- Days left

8 Errors You're Most Likely to Make on Your Tax Return

If you're going to trip up somewhere, here's where it's probably going to happen.

Studio shot of tax form, close-up
Getty Images
By Geoff Williams

You're starting to think about your taxes -- or maybe you're fully engaged and already working on them. Either way, be careful. Last year, the Internal Revenue Service said it discovered 2.7 million errors made by 22 million taxpayers on their 2011 returns, which was considerably fewer than the 6.6 million errors the year before. It's believed that the rise of tax-software preparation programs have something to do with that.

Still, even if you use software or hire a professional, mistakes can be made. Here are some of the more common goofs, according to tax experts.

Simple errors. The IRS website, written by the people who would know, point out several of the top blunders, including taxpayers frequently entering the wrong Social Security number or shortening the number by a digit or two. They also enter the right information on the wrong line and make simple addition and subtraction errors. If you're mailing your tax forms, don't forget to sign and date them, and make sure to put postage on your envelope. The moral of this part of the story: Don't rush.

Improperly claiming (or not claiming) dependents. A dependent is someone who depends on you financially, like a spouse or a child, and who you can claim on your taxes for credits and exemptions. It may seem straightforward, but a parent in a blended family knows how it can get confusing.
Generally, if the mother or father or other relative provides more than half of the child's support, that person can claim the youth as a dependent. But if you have a pureed concoction in your household, you may want to go to the IRS's website and answer a series of questions that will help you determine who is a dependent.

It also gets confusing if someone depends on you financially who isn't a relative, says Dave Du Val, resident tax expert at taxaudit.com, TurboTax's exclusive audit defense service provider. He offers an example of a woman supporting a boyfriend and his son.

"The taxpayer in this scenario may be able to claim the boyfriend's son as a dependent if he meets all the tests for a qualifying relative, and as long as the son isn't a qualifying child of the boyfriend or another taxpayer," Du Val says, adding that the boyfriend might even qualify as a dependent "if he is a U.S. citizen who lived with her all year, he made less than $3,900 and she provided more than half of his support."

When you're not required to file, not filing. You might miss out on the earned income credit, says Donald Goldman, a professor who specializes in taxation and teaches at Arizona State University.

"At the lower end of the income scale, a very common mistake that could cost taxpayers money is not filing a tax return and therefore missing out on the earned income credit," Goldman says. "This is a refundable credit, meaning it can entitle a taxpayer to a refund in excess of the taxes he or she has paid. The average credit in 2012 was more than $2,000 and can reach almost $6,000."

There are a lot of rules concerning who is eligible, so it's a good idea to check out the IRS website and scroll down to look at the chart. But if your adjusted gross income is $14,340, and you're single and without a child, for instance, you may be eligible. If you make $51,567 and are married and have three or more kids, you also probably qualify.

Not reporting stock sales correctly. "Folks who sell stock often do not report the sale on their return if there was a loss. They don't realize that the IRS receives a 1099 [form] showing the amount of the sale and assumes the entire amount is taxable income unless it is reported on the tax return with the purchase and sale price listed to compute the taxable gain," Du Val says.

Retirement-related errors. "One of the most common mistakes people make on their tax returns is improperly reporting the taxable amounts of their retirement plan or IRA distributions," Du Val says. "Determining the taxable amount is particularly complicated when nondeductible IRAs or basis in the retirement account are involved."

By basis, also known as cost basis, Du Val is referring to the dollar amount you paid for your shares. The basis is adjusted for items such as returns of capital and transaction fees and can impact your tax liability when you sell shares.

Schedule E blunders. "This is the Schedule that is used to report rental property, royalties, partnership income and expenses, estate income and expenses and S-Corp income and expenses," says Du Val, flagging it as the area on the federal tax form 1040 where people are most likely to make a mistake.

He adds that anyone who needs to fill this out should be familiar with phrases like "property basis" and "suspended losses." If you own rental property and don't know those terms, you should start learning everything you can about them, as well as "depreciation" and "passive activities," Du Val says.

Or, of course, you could hire someone who does, because things can get sticky when it comes to rental property. "For example," Du Val says, "A residential rental property is depreciated over 27 1/2 years, but furniture is depreciated over five years."

Waiting until the last minute. That can be the biggest mistake for a taxpayer because it leads to making other mistakes, says Ryan Blume, a senior manager of tax and business consulting at Moss Adams, a public accounting firm headquartered in Seattle.

"The rush to meet tax-filing deadlines shifts your accountant's focus to compliance and ensuring that you fulfill the basic tax requirements, rather allowing him or her time to seek additional ways to reduce your taxes through overlooked deductions or preparation mistakes," Blume says.

And if you rush your taxes to the point where you feel that you've made a mess of things, Blume suggests asking the IRS for an extension.

"Some individuals think asking for an extension is a red flag for the IRS. Not true," Blume says. "Instead, it gives you more time to seek additional ways to reduce your taxes through overlooked deductions or preparation mistakes."

Not filing. That, everyone agrees, is the biggest mistake of all.

More from U.S. News

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

View Course »

Economics 101

Intro to economics. But fun.

View Course »

TurboTax Articles

A Tax Guide for Solopreneurs: Self-Employed Tax Tips

Flying solo can be the ultimate business adventure. When you run your own business and you're the only employee, you truly hold all the cards and earn the freedom to achieve your ideal work-life balance. Working for yourself also brings tax advantages not available to those who work for others. It's important to understand the tax rules that apply to the self-employed to profit the most from these.

Can I Claim Medical Expenses on My Taxes?

Medical expenses can take a bite out of your budget, especially if you have unforeseen emergencies that are not fully covered by your insurance. The Internal Revenue Service allows taxpayers some relief, making some of these expenses partly tax-deductible. To take advantage of this tax deduction, you need to know what counts as a medical expense and how to claim the deduction.

What Is a 1099-G Tax Form?

The most common use of the 1099-G is to report unemployment compensation as well as any state or local income tax refunds you received that year.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum


Filter by:

I find it irresponsible these tax tips are comeing when there are just 9 days left till the tax deadline. Do you think the IRS is going to delay the deadline, a half-dozen times like Obamacare ??? Many taxpayers get or send their taxes in several weeks before April 15th to "beat-the-rush". Guess your tax tips are better late, than never.

April 06 2014 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I have alway had HRBlock do my tax's and always will. I am very pleased with them.

February 17 2014 at 1:06 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply

Anyone who says "the rich" dont pay taxes ks a moron. The top 10% pay 70% of the Federal Income taxes, yet Obama says their not paying their :fair share".

January 29 2014 at 8:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

You don't have to factor in winning the Warren Buffett billion dollar basketball contest either.
Lemme tell you a little about Warrenn Buffett. He doesn't even spend it on himself let alone give any of it out in a contest. He lives in a $38,500.00 house in freezing Nebraska and drives a used led sled, weather permitting, of course. Nice guy but tighter than two coats of paint.

January 22 2014 at 7:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It would be mice if they had some credits/exemptions for single individuals. Also retirees under a certain income level, like those should only pay a fixed federal tax , no more than %40-50.00. That's my opinion.

January 21 2014 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The biggest mistake you can make is to actually pay taxes. At least that is what the rich say.

This is another bumbling story that covers up who pays taxes and who doesn't. Wake up! We subsidize the rich, they pay little or no taxes.

January 21 2014 at 9:45 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply

when it comes to taxes just have a daughter who is the best CPA/attorney in the US and use her, then your worries are over. (-;

January 21 2014 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Can I deduct the cost, traing. vet bills food, etc. for a licensed and registereed U>S>assist dog?

January 21 2014 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Say NO to libs!

I have no errors. I've been with a reputable accounting firm for the past 35 years and am confidant I'm being represented competently, and most importantly, LEGALLY. It's well worth the nominal investment I pay annually to not have to worry about overpaying or being audited.

January 21 2014 at 6:40 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply

Number 1 thing to NOT do is put a stolen SSN on your tax return.....on second thought, go ahead if you have to, because absolutely nothing will happen to you.

January 21 2014 at 6:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply