AT&T has approached DirecTV about a possible acquisition
Chris Ratcliffe/Bloomberg via Getty Images
By Supriya Kurane

AT&T (T) has approached DirecTV (DTV) about a possible acquisition of the satellite TV company, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the situation.

A deal would likely be worth at least $40 billion, DirecTV's current market capitalization, the newspaper said.

A combination of AT&T and DirecTV would create a pay television giant close in size to where Comcast (CMCSA) will be if it completes its pending acquisition of Time Warner Cable (TWC), the Journal said.

Representatives for AT&T weren't immediately available for comment outside of regular U.S. business hours.

DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer said the company doesn't comment on speculation.

Comcast this week agreed to a three-way deal with Charter Communications (CHTR) as part of Comcast's efforts to win regulatory approvals for its proposed $45 billion purchase of Time Warner Cable.

Charter, Comcast Reach $20 Bln Deal

Investing in Startups

The lucrative and risky world of startups.

Portfolio Basics

What are stocks? Learn how to start investing.

marysangelcat

They don't care about their retirees either. As of Jan 1 2015 they are dropping health, prescription and dental insurance for their retirees. This is how they make all the major purchases I have and ATT cell phone, contract up Dec 24, going to cancel .

May 02 2014 at 5:03 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
area51gl

I was notified by ATT I would need to get a new kind of phone after Oregon updated their systems to 3G. They offered a totally free phone with no cost,no fee and no contract. Just take this phone and keep being a family plan customer for another 9 years like you have. After being put through the ringer, intentionally lied to, hung up on, and restarting the whole order from scratch, with "7 customer service reps! I never did get the new phone! These people SUCK! When the old phone stops working.I'm changing carriers! Direct TV will get the boot!

May 01 2014 at 9:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
legalcld

IF ATT buys Directv I'll change providers! I HATE ATT and refuse to do any business with them!

May 01 2014 at 10:26 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sjspriggs

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love Directv and AT&T will turn it into another money ******* cable provider. I'm wanting to dump Verizon to get Directv back but if AT&T buys them I will have to resort to Dish. Damn it!! Why can't these conglomerates leave things alone???

May 01 2014 at 10:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
eloise

I hope this doesn't happen. I have had Directv for eighteen years. I am happy with it. I live in an area that does not get TV over the air, even with an antenna. What I have seen of cable TV I do not like. It is available for me but I also have a vacation cabin and satellite TV is the only thing available there. I have it both places and pay one bill. I have internet so can also get Netflix, etc.also. It there is a merger the service will more than likely get more expensive and go down hill.

May 01 2014 at 10:05 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lyleva

We have direct TV in Florida and cable when we are back home in Virginia. Cable is much better.

May 01 2014 at 9:27 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lyleva's comment
sjspriggs

Just wait until your contract price is up and they increase the cost by $100/month. That's what happened to me. Directv never did that.

May 01 2014 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sjspriggs's comment
ccsmichaels

My cable provider did that to me (Suddenlink) They will never be my provider again! I have DISH. I never had any of the premium services. My bill go up the second year by $20, but that was in the contract. When contract was up, I went back to basic. Bill is less than $30 with two receivers

May 01 2014 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Nathan, Delpha

Poeple are nuts to pay for tv when all you need is a small signal reciever and watch all you want FREE

May 01 2014 at 8:56 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
darinw40

I am so glad I got rid of that overpriced TV...if att buys it...things will only get worse....good luck with them you sucker customers

May 01 2014 at 8:26 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
usapaydirt

Mindboggling the sheer number of Monopolies that have formed during this economic downturn, along with much greater foreign ownership of American Companies, as well as bank mergers making institutions that are even larger than before the crash. None of this is good for the Consumer, simply put, the Government is failing to protect the Consumer from collusion through acquisition ( aka: Monopolies ) ..............

May 01 2014 at 8:13 AM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to usapaydirt's comment
cenne9000

Capitalism

May 01 2014 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bchrist751

Remember the days of roof top and rabbit ears antennas and "FREE" TV...

May 01 2014 at 7:52 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply