12 Purchases You Should Always Negotiate On

By Abby Hayes

Americans typically don't like to haggle. It's just not part of our culture. But not haggling could be costing you lots of money. Even if you don't prefer to be pushy, you should at least politely ask for better deals on these 12 things.

Advice for Recent College Grads

Prepare yourself for the "real world".

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

Christa Sunderland

I do my best to haggle on things, since I know there is always a chance to get a better deal :)

September 22 2014 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thefacts22

I do not haggle,i negotiate.Nowdays government contracts are based on kick backs.Anybody with 1/2 brain will put everything in writing and sign a "good"contract....I always hold money until I inspect the work..NEVER do any work,buy or sell based on a hand shake

May 18 2014 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dbrockskk1

negotiating "on"? Who writes this stuff? He/she couldn't be a journalism major. Even my jr high students use better English than this. GN

May 18 2014 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ohkay12683

It's a myth. After online research, I find that it isn't improper or against any rule to end a sentence with a preposition. So lighten up and let the prepositions fly!!!

May 18 2014 at 11:06 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ohkay12683's comment
dbrockskk1

It's wrong. Period.

May 18 2014 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dbrockskk1

It's wrong. Period.

May 18 2014 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
realdealnyc

The only situation here where you should NOT haggle is with a contractor. Get your quotes and then decide on teh best contractor for you at the best price. You can force a contracotr to go down on price, but trust me, he will cut corners. Or -- he will come to you for a cpl of hours leave, go to a better job and come back to you when he can.

May 18 2014 at 1:28 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
halt1025

obomacare

May 17 2014 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thomasv260

I love to haggle as part of the buying experience, and it should never be confrontational. If I sense that a seller considers haggling as a personal affront I either pay what they want or don't buy.

Are you negotiable or willing to work with me on a cash deal, usually gets their attention without raising any hackles. If not then thank them and walk away. I agree with others that the culture in many countries is that haggling is expected.

May 17 2014 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
salmo60

When you go to buy anything, the first thing you should say is "can you work with me on price"? If the store/clerk says "No" tell them thanks and mention that you have cash and will try at another store. You might be surprised at the response and change of attitude. Never negotiate with anger or act angry, that turns people off. We, as a nation, are not hagglers. If you go to Mexico, Asian countries or the Middle East and you don't haggle, the shopkeepers think you are a fool.
Also cash is king! A couple of Benjamin can be a game changer.

May 17 2014 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slcoopr

Regarding the title of this article, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Sir Winston Churchill

May 17 2014 at 5:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
petersonentvt

I only have one issue with the list. Lawn maintenance etc. Those guys work hard and in larger areas they are already working cheap so there is no need to try and beat them up for their hard work in hot conditions. If you are that cheap that you want to haggle your lawn maintenance guy down in price then you should take care of the lawn yourself. For big projects - yes get a few bids but realize that the lowest price might be the lowest because they arent that good at what they do. If all prices are similar then go with low price but if one is 15% or more lower then the others that could signal a big problem with workmanship or a desperation to get their hands on your money. For most jobs 30% to 50% down is normal. For larger jobs it is often best to break it up in thirds or quarters or even tenths if the job is very large with payments coming based on the status of the work. You never want to get too far ahead in payments to the contractor or he has no financial incentive to finish up the work. Also if you want good work and timely work from the contractor dont mess with the money flow. In other words if you know the next payment is due Friday based on the work progress or timetable being used dont wait until Friday then tell the contractor you will process an online payment next week. Write the guy the check on time as the contractor has employees, subs and materials to pay for.

May 17 2014 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply