These 10 Billionaires Made the Most Money in 2013

10 Billionaires Who Made The Most Money In 2013
Nati Harnik/APBerkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett.
By Madeline Ston

Many familiar faces make an appearance on Wealth-X's list of the billionaires who made the most money this year.

Businessmen like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, who have dominated wealth rankings for years, continued to add billions of dollars to their already sizable fortunes.

Here's the full list, ranked by billions made from Jan. 1 to Dec. 11, 2013:

10. Carl Icahn made $7.2 billion

The corporate raider had a big year after bets on Netflix and Herbalife (HLF) yielded Icahn Capital Management $800 million and $500 million profits, respectively. He tweeted his thanks to Netflix (NFLX) CEO Reed Hastings and Kevin Spacey, star of the streaming service's hit show, "House of Cards."

9. Lui Chee Woo made $8.3 billion

The founder of Galaxy Entertainment Group became Asia's second-richest man in 2013 as gambling revenue grew at a record pace in Macau. Lui is looking to expand his flagship casino in the city's Cotai area, which is known by many as the Asian version of the Las Vegas Strip.

8. Larry Page made $9.3 billion

Google's co-founder and CEO made $3 billion in 24 hours when Google (GOOG) stocks hit an all-time high in October, breaking $1,000 for the first time. Android became the world's most popular operating system, running on 43 percent of the globe's smartphones.

7. Sergey Brin made $9.3 billion

Brin, Google co-founder and head of special projects with Google X, made $2.9 billion in the October stock surge. As of Dec. 11, Brin is worth an estimated $30 billion, a 4.8 percent percent increase over the year.

6. Masayoshi Son made $10.3 billion

The founder of Softbank, Asia's top Internet and telecommunications corporation, lost $70 billion in the dot-com crash, but he's surging back in a big way.
The purchase of Sprint (S) and a large investment in Finnish game-maker Supercell are highlights in a year that saw Son's personal net worth more than double, growing from $8.8 billion to $19.1 billion.

5. Mark Zuckerberg made $10.5 billion

Facebook (FB) stock hit an all-time high in October, and revenue continues to grow despite questions about the longevity of the product.

4. Jeff Bezos made $11.3 billion

The founder and CEO of Amazon (AMZN), which made $17.1 billion in net sales in the third quarter, raised some eyebrows when he bought the Washington Post for $250 million this summer.

3. Sheldon Adelson made $11.4 billion

According to Wealth-X, the casino mogul's personal net worth grew to an estimated $35.3 billion this year thanks to profits from his gambling properties in Las Vegas, Macau, and Singapore.

2. Bill Gates made $11.5 billion

The world's wealthiest man ended the year with a personal net worth of $72.6 billion, up nearly 19 percent from $61.1 billion in 2012.

1. Warren Buffett made $12.7 billion

Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK-A) (BRK-B) CEO personally made about $37 million a day in 2013, a year that saw the company's acquisition of Heinz and Nevada's NV Energy.

Disclosure: Jeff Bezos is an investor in Business Insider through his personal investment company Bezos Expeditions.

More from Business Insider

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

betty_brock

We liberals hate the rich. We just want to steal their money.

December 21 2013 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tll4tempe

Warren Buffett made $37 million a day and pays less in income taxes than his secretary. Geeeez. You think we need tax reform??

December 20 2013 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to tll4tempe's comment
Kent

No, Warren pays more income tax than his secretary. He complains that his effective tax rate is lower than his secrtary's effective rate.

But, that's how taxes work. When my wife and I bought our house, our income taxes went down, because we start itemizing our deductions. Instead of the standard deduction, we had mortgage interest and property taxes, and which were greater than the standard deduction, as well as donations to charity (church, colleges, Salvation Army, etc.).

Plus, there was a change in the tax code that allowed me to contribute to my IRA and take that deduction. When we first got married, I couldn't deduct my IRA contribution, because my wife was covered under a qualified retirement plan. A change in the tax code allowed spouses who weren't part of a qualified plan to fully deduct IRA contributions.

So, our taxes went down, despite our pre-tax income increasing.

December 20 2013 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beaslbob

Warren Buffett pays much more then his secretary.

FWIW the \"rich\" (successful) pay the same exact percentage of thier income as anyone else with that same exact income.

The upper 1% account for a higher percentage of revenue then not only that 1% but also about double the portion of the total income they received. Not exact numbers but forinstance say 1% receive 10% of the total income and they pay 20% of the tax revenue.

And finally all people from all incomes pay the same exact percentage of the first $10,000 of thier income. Regardless of what their total income is.

December 20 2013 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KATHY'S FREE

Bill Gates, I would appreciate it if you find it in your heart to become my \"Secret Santa;\" so I can pay off my debts, give my son, his wife & their two children what they need to feel a sense of less stress & much good health. I am a survivor, from childhood abuses, a marriage of domestic violence, I have graduated college during the domestic violent era, & bitter divorce & worked until retirement, not without struggles. I truly am not asking for much, just a new car, to pay off debts, fix my home to sell & help my son & his family. Please, I\'m not asking for $1million, just a small token, $500,000, please help & hear me. I know you\'re asked for hand-outs, hear sob stories, and I do understand your need to decide whom you can give to. Thank you for hearing my plea. Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Very Blessed & Happy New Year\'s Always.

December 20 2013 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
funds4jocelynng

Then they, or anyone with any extra can help out my 16yr old niece with brain cancer... http://www.gofundme.com/funds4jocelynn

December 20 2013 at 5:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philsun73

This is to Gina: I'm 81 years old now, and suffer the usual gamut aches and pains. Being an old Fella is not easy. I live in a Senior Apartment complex, and there are a few here much older than I. It's all the same. But with no complaints. Anybody in their 80's who doeant experience some pain, are lucky.. I worked for an outfit one time years ago, and they had hired me because of the experience I brought with me. I was truly their money maker. They had hired several helpers to assist me, as I directed them. The owners were telling me to teach those assisting me, all that I knew. Of course I was making a lot more money than those helping me, and I realized that as soon as one or two of those assisting me came to know what I knew, that they could be promoted to do my job with a mere raise, and they would let me go, and save a lot of money. I might add, that I was bringing the owners at least ten times more than what I was getting paid.. I told the owners that I wasn;t a teacher, as it had taking me years to get to the level that I was at, and I wasn't about to hand it over in a neat little package, unless they put me under contract, with a financial parachute when and if there was a time that they would retire me. A nice way to say "Fire me." Too bad you're husband was put in the same situation, and he felt that he had to comply. They needed him, until he taught them what they needed to know.

December 20 2013 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I would love to be rich. Not just for the security and the things you can buy but to help so many people would be an unbelievable feeling! My husband lost his job after working his butt off for the same company for 28 years. They called everyone in one day 6 years ago and said my husband and his crew were all being let go due to cut backs. What really happened was that the horrible parent company in Alabama came up here and asked my husband to show them how he started and ran their after hours operation. He knew something was up but he had to turn over the information and once he did that, they started shutting down the department and then told everyone they were out of a job and at the end of the month we had no insurance. That was pretty hard news for two people who are both heart patients and not one insurance company would take us. We don't require machines to keep us alive. We take meds but they are all generic and cheap. I can't help I was born with a few heart issues but in this day and age, it's like being a leper and nobody wants to touch you with a ten foot pole! I've been without insurance for years. We are hanging on to our home but we're one sickness or hospital stay away from losing it all. It's a terrible thing when your security is pulled out from under you. I wish I had money to invest. I wish I had enough to pay off our home so we didn't have to worry about being homeless if one of us gets sick. We're two, hard working, middle class parents and grandparents that love our family but we're not young anymore. It's getting harder to stay healthy. We don't smoke, don't drink and haven't been on a vacation in 25 years. We put all our money into our home and utilities and we don't have a big home either. We have a small home and drive older cars but here in the Detroit area it's been hit hard and good people like us have lost everything from big corps letting go of their older employees. When it first started happening at my husband's previous work, I thought the person had to be a drunk or a bad employee. Nope., over the years it happened again and again and finally when my husband was in his middle 50's, it happened to him. There is no union where he worked so there was no one to fight for his job. It's a shame that a company can take a person's hard work and all the time my husband spent on building the company and helping it do better so their 401 K plans would have decent money. Before we knew it, there was over 50 grand missing from his 401 and the company was squandering the money in bad investments. That's what we were told. Who knows what they did with it. The little hard working guys get screwed.
So here we are, over middle age, trying to do what we can to keep our home and help our kids and grandchildren have a Merry Christmas. The old saying that it takes money to make money, SO TRUE!

December 20 2013 at 12:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
slinebe10p

I know these guys give a lot to charity but it would be nice if more of the wealth went to foot the bill of the poor in this country and not come out of the pockets of those of us who are barely making ends meet.

December 20 2013 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtandjudyg

11 billion and paid no taxes, nice and fair.

December 20 2013 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
al

Rich people are heartless, to make so much money and not help anyone, after watching and reading the daily bad news of the world, is plain selfishness. I'm a middle class man, and I've given all my X-mas bonuses away to the homeless, $1,500 to $2,000 at times. There is no feeling like helping someone who is down and out. These rich bastards will all be at under our feet in Heaven.

December 19 2013 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to al's comment
philsun73

I'm not defending Biil Gates. But he does have a foundation that will give as much as a million dollars to any organization that benefits those in need.. It probably has to go through a pretty tough question and answer session, along with an on site investigation with open books to be examined, and a proven history of actually doing the benefit for other's who needed it. It almost amounts to being cheap. As he donated 10 million dollars to the U.N. years ago. I wonder where at the U.N. the homeless lined up to receive help. Or did that 10 million disappear into someone's pockets.

December 20 2013 at 1:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
al

The day a camel walks threw the eye of a needle, will be the day a rich person enters Heaven.

December 19 2013 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply