Have you already broken your New Year's resolution to get your finances in order this year? Or are you waiting for next Monday to get started? We've got just the help you need. It's not too late to follow award-winning humorist and personal finance expert, Brian O'Connor's column, which launched at the end of January here on DailyFinance. Every Tuesday, Brian is sharing with DailyFinance readers how to cut $1000 from their budgets and carve out savings in just 10 weeks!
Today, he's sharing part 5 of his 10-week plan (read it here). If you haven't read them all yet, you can catch up anytime.
- Week 1: Find $100 a Month in Your Financial 'Junk Drawer'
- Week 2: Turning Down Your Utility Bills
- Week 3: Shrinking Your Car-Related Costs
- Week 4: Cutting Child-Raising Costs Is Child's Play (with Some Help from Uncle Sam)
- Week 5: Trimming the Hidden Costs of Work
- Week 6: Finding Big Savings in Little Purchases
- Week 7: Don't Spend Less on Entertainment - Spend Smart
- Week 8: Life Insurance You Can Live With
To help you advance toward your savings goals, we're giving away 10 copies of his book, "The $1,000 Challenge: How One Family Slashed Its Budget Without Moving Under a Bridge or Living on Government Cheese", so you can get the benefit of his unabridged advice. Enter to win between now and March 18.
See the details below on how to enter.
DailyFinance's 'The $1,000 Challenge' Book Giveaway
- This sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
- To enter, just follow @daily_finance on Twitter and re-tweet one of our $1,000 Challenge Giveaway Tweets. To find our tweets easily, search for #dailyfinancegiveaways.
- Entry deadline is 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, March 18, 2014.
- You may enter up to 3 times (If you re-tweet one of our $1,000 Challenge Giveaway Tweets 3 times, you will get 3 entries in our giveaway).
- 10 winners will be selected in a random drawing.
- Winners will receive a "The $1,000 Challenge" book (valued at $16).
- Official Rules are below.
NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO ENTER OR
1. ELIGIBILITY: The DailyFinance Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") are open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia) who are 18 years of age or older. Employees of AOL Inc., its advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Sweepstakes, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with the Sweepstakes (collectively "Giveaway Entities") and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are not eligible. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
2. SPONSOR: The Sweepstakes are sponsored by AOL Inc., 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 ("Sponsor").
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: Participation in the Giveaway constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. ENTRY PERIOD: The start and end dates/times of each Giveaway (the "Entry Period") will be posted on the applicable Giveaway site.
5. ENTRY: To enter a Giveaway, follow the instructions on the Giveaway site. Submission will result in one (1) entry. The number of times you can enter the Giveaway will be posted on the applicable Giveaway site. The use of any agencies or automated software to submit entries will void all entries submitted by that person.
6. DRAWING: At the conclusion of the Entry Period, Sponsor will select the name(s) of the potential winner(s) in a random drawing of all eligible entries received during the Entry Period. The number of winners to be selected in a specific Giveaway will be posted on the applicable Giveaway site. The odds of being selected as a potential winner depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period. Potential winners will be contacted via email and will be asked to provide their full name, age and mailing address within a specified time period. If a potential winner does not respond within the timeframe stated in the notification email, the Sponsor may select an alternate potential winner in his/her place at random from all entries received during the Entry Period. Limit one (1) prize per household per Giveaway.
7. REQUIREMENTS OF THE POTENTIAL WINNERS: Except where prohibited, the potential winners may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release (the "Affidavit/Release") within seven (7) days of being notified. If a potential winner fails to sign and return the Affidavit/Release within the required time period, an alternate entrant will be selected in his/her place in a random drawing of all entries received. Acceptance of a prize constitutes consent for Sponsor to use winner's name and likeness for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. Limit one (1) prize per household per Giveaway.
8. PRIZE(S): The prize(s) (including each prize's approximate retail value) available to be won in a specific Giveaway will be posted on the Giveaway site. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. The winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Giveaway is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Giveaway to address the impairment and then resume the Giveaway in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prize(s) at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Giveaway or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Giveaway may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the screen name from which the entry is made. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
11. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Giveaway or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant's rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Giveaway, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
12. GIVEAWAY RESULTS: To request the name of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope (stating the specific Giveaway you are requesting the winners for) to DailyFinance Winner's List, AOL Inc., 22070 Broderick Drive, Rm 12A:H09, Dulles, VA 20166. Requests must be received within thirty (30) days from the end date of the applicable Giveaway.