special pants as part of an outdoor playsuit my grandmother made me. I was NEVER allowed to wear "jeans" to school until I was a sophmore in high school, we're talking 1977 here. In middle school I finally talked them into allowing me to wear the "pant suites" which were in style. (Hiliary Clinton STILL wears them). I talked them into corduroys my freshman year and FINALLY, jeans, my sophmore year. By the time college came in 1979 it was jeans almost every day. Back then it was Levis that were the "IT" thing to wear and were about $25 per pair, considered an OUTRAGEOUS price at that time. In 1978 I was on a school sponsored trip to Italy and the Italian men considered us "rich American girls" all because we wore Levi jeans. This is when jeans were inching their way into every facet of life and people were now wearing them more and more and more for ALL sorts of occasions. However, you STILL didn't seem them in church at this time. Heck, I couldn't even wear dress slacks to church yet at this time. I don't think kids or even the parents today realize that within living memory jeans were NOT the go to piece of clothing for almost every event in life.

You even see people wearing them in more "up-market" restaurants now and all the time in church. In the 1960s, you NEVER saw children in jeans. In fact, you didn't even see little girls in pants. To keep us warm, we had to wear warm tights to school and for play. To be honest, I personally would LIKE to see American women get their bottoms out of jeans all the time and into more feminine clothing and that doesn't include most of the garbage I see what passes for "fashion" today.

"Blue Jeans" have their uses in this world, they're a very suitable and pratical piece of clothing for many activities in this world, but they are NOT the "be all" and "end all" of the clothing world, DESPITE what this man believes!

June 19 2014 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bricklayer

Who cares,,, Heres the funny thing about going green.. It cost a fortune when your buying " Go Green items to change to. And now that I spent a fortune changing over my to Green electric saving,,,, The electric company raised their rates to make up for their loses. "Go Green ,,,Go Faaaaaaaa yourself

June 19 2014 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GERANNIE

They want you to put those dirty stinkey jeans in the freezer and contaminate your food. Wash them,that is what water is for!

June 19 2014 at 5:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
awcantor

Disgusting! Wash them!!

June 19 2014 at 1:53 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DeputysGirl7

I didn't watch the video but there's NO WAY I'm not washing my jeans. GROSS.

June 19 2014 at 12:28 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Joe

What a piece of hogwash. These people have to much time on their hands.

June 19 2014 at 12:24 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply