- Days left
Tax refund check
Looking forward to filing your 2013 taxes so you can get that big, fat tax refund check you've been waiting for? You're not alone. But does the idea of that check make you quite as happy when you remember that it represents money you never really had to pay in the first place?

Unless you're getting back more than you paid in (via refundable tax credits), your refund is simply Uncle Sam paying you back money you loaned him, interest-free, by overpaying your taxes throughout the year.

It's your money -- so why not keep control of more of it? Whatever it is you're looking forward to using your annual refund check for, you could do it earlier if you weren't forcing yourself to wait for the government to process your refund first.

How to Keep Your Money In Your Wallet

You're in control of how much money you send to Uncle Sam. Your goal should be to pay what you owe when you owe it, while being sure to pay at least enough and quickly enough to be covered by one of the IRS's "safe harbor" provisions. As long as you're covered by at least one safe harbor rule, you can settle the rest of your taxes by the April 15 deadline without any additional interest or penalties.

Adjusting how much you pay in advance depends on how you pay your taxes throughout the year:
  • If you directly pay your taxes quarterly, you should already be using IRS Form 1040-ES to estimate and pay what you owe.
  • If your employer withholds taxes on your behalf, you can send your payroll department an updated form W-4.
  • Likewise, if a major source of your income is a pension or annuity, you can send the pension administrator an updated form W-4P to update your withholdings from the pension.
  • If you withdraw money from an IRA, your IRA custodian should provide you with a form to use to adjust your withholding.
The Safe Harbor Rules

As long as you pay enough through withholdings or timely estimated payments, you only need to settle the rest of your taxes due by April 15 to avoid penalties. You've paid enough if:
  • You owe less than $1,000 for that April 15 deadline.
  • You've paid at least 90 percent of your total tax due for the year (or 66.7 percent if at least two-thirds of your income comes from farming or fishing).
  • You've paid at least 100 percent of your total tax due for the previous year (or 110 percent of your total tax due for the previous year if your income was $150,000 or more [or $75,000 or more if married filing separately]).
If you're paying estimated taxes, those payments must be timely to avoid the penalty. To make that tax payment timely, the general rule is that you need to pay taxes based on when you earned the money. Therefore:
  • Money earned from January through March needs to be paid by April 15 of that same year.
  • Money earned from April through May needs to be paid by June 15 of that same year.
  • Money earned from June through August needs to be paid by Sept. 15 of that same year.
  • Money earned from September through December needs to be paid by Jan. 15 of the next year.
And yes, having the payment postmarked on that date counts as being timely.

It's Complicated, but Worth It

Ultimately, the money you getting back in your refund was yours to begin with, and most or all of it never should have been sent to Uncle Sam in the first place. By keeping that money in your pocket, you can better plan your day-to-day life and your savings goals around what you earn, when you earn it.

Nobody -- not even the IRS -- expects you to get your taxes right down to the penny in advance of the April 15 deadline. But by following the safe harbor rules, you can stay close enough to paid up that when you square up with the IRS every spring, you won't owe any penalties. And since that's what it takes to keep your money in your pocket, it's probably worth the effort.

Chuck Saletta is a Motley Fool contributing writer.

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

View Course »

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

View Course »

TurboTax Articles

Cities with the Lowest Tax Rates

The total amount of tax you pay reaches far beyond what you owe the federal government. Depending on where you live, most likely you're required to pay additional taxes, including property and sales tax. The disparity between the amount of tax you pay in a low-tax city and that in a high-tax city can be dramatic. Living in any of these 10 cities could save you a bundle, although the exact amount may fluctuate based on your income and lifestyle choices.

Cities with the Highest Tax Rates

Much ado is made in the press about federal tax brackets, but cities can carry a tax bite of their own. Even if you live in a state that has no income tax, your city may levy a variety of taxes that could eat away the entire benefit of living in an income tax-free state, including property taxes, sales taxes and auto taxes. Consider all the costs before you move to one of these cities, and understand that rates may change based on your family's income level.

Great Ways to Get Charitable Tax Deductions

Generally, when you give money to a charity, you can use the amount of that donation as a deduction on your tax return. However, not all charities qualify as tax-deductible organizations. While there are many types of charities, they must all meet certain criteria to be classified by the IRS as tax-deductible organizations. There are legitimate tax-deductible organizations in many popular categories, such as those listed below.

A Freelancer's Guide to Taxes

Freelancing certainly has its benefits, but it can result in a few complications come tax time. The Internal Revenue Service considers freelancers to be self-employed, so if you earn income as a freelancer you must file your taxes as a business owner. While you can take additional deductions if you are self-employed, you'll also face additional taxes in the form of the self-employment tax. Here are things to consider as a freelancer when filing your taxes.

Tax Deductions for Voluntary Interest Payments on Student Loans

Most taxpayers who pay interest on student loans can take a tax deduction for the expense ? and you can do this regardless of whether you itemize tax deductions on your return. The rules for claiming the deduction are the same whether the interest payments were required or voluntary.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum


Filter by:
Akram Shaikh


January 16 2014 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Reagan

I remember taking this advice many years ago.... I ended up owing the Feds $1200 and penalties.... Thanks but no thanks. Since then, I lend the govt my money and don;t get any interest because I like getting a large check once a year. It's a forced savings plan...and maybe it escaped the author's investigative gaze, but interest rates are less than 1%, and you have to declare that interest as income..So it's even smaller after tax. In other words, the risk of a penalty for underpayment coupled with receiving a "Christmas Club" like lump sum makes under deducting a sensible idea. And to top it off, let's face it, that extra $25 a week that you'll pocket will just get frittered away on lattes and garbage. My expected $1600 return will pay for a nice little vacation in Mexico. Hope you enjoy your lattes!

January 01 2014 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Blame Obama, Pelosi, Biden, and the democrats.
They are in charge.

December 31 2013 at 3:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jdykbpl45's comment
Henry ptnm

How about the Republicans? They are the majority in the Congress. It takes two to tango.

January 04 2014 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Good try, but the vast majority of refunds come from tax credits such as Earned Income Tax Credit, and Additional Child Tax Credit. Gotta file to get those!

December 31 2013 at 1:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

How was the IRS cut out? Please explain how the IRS was cut out when the article talks about using various IRS forms. Also that big fat tax return can result in a penalty if it's too big and it counts as income (taxable) for the current year.

December 31 2013 at 1:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

There is no law that requires you to pay taxes it is voluntary. The IRS has no law stating a citizen must pay taxes but it does say they are voluntary. Look it up, you can find video on you tube. No wonder 67 million people don't pay taxes

December 31 2013 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ron's comment

lol,and how much have you had to drink?

December 31 2013 at 1:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Sure, all of this is good financial advice. But who doesn't like a big paycheck once a year? Fun money. Happy New Year!

December 31 2013 at 11:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

This advice has been around for years, and really not that great. Let's all get a big fat refund. Why ? Most (75%+) of us would take the few extra dollars per pay check and spend it on something, like dining out. Come February, March, or April, there would be no big fat check you can actually do something with, for example, new appliance, new tires, down payment on a new roof, and any other bigger ticket item. With todays interest rates being .005, how much interest are we actually losing ? $5.00 per $1000, even less when calculating actual time the interest is lost. I will give the government $20 or less per year to hold my big fat refund of $4000. That will make a really nice down payment on a new car. Its past time to arrive at new advice.

December 31 2013 at 7:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply