Ultimate Reports Q2 2013 Financial Results
- Record Recurring Revenues of $80.8 Million, Up by 25%
- Total Revenues of $97.5 Million, Up by 23%
WESTON, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Ultimate Software (NAS: ULTI) , a leading cloud provider of people management solutions, announced today its financial results for the second quarter of 2013. For the quarter ended June 30, 2013, Ultimate reported recurring revenues of $80.8 million, a 25% increase, and total revenues of $97.5 million, a 23% increase, both compared with 2012's second quarter. GAAP net income for the second quarter of 2013 was $4.9 million, or $0.17 per diluted share, versus GAAP net income of $2.7 million, or $0.09 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2012.
Non-GAAP net income, which excludes stock-based compensation, was $9.7 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2013, compared with non-GAAP net income of $5.9 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2012. See "Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information" below.
"Our second quarter revenue results were in line with our expectations and our 2013 goals, and our operating margin once again exceeded our expectations," said Scott Scherr, founder, president, and CEO of Ultimate. "In June, Ultimate celebrated 15 years as a public company. Over the past 15 years, we have grown from a little over 300 employees to 1,735 at the close of this year's second quarter. Today we support more than 2,500 businesses whose operations span 144 countries.
"Ultimate pioneered our industry's move to the cloud in 2002 by delivering the first HR/payroll software solution on a SaaS basis. Today we continue to lead the human capital management industry providing a full-scope, strategic suite of HR, payroll, time, and talent management solutions."
Ultimate's financial results teleconference will be held today, July 30, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, through Vcall at www.investorcalendar.com/IC/CEPage.asp?ID=170359. The call will be available for replay at the same address beginning at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time today. Windows Media Player software is required to listen to the call and can be downloaded from the site. Forward-looking information about future company performance will be discussed during the teleconference call.
- Recurring revenues grew by 25% for the second quarter of 2013 compared with 2012's second quarter. The increase was primarily attributable to revenue growth from our cloud offering. Recurring revenues for the second quarter of 2013 were 83% of total revenues as compared with 82% of total revenues for 2012's second quarter.
- Ultimate's total revenues for the second quarter of 2013 increased by 23% compared with those for the second quarter of 2012.
- Our operating income increased 64%, on a non-GAAP basis, for the second quarter of 2013 to $16.8 million as compared with $10.3 million for the same period of 2012. Our non-GAAP operating margin was 17.2% for the second quarter of 2013 versus 13.0% for the second quarter of 2012.
- Ultimate's annualized retention rate exceeded 96% for its existing recurring revenue customer base as of June 30, 2013.
- The combination of cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities was $91.1 million as of June 30, 2013, compared with $69.4 million as of December 31, 2012. Cash flows from operating activities for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, were $14.4 million, compared with $8.3 million for the same period of 2012. For the six months ended June 30, 2013, Ultimate generated $32.5 million in cash from operations compared with $22.7 million for the six months ended June 30, 2012.
- Days sales outstanding were 66 days at June 30, 2013, representing a reduction of five days compared with days sales outstanding at December 31, 2012.
- During the six months ended June 30, 2013, we used $6.7 million to acquire 68,926 shares of our Common Stock to settle the employee tax withholding liability resulting from the vesting of our employees' restricted stock holdings.
- As of June 30, 2013, we had 946,165 shares available for repurchase in the future under our previously announced Stock Repurchase Plan.
Ultimate provides the following financial guidance for the third quarter ending September 30, 2013, and full year 2013:
For the third quarter of 2013:
- Recurring revenues of approximately $84.0 million,
- Total revenues of approximately $103.0 million, and
- Operating margin, on a non-GAAP basis (discussed below), of approximately 18%.
For the year 2013:
- Recurring revenues to increase by approximately 25% over those of 2012,
- Total revenues to increase by approximately 23% over those of 2012, and
- Operating margin, on a non-GAAP basis (discussed below), of approximately 17%.
Operating margin expectations were determined on a non-GAAP basis using the methodologies identified under the caption "Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information" in this press release. Non-cash stock-based compensation expense for 2013 is expected to be approximately $37.5 million.
Certain statements in this press release are, and certain statements on the teleconference call may be, forward-looking statements within the meaning provided under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements are made only as of the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that may cause Ultimate's actual results to differ materially from those stated or implied by such forward-looking statements, including risks and uncertainties associated with fluctuations in Ultimate's quarterly operating results, concentration of Ultimate's product offerings, development risks involved with new products and technologies, competition, contract renewals with business partners, compliance by our customers with the terms of their contracts with us, and other factors disclosed in Ultimate's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Ultimate undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Ultimate is a leading cloud provider of people management solutions, with more than 10 million people records in the cloud. Built on the belief that people are the most important ingredient of any business, Ultimate's award-winning UltiPro delivers HR, payroll, time, and talent management solutions that seamlessly connect people with the information and resources they need to work more effectively. Founded in 1990, the company is headquartered in Weston, Florida, and has more than 1,700 professionals focused on developing the highest quality solutions and services. In 2013, Ultimate was ranked #9 on FORTUNE'S "100 Best Companies to Work For" list, and Minyanville Media Inc. named Ultimate among the top 10 most ethical businesses in the United States. In its Cloud Buyer's Bill of Rights Certification, Constellation Research awarded Ultimate its highest level of certification. Ultimate has more than 2,500 customers with employees in 144 countries, including Adobe Systems Incorporated, Culligan International, Major League Baseball, Pep Boys, and Texas Roadhouse. More information on Ultimate's products and services for people management can be found at www.ultimatesoftware.com.
UltiPro is a registered trademark of The Ultimate Software Group, Inc. All other trademarks referenced are the property of their respective owners.
|THE ULTIMATE SOFTWARE GROUP, INC., AND SUBSIDIARIES|
|UNAUDITED CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF INCOME|
|(In thousands, except per share amounts)|
For the Three Months Ended
For the Six Months Ended
|Cost of revenues:|
|Total cost of revenues||40,646||34,198||82,292||69,913|
|Sales and marketing||22,672||17,472||45,582||36,109|
|Research and development||16,864||15,989||32,994||31,685|
|General and administrative||8,285||6,126||17,212||12,271|
|Total operating expenses||47,821||39,587||95,788||80,065|
|Other (expense) income:|
|Interest and other expense||(56||)||(101||)||(136||)||(176||)|
|Other income, net||6||30||47||43|
|Total other expense, net||(50||)||(71||)||(89||)||(133||)|
|Income before income taxes||8,952||5,321||17,217||7,347|
|Provision for income taxes||(4,050||)||(2,668||)||(7,795||)||(3,670||)|
|Net income per share:|
|Weighted average shares outstanding:|
The following table sets forth the stock-based compensation expense resulting from stock-based arrangements (excluding the income tax effect, or "gross") and the amortization of acquired intangibles that are recorded in Ultimate's unaudited condensed consolidated statements of operations for the periods indicated (in thousands):
For the Three Months Ended
For the Six Months Ended
|Stock-based compensation expense:|
|Cost of recurring revenues||$||973||$||638||$||1,837||$||1,151|
|Cost of services revenues||864||665||1,824||1,166|
|Sales and marketing||3,185||1,772||6,281||3,446|
|Research and development||816||692||1,586||1,316|
|General and administrative||1,940||1,096||3,847||2,138|
|Total non-cash stock-based compensation expense||$||7,778||$||4,863||$||15,375||$||9,217|
|THE ULTIMATE SOFTWARE GROUP, INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES|
|UNAUDITED CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS|
|As of||As of|
|June 30,||December 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||81,193||$||58,817|
|Investments in marketable securities||7,934||9,223|
|Accounts receivable, net||70,713||70,774|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||29,931||25,949|
|Deferred tax assets, net||1,372||1,372|
|Total current assets before funds held for clients||191,143||166,135|
|Funds held for clients||443,875||281,007|
|Total current assets||635,018||447,142|
|Property and equipment, net||46,684||38,068|
|Capitalized software, net||205||508|
|Investments in marketable securities||1,947||1,311|
|Other assets, net||16,033||16,687|
|Deferred tax assets, net||19,487||18,543|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Capital lease obligations||2,764||2,968|
|Total current liabilities before client fund obligations||123,054||118,592|
|Client fund obligations||443,875||281,007|
|Total current liabilities||566,929||399,599|
|Capital lease obligations||2,094||2,469|
|Income taxes payable||1,866||1,866|
|Preferred Stock, $.01 par value||—||—|
|Series A Junior Participating Preferred Stock, $.01 par value||—||—|
|Common Stock, $.01 par value||319||314|
|Additional paid-in capital||289,898||266,130|
|Accumulated other comprehensive (loss) income||(675||)||109|
|Treasury stock, at cost||(118,544||)||(118,544||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||147,081||114,670|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||722,399||$||525,284|