Planning for your financial future? Give your plans a boost with information tailored for you
Start Choosing Here »

9 Devices That Are Almost Certainly a Waste of Your Money

YOSHIKAZU TSUNO/AFP/Getty Images

By Simon Hill

As deal hunters, it typically pays to buy slightly older devices in favor of tempting deals on newly released tech. But, of the aged and dated items we've spent money on, there are some electronics that are now approaching outright extinction and would make for silly purchases. Some consumers may need the complete functionality of a point-and-shoot camera, for example, but for the majority of us, a smartphone already accomplishes everything we need.

So before you consider buying any of these items below, think long and hard about whether such a device is actually a redundant purchase and, thus, a big waste of your money.

More from Dealnews:

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

paulfortuin

I'll take a flash drive over the cloud any day. I may be in the minority, but none of my personal files, photo's, video, or anything will be stored on some company's server.

September 25 2013 at 3:54 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
paulfortuin

Netflix and other streaming services compress the signal drastically. I didn't spend thousands on a large TV just to watch a lower than standard DVD picture, nevermind the audio stream. Blu ray is the only place to get 1080P resolution. Therefore, until streaming infrastructures can handle a full, uncompressed signal, blu ray is the best viewing option, and a great reason to buy them.

September 25 2013 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
croshatch

People have always predicted the "death" of things due to new technology. When the phonograph was invented, they said no one would go hear live music anymore, Radio would kill the phonograph. Movies would kill live performances. TV would kill all other media at the time. Then, of course, videotape was supposed to kill TV and movies in the theater. BAH, I say!!!

September 24 2013 at 10:58 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
zmlyons1

I cannot imagine watching a 2.5 hour movie, on a 4 inch screen!!! WHAT is going on here? Must be an ad for magnifying glasses!

September 24 2013 at 7:59 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
sithranma

A smartphone is more intuitive than a PC? I'd like to know on what planet that ever happens, and then take a Death Star to it.

September 24 2013 at 7:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ccccccc222

My TV doesNOT have an alarm therefore I DO need an alarm clock. And thank you for telling me to do what I want. I do what I want anyway.

September 24 2013 at 7:01 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
hockeyn109

This article is a paid infomercial to just buy smart phones. Technology is not there yet to replace these other devices.

September 24 2013 at 6:58 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
CJG

This is obviously written by someone who is not very technicallly informed nor has to use some of the technology on their list.
To suggest using the cloud instead of a flash drive to transfer files, store apps & passwords, is absolutely ludicrous. To replace a desktop tower with a tablet is laughable. Yes a tablet may replace a laptop someday as they become more sophsticated, but those are both the same mobil technology

September 24 2013 at 6:53 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
gizmoprof

Garmin technology is far superior to what I can get on my cell phone, at least for now. I prefer the standalone GPS because of the bigger monitor, clarity, etc, and I don't have to worry about packet charges or batteries.

September 24 2013 at 6:48 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
budroesdream

puc them ..I still want I high powered Alien craft puter with fans ..bells..and add me whistle or two

September 24 2013 at 6:47 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply