Report: HealthCare.gov Can't Correct Enrollment Errors

HealthCare.gov Can't Correct Enrollment Errors
Joshua Lott/Getty ImagesSecretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius speaking last month in Detroit.
By Peter Cooney

WASHINGTON -- The HealthCare.gov website isn't yet equipped to handle appeals by thousands of consumers seeking to correct errors the system made when they were signing up for the new federal health care law, the Washington Post reported Sunday.

The newspaper, citing sources familiar with the situation, said appeals by about 22,000 people were sitting untouched in a government computer.

"And an unknown number of consumers who are trying to get help through less formal means -- by calling the health care marketplace directly -- are told that HealthCare.gov's computer system isn't yet allowing federal workers to go into enrollment records and change them," according to the Post.

It added that the Obama administration hadn't made public the problem with the appeals system.

Despite efforts by legal advocates to press the White House on the situation, "there is no indication that infrastructure ... necessary for conducting informal reviews and fair hearings has even been created, let alone become operational,"
attorneys for the National Health Law Program were quoted as saying in a December letter to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, or CMS, which oversees HealthCare.gov.

The Post quoted two knowledgeable people as saying it was unclear when the appeals process would become available.

The system is designed to allow people filing appeals to do so by computer, phone or mail. But only mail is currently available, the newspaper said.

Officials at the White House and CMS couldn't immediately be reached for comment. The Post quoted a CMS spokesman as saying the agency was working "to fully implement the appeals system."

The health care law, known as "Obamacare," is designed to provide health coverage to millions of uninsured people in the United States, but was plagued by a botched rollout in October.

The Obama administration said in late January that enrollment soared in recent weeks to about 3 million.

-Additional reporting by Roberta Rampton.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

BarB

think this entire obamacare website was just a big scam to get all the info they wanted on people...as if htey didn\'t get enough on their snooping....they just want it all and want others to have it too....pathetic really for anyone who signed on and really expected help - they bought into the scam

February 04 2014 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BarB's comment
jrb359

Notice how the president is no longer so actively involved? Almost as if he could care less about it actually having anything to do with healthcare.

February 04 2014 at 5:50 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
trbgd

More like "Unhealthy.gov" it seems like to me

February 03 2014 at 11:39 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rschli7137

My wife did it back in Nov. the easy way. She printed out the forms and did everything by mail and phone. She picked a great plan, Flex Blue 2100 by Highmark with a $500 deductible, $20 OV, $1500 max. out of pocket, and an $8 co-pay for tier 1 and tier 2 generic drugs. With subsidies it's $108/month. She received her cards the 2nd week in Dec. for use beginning Jan, 1. She's used it twice so far & kept all her doctors. (Almost all doctors accept Blue Shield). It's a Godsend for us because I retired at the end of 2013 leaving her with no insurance.

February 03 2014 at 11:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rschli7137's comment
BarB

shill, are we?

February 04 2014 at 4:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jrexmarda

Oh please. It's the government. What do you expect? Ever try talking to them about an error on your taxes? Submit your evidence by mail, talk to them for an hour about it on the phone, get shifted from an agent to his supervisor, and it's still, "So when can we expect your check for $31,573.29?" They know the amount they are after you for right down to the last cent, but can't deal with the idea of an error.

February 03 2014 at 11:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jrexmarda's comment
jdykbpl45

Obama is the error!

February 04 2014 at 8:13 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nthereoff

Let them eat cake

February 03 2014 at 9:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bdgrizcp

I\'ve had private health care my entire life--until Jan 1 this year, when I switched to a bronze level plan through Humana. Until Jan. 1st I was paying $570 a month via COBRA. With my tax credit fully applied my monthly premiums through the ACA are $54.99--quite a savings. I had to retire early due to a health condition, I\'m 63 now and when I turn 65 I\'ll be switching to Medicare. I have had very minimal problems signing up, etc., the only problem I experienced was with Humana getting them set up as an on-line payee through my bank\'s electronic bill pay. And that was fixable.

This article doesn\'t explain what those errors were and how they impacted the sign up procedure, which, I should point out, worked pretty darn well when I did it back in December. In talking with people from Humana, the number of new accounts has slowed them down a bit. Have patience, everyone. Please...we\'re all adults here. This stuff will get fixed.

I think the strangest thing about the ACA sign-up was that media reports in December seemed to suggest that if you didn\'t sign up by Jan 1st you would not have health insurance for all of 2014 or for several months, which was never true. Some people panicked. I singed up on Dec. 23 and 24 and had my cards the first week of Jan. I used the insurance to refill a script yesterday.

February 03 2014 at 9:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to bdgrizcp's comment
Nekima

america is at war with itself and dont even know know it. its the people vs the crooks liars and trash in government. its only a matter of time before history repeats itself

February 03 2014 at 9:01 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nekima's comment
BarB

isn\'t it already...only they are repeating germany\'s history...sad but true
thought we got rid of one king because we didn\'t want a monarchy...so, what did we exchange that for now...a king who thinks he is a messiah

February 04 2014 at 4:12 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
ezpayday

I have to poop.

February 03 2014 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ezpayday

Atta boy, BO!

February 03 2014 at 8:53 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
doywoods8

Gonna re-post this first one and the get out of the site I have better crap to research ----If only ppl knew lol take a look at the bottom of the Organizational Chart and you will find the answer http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_sociopol_nwo.htmh ----

February 03 2014 at 8:05 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply