AT&T Cuts Price Of Family Plans To Keep Competitive

By Sinead Carew and Julie Steenhuysen

NEW YORK -- AT&T, the No. 2 U.S. mobile provider, has announced a price cut for customers who share large data plans in its latest attempt to regain ground lost to market leader Verizon Wireless and No. 4 U.S. operator T-Mobile US.

In what the company called Saturday its "best-ever prices," AT&T (T) said a family of four can get unlimited talk and text with 10GB of shared data for $160 a month. The discounts are available to any customer,
including small businesses with up to 10 lines, and customers of other carriers who switch to AT&T.

The cuts follow recent price adjustments at all four U.S. wireless providers as they attempt to sustain growth in a mature market built on stealing growth from competitors.

AT&T and T-Mobile US (TMUS) have been competing fiercely. After T-Mobile spent several quarters directly marketing to AT&T customers, AT&T recently offered to pay T-Mobile customers to switch to its service.

As part of its new effort, AT&T, for a limited time, is offering new and existing customers a $100 credit for each new line of service.

For the fourth quarter, AT&T reported 566,000 net additional subscribers, missing Wall Street expectations and trailing market leader Verizon Wireless (VZ) (VOD), which had 1.6 million additional subscribers, and T-Mobile US, which had 869,000.

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

Hajjy Jawdat

Not discounted enough, I switched a year ago from ATT 750 minutes no DATA no Texting for $92 to T Mobile 3 phones with data and texting for less than $100 do the math, no wonder ATT loosing customer too too fast, ATT not competitive as they think

February 04 2014 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
proteus12544

I have 5 phones with ATT they are not smart phones so im sure that plays a huge roll in why my bill is 145 a month. We all share 800mins and unlimited texts. It works great for us because most of our calls are between the five phones and they are free. So I always have a ton of roll over minutes. I wound up with ATT when they bought out Unicel. Customer service is great and when I have had the rare problem they always do something like cut my bill in half that month or once they even paid it in full. My only complaint is that when I recently went to replace 3 of the phones that are over 5yrs old and on their last leg the dealer I went to had one choice for a regular cell phone. It was 130 each and then the 36.00 activation fee for each. I don't know a lot about this but that seems like a lot for a reg phone and over 100 to turn new phones on? I could see if I didn't have an account with them and had to open one. I am not changing anything other than getting a new phone. I miss unicel as when I went to replace phones they were always free with a 2yr contract. I don't know if any carrier does that anymore. I guess I cant complain its a good price for what I have and it works well for what I need.

February 04 2014 at 2:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Well I guess I am going to be the only one with a different opinion here. I have been with ATT since 1990. I have had very few problems with them. And when I did they were always very nice and very quick to fix the problem. I have called for various other reasons also and they have gone above and beyond to help me and make me happy. I have never had to wait more than maybe 10 minutes at the most , usually its almost right away to get to someone. They have even offered to pay my bill a few times to make up for any inconvienence. I have 5 phones 3 are smartphones with data plans and unlimited mobile to any mobile and unlimited text and I pay around $240 a month but that is divided among 3 people so its really not that much. I had a nephew who was with Sprint and the customer service was non existant and they would charge him for things he didn't even have. Also the same with verizon no customer service and crooks. I will stay with ATT. I don't know why everyone on here has such different stories on customer service and what they pay. And I also get great service. There must either be two different companies or it's all in how you talk to the agents. I have always found that you get more when you talk nice and repectful . But also if you believe you are in the right and they are wrong talk nice but be persitant and go up the chain of command until you get what you want.

February 04 2014 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lyinbarack

We have ATT and we have NO service at our houseboat or anywhere near there. When our contract expires we will look elsewhere.

February 04 2014 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
luvantique

$160 a month is a bargain? Gimme a break. That\'s absurd. It costs me about twice that per year for my service, and no contract.

February 04 2014 at 12:04 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
m21norts

I cannot use my cell phone at home...pay $103 for our 2 phones. last year they told me they were putting "additions" on the towers in this area...never happened ! They don't care as long as they get their $$ every month! The home phone bill creeps up nearly every couple of months. When I find a company with better service and prices...bye bye ATT!!

February 04 2014 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

AT&T don't wor in my area where I live. I was stupid for keeping their phone I bought for 4 years, I kept calling them and begged them to put a tower in my area. The phone worked GREAT when I was else were but not where I lived. So I finnaly had enough of paying $84 a mo. for nothing. I wasn't happy about being told to drive down the road to make a call, for many reasons that was totaly outrageous for them to say that, I have a handicapped son with seizures, I couldn't leave him to call for help, and I explained that to AT&T, but they still told me that I had to pay a early termination fee, so as soon as the contract was up, I dropped them like a hot potato. And that stupid micro tower was usless, it had to be pluged in, when we loose our elec. during power outages the micro tower don't work either.

February 03 2014 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shut The Hell Up

I know so many people that works for veriozon but have ATT serive i think that is funny as heck. Veriozon not all that great

February 03 2014 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tomas

I don't know what most people are commenting about, I'm under contract and I just called them a few hours ago and got the deal, no contract extension, no hidden fees, please call and investigate for yourselves "always", it could be the difference between ignorance and money saving deals.

February 03 2014 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
graphikzking

People if you look at the numbers they don't lie. Basically if you have good service, you generally stay with the carrier.

If you look at the amount of people that LEAVE the carrier that is the key number. Churn rate is the number you look for. This will tell you how good their service is around the country, not just at your house or job or 10 miles where you spend 99% of your time!

February 03 2014 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply