Delta to Honor Extremely Cheap Mistake Fares

Delta to honor extremely cheap mistake fares
Ron Antonelli/Bloomberg via Getty Images
By SCOTT MAYEROWITZ

NEW YORK -- Some lucky fliers capitalized on a computer glitch Thursday and scored some really cheap flights on Delta Air Lines (DAL).

From about 10 a.m. to noon Eastern time, certain Delta fares on the airline's own website and other airfare booking sites were showing up incorrectly, offering some savvy bargain hunters incredible deals. A roundtrip flight between Cincinnati and Minneapolis for February was being sold for just $25.05 and a roundtrip between Cincinnati and Salt Lake City for $48.41. The correct price for both of those fares is more than $400.

Trebor Banstetter, a spokesman for the Atlanta-based airline, said the problem has been fixed but "Delta will honor any fares purchased at the incorrect price."

Jackie Fanelli, 27, learned about the super cheap fares from a friend's Facebook (FB) page.
She attempted to purchase a $98 roundtrip first-class ticket from her home city of Baltimore to Honolulu on Priceline.com (PCLN) but the transaction didn't process before the deal was shut down.

"It was too good to be true," Fanelli said. "I try to go away every other year and this was not the year."

Delta's website was having lingering problems from the increased traffic Thursday afternoon.

"It looks like Delta's programmers had a little too much eggnog yesterday," joked George Hobica, founder of AirfareWatchDog.com, which promotes airfare sales.

It's likely that the airline tried to tweak its fares with a $10 or $20 system-wide change and a junior programmer made a mistake or two, he said.

"People just go wild. People have been bragging about booking six first-class tickets to Hawaii," Hobica said. "People hate the airlines so much that when this happens, they say: I'm going to get back at you for the time you broke my suitcase and didn't pay for it."

Other airlines have faced the same issue. In September United Airlines (UAL) experienced an error in filing fares to its computer system. Many customers got tickets for $5 or $10, paying only the cost of the Sept. 11 security fee.

New Department of Transportation regulations, aimed at truth in advertising, require airlines to honor any mistake fares offered.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

horsehallow

AIRLINES SUX, PEOPLE WHO WORK THE AIRPORT SUX, PEOPLE SUX PERIOD. THEY ALL GOT ATTITUDES.; THINK THEY ARE ABOVE US .; SCREW THEM

December 27 2013 at 12:29 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
horsehallow

HOW MANY PEOPLE FLY AND THEN ARE SICK FEW WEEKS LATER ... NONE OF THESE COMPANIES ARE RUN BY REAL PEOPLE;. THEY ARE TRAINED PENCIL PUSHING MACHINES WITHOUT HEARTS. AIRLINES ARE GERM FACTORYS. IF I EVER HAD TO FLY AGAIN I WOULD REQUEST NOT TO HAVE ANY KIDS SITTING WITHIN 6 ROWS OF ME. I HATE KIDS. THEY STINK. SMELL, PARENTS DONT TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS ANYMORE. STICK EM ON PLANES ALONE. KEEP YOUR GERMY KIDS OUT OF MY SPACE.

GO AHEAD FLY. GET SICK AND WONDER..

December 27 2013 at 12:25 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
horsehallow

i dont plan on ever flying again anywhere. period; only time my family expects me to travel is when someone dies. and frankly i dont give a damn anymore. as long as i cant take my medical marijuana with me i have no need to go anywhere;
no way would i ever put my health in danger and by cramming people inside a plane full of others germs is not my idea of fun.
AIRLINES ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY ME TO FLY....... people are germy, dirty, gross. yuck

December 27 2013 at 12:19 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to horsehallow's comment
ggblank1603

Thanks--more room for me

December 27 2013 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry OKC

"Delta to Honor Extremely Cheap Mistake Fares" ... "a spokesman for the Atlanta-based airline, said the problem has been fixed but 'Delta will honor any fares purchased at the incorrect price.' "

Sounds great, a company doing the right thing not to mention it being a positive PR move

but wait, they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts...

"New Department of Transportation REGULATIONS, aimed at truth in advertising, REQUIRE AIRLINES TO HONOR any mistake fares offered."

So thanks Delta for doing what you are required to do!

December 27 2013 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ezg0n

glad delta honored their mistake unlike the whinners at WALMART

December 27 2013 at 10:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ezg0n's comment
ggblank1603

Read the article and you will see why they did

December 27 2013 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Good for them. When I was in the car business I once realized I'd made a $2000 mistake--I had appraised the guy's trade as younger than it was. I explained the mistake to the client and told him that since we'd shaken hands we had a deal. He ended up buying seven more cars from me over the years. Keeping the customers' faith will pay dividends in the long run.

December 27 2013 at 7:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jurmik

DELTA, please keep the prices down and the US may get a hint of European cheapo flights.

December 27 2013 at 7:35 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Fred

Come on people, this is cheap advertisement, take it for what it is. We are so easy to fool.

December 27 2013 at 7:01 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dennismlns

At least they will honor the prices, unlike ANOTHER company I know of, that had the same thing happen and refused to honor the price. I won't mention any names, but their initials are WAL-MART.

December 27 2013 at 6:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dennismlns's comment
ggblank1603

They are required to by law now

December 27 2013 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply