Editor's note: A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to HIV as AIDS in some instances. This has been revised in the headline and body of the article. The Fool regrets the error.

Is this the HIV cure we've been waiting for?

According to multiple reports, Harvard researchers Timothy Henrich and Daniel Kuritzkes have recently noted a surprising side-effect to cancer treatments performed on two separate patients who also happen to be HIV-positive.

After undergoing bone marrow transplants to treat cancers of the blood, both men were later discovered to have no trace of HIV left in their system.

Encouraged by the results, the patients have since stopped taking anti-HIV drug treatments. Seven weeks later (for one patient), and 15 weeks later (for the other), the virus has not returned. And while the researchers are hesitant to pronounce the men "cured" -- warning that there's still a risk the virus can resurface even months after initially disappearing -- they do cautiously concede that the patients are "doing very well."

First, do no harm
The doctors' caution is understandable for many reasons -- first and foremost is the fear of raising hopes that a cure may have been found for one of the world's most intractable diseases, only to have to dash that hope later.

Experts also warn that bone marrow transplant is a truly unpleasant experience -- and in many cases not a practical solution to HIV because of the cost and complexity of the procedure.

All that being said, the hope for a cure to HIV springs eternal, and in this case at least, even the fantastic cost of a bone marrow transplant operation may turn out to be a bargain relative to the cost of treating the disease over a lifetime.

When the treatment is worse than the cure
Consider: According to the National Institutes of Health, what this translates into for a patient living out the projected life expectancy of 24.2 years post-infection is a lifetime cost of up to $618,900 per adult.

That's the "good" news. The bad news is that other sources put the cost of treating an HIV infection at as much as $5,000 a month, with the bulk of the charges going to pay for drugs.

Should a patient beat the odds, and survive to live out a 50-year lifespan post-infection, that could add up to as much as $3 million in treatment costs. But what if we could cut that figure down by a factor of 15?

That's the far-off potential suggested by the Harvard transplant results. According to the American Cancer Society, an allogeneic bone marrow transplant from a donor can cost as much as $200,000. That's hardly cheap, but it's much cheaper than $3 million.

What does it mean to investors?
One industry for which "cheaper" does not necessarily mean "better," however, is big pharma, which makes big money under the current system of treating HIV until death.

This is money -- revenue streams -- that could be put at risk if an actual cure for the disease is (or has already been) discovered.

Major pharma names Bristol-Myers Squibb  and Merck , for example, each generated in excess of $1 billion from HIV-drug sales in 2010. Indeed, two Bristol-Myers drugs -- Reyataz and Sustiva, combined to produce $2.85 billion that year.

Gilead Sciences , reportedly holding a 40% market share in the HIV-drugs market, recorded $3.2 billion in sales of Atripla alone in 2011. HIV is also a multimillion-dollar market for heavyweights Johnson & Johnson  and Pfizer .

With doctors still insisting that "transplantation is not a viable option for people with HIV on a broad scale because of its costs and complexity," these revenue streams look safe for the time being. That said, the cases of the two patients, still HIV-free weeks after their transplants, promise a day perhaps not too far off, when this treatable disease does in fact become curable.

As Kevin Robert Frost, chief executive of The Foundation of AIDS Research, opines: "These new cases could lead us to new approaches to treating, and ultimately even eradicating, HIV."

Meanwhile, the implementation of Obamacare continues marching forward (in fits and starts). How will the nation's new health care policy affect you? The Motley Fool's new free report "Everything You Need to Know About Obamacare" lets you know how your health insurance, your taxes, and your portfolio could be affected. Click here to read more.

The article Did Someone Just Cure HIV for $200,000? originally appeared on Fool.com.

Fool contributor Rich Smith has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool recommends Gilead Sciences and Johnson & Johnson and owns shares of Johnson & Johnson. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools don't all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Income Investing

Grow your nest-egg.

Investing in Startups

The lucrative and risky world of startups.

Martha Wayne

Hello every body, i am here to testifies on how DR ARIBA help me to cure my sickness called HIV/AIDS which has been eating me up for 2years and 4months, and when I go online I saw his email on how he cured so many people, so I emailed the Dr and tell my problems to him, and tell all his necessary needy for the healing, after that day he gave me an assurance of 4days of his herbal healing, and said I should go for a medical check up on the 5th day of which I get to the hospital the new result now shows am HIV negative. And now am so happy and free from it thanks to DR ARIBA. Please if there is any one in need of his help should kindly contact him draribaspelltemple@gmail.com or dr.aribaspelltemple@outlook.com OR call +2348163979933

January 20 2014 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vivie Loxton

Truthfully, i was tested HIV + positive last 3years. I keep on managing the drugs i usually purchase from the health care agency to keep me healthy and strenghtful, i tried all i can too make this disease leave me alone, but unfortunately, it keep on eating up my life, this is what i caused myself, for allowing my fiance make sex to me unsecurely without protection, although i never knew he is HIV positive. So last few 4days i came in contact with a lively article on the internet on how this Powerful Herb Healer get her well and healed. So as a patient i knew this will took my life 1 day, and i need to live with other friends and relatives too. So i copied out the Dr.abegbe the traditional healer’s email id: Dr.Abegbespellhome@hotmail.Com and I mailed him immediately, in a little while he mail me back that i was welcome to his temple home wereby all what i seek for are granted. I was please at that time. And i continue with him, he took some few details from me and told me that he shall get back to me as soon as he is through with my work. I was very happy as heard that from him. So Yesterday, as i was just coming from my friends house, Dr.abegbe called me to go for checkup in the hospital and see his marvelous work that it is now HIV negative, i was very glad to hear that from him, so i quickly rush down to the nearest hospital to found out, only to hear from my hospital doctor called Browning Lewis that i am now HIV NEGATIVE. I jump up at him with the test note, he ask me how does it happen and i recide to him all i went through with Dr.abegbe I am now glad, so i am a gentle type of person that need to share this testimonies to everyone who seek for healings, because once you get calm and quiet, so the disease get to finish your life off. So i will advice you contact him today for your healing at the above details: Email ID:Dr.Abegbespellhome@hotmail.Com CONTACT HIM NOW TO SAVE YOUR LIFE:Dr.Abegbespellhome@hotmail.Com Com AS HE IS SO POWERFUL AND HELPFUL TO ALL THAT HAVE THIS SICKNESS… or call for immediately respond +2348113017989

December 14 2013 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vivie Loxton

Have you hear of this man? what a great man, black magic really work, well I know this man must be giving a great regards due to what he have done in my life, Am from England and this my number +447031999512 you can call me anytime you want to confirm anything about this man, I travel to south African for business I have to spend 2month over there due to the business I meet this girl what a petty girl well she draw my attend I was interest on her I decide to speak to her, how I felt for her, and I was having it in mind that I should propose to her you know what that mean, because am not married, I spend time with this girl, and will were in love very tight, and will had sex together, all I was thinking about is how to introduce her to my parent before I propose to her because I really love her when it was time for me to go back to my country, I was already preparing her travel passport and other necessary things needed but due to business my time do not permit me I have to go back fast, but all was already done, and she were to come after 2weet to visit me so that I can introduce her to my parent when I was back my doctor decide to do his duty work and test me and give me some treatment but he found out that I have HIV, it was so surprised to me that she have HIV and she refused to tell me about it, and she allow me to have sex with her without condom, but I feel like crying I decide to behave like a man, all I think about is I will not be about to have children anymore then due to that I was force to look for help, I believe there is no cure in HIV, but I decide to try magic if it can work for me. I search for magic power men then I found a man called DR.ABEGBE how it cured HIV within 45mins spell, well I did not conclude immediately because of who I Am I thinks this can work and it cannot also work, I give a try this man go according to the post I see, and his spell work within 45mins, I was cured totally, with the little I have i have to send a car to this man because of his good work but only god can tell who this man his let me stop from here because I know there are many people who need his help that is why I have to write about him, and this is my email romanceadnan1@gmail.com Email me or you can also go straight to him thorough his email: DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@HOTMAIL.COM

December 14 2013 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Prince Endurance

I was been suffering hardshiply from HIV/AIDS since 9yrs now, and i happen to have 2 kids for my husband, and now we cannot proceed to have another kids all because of my disease and now i have do all what a human like i and my husband can do just to get my disease healed, i have went to several places to seek for help not even one person could ever help, until i melt a comment on the daily news paper that was commented by Miss Marilyn about how this powerful traditional doctor help her get cured of the disease (HIV-AIDS) " my fellow beloved" i firstly taugh having a help from a spiritual traditional healer was a wrong idea, but i think of these, will i continue to stress on these disease all day when i have someone to help me save my life?" so i gather all my faiths and put in all interest to contact him through his Email address at ugbakhuanspelltemple@gmail.com , so after i have mailed him of helping get my disease cured, i respond to me fast as possible that i should not be afraid, that he is a truthful and powerful doctor which i firstly claimed him to be. So after all set has been done, he promise me that i will be healed but on a condition that i provide him some items and obeyed all his oracle said. I did all by accepting his oracolous fact and only to see that the following week Dr maxwell mail me on my mail box that my work is successfully done with his powers, i was first shocked and later arrise to be the happiest woman on earth after i have concluded my final test on the hospital by my doctor that i am now HIV- Negative. My papers for check are with me and now i am happy and glad for his miraculous help and power.
With these i must to everyone who might seek for anyhelp, either for HIV cure or much more to contact him now at these following email now,
Email: ugbakhuanspelltemple@gmail.com
" sir thank you so much for your immediate cure of my disease, i must say for curing my disease, i owe you in return. Thanks and be blessed sir.
My name is jane wembli
His Email address is:
ugbakhuanspelltemple@gmail.com

November 22 2013 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Prince Endurance

i want to thank dr ugbakhuan for the herbal hiv medicine he gave to me and my daughter, i was suffering from hiv when i gave birth to my daughter and that was how my daughter got the sickness indirect from me, but to God be the glory that i am heal with the herbal medicine that DR Ugbakhuan gave to me when i contacted him. i want to use this medium to tell everyone that the solution to our sickness has come, so i will like you to contact this great healer on his email address: ugbakhuanspelltemple@gmail.com with him all your pains will be gone, i am really happy today that i and my daughter are cured of hiv, we are now negative after the use of his medicine,my doctor confirm it.
once more i say a big thank to you Dr Ugbakhuan for healing hands upon my life and my daughter, i say may God continue to bless you abundantly and give you more power to keep helping those that want your help in their lives. email him now he is waiting to receive you.

November 22 2013 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Prince Endurance

hello everyone,
i don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for hiv, i have been hiv+ since last three years with my girlfriend but today i am happy that i am hiv_ with herbal medicine of Dr Ugbakhuan the great healer,i was browsing the internet searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr Ugbakhuan cure his hiv i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr Ugbakhuan brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great heal;er on his email address: ugbakhuanspelltemple@gmail.com please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now: ugbakhuanspelltemple@gmail.com

November 22 2013 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Thomas

i want to share a testimony on how i was cured from HIV by a man called Dr. Aluta of ALUTASPELLTEMPLE@HOTMAIL.COM who is very good in what he does for people. I was diagnosed of HIV in NOV. 2011 and since then i have not been living a normal life with my family, my husband and kid left me because they tested negative, i was the only who was carrying the disease and i have been living a life full of pain and sorrows because of the disease i was having inside of me, until i meant a testimony about a woman who was cured be Doctor Aluta, i was skeptical at first, but latter on i decided to give the Dr. a try, and in just 4 days after i contacted him, he told me every thing to do which i did and then he told me to go for a test to check if the cure he gave to me had worked, and i really went for the test and to my greatest surprise the disease i have been carrying for almost 3 years disappeared, and i was very happy, after that i called my husband and told him of the good news, and now i am very happy to tell you that i and my family are now living happy with out problems, and if you are also in this kind of situation, i will advice you to contact him today through his email. ALUTASPELLTEMPLE@HOTMAIL.COM or call him with his mobile number. +2348077526430. god bless Dr. Aluta for the good work he did in my life.

November 19 2013 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
a.loan@asylum.com

Am from CANADA, am here to give my testimony about how i got my HIV disease and how I was flew from it quickly after having on trust on my spell doctor who cured me immediately. Since the year I married to the man I did love because my parents false me to marry him, I have not been enjoying my relationship and sex life with him, he do spend time on his work and don’t have time for me sometimes, he do sleep at his work and also do carry women’s because he has the money to spent but doesn’t spend it on me. So I was so jealous to the extent that I can’t even control my anger and I decided to start cheating on him with my ex-boyfriend, because my husband do not always be at home expect on weekends, I have sex with him without protection, after some months been in love with my ex-boyfriend I was so sick and I decided to go to test and I found that I was HIV positive I feel so sad and was ashamed because I did know how to open up to my husband I hate before, my ex-boyfriend denied me and when my husband found about what was going on he divorced me and I was ill for good 3years I went to many places for solutions but there was no solutions. So one day I was asking GOOGLE some questions on how I can get a cure and how I can get some medications which I will be taking to my own surprise they brought one email out named DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@HOTMAIL.COM that this powerful man can cured HIV, I did believe about the cure before but I took the email and searched it on GOOGLE and I found many good testimonies about him, people have been giving more testimonies about him so i contacted him about my situation, he told me all the procedures which I will take, And I did before I knew what was happening he called me and told me to go for an HIV test which i did and when the result was out I was HIV negative. Thanks to DR.ABEGBE now as I am giving this testimony I am now fully settle down with my husband now and we both loved ourselves, I give this testimony for people around that was in my shoes so that they can also be cured like me, so if you also need a solution also you can email him at DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@HOTMAIL.COM

November 02 2013 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mariam Baurice

i am from canada, i am here to give my testimony how i was cured from hiv, i contacted my hiv through sharp object. a friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and i took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured my self. i did even bothered about it, so when i got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that i am hiv positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how i use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i dont even know what to do, so one day i was surfing the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR.OLUBAM so i quickly emailed the doctor email, and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and ki do according to his command, he called me the next day that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was hiv negative. thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me DR. OLUBAM so you can also emailed him at DR.OLUBAMSPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM

October 29 2013 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mariam Baurice

i am so happy to be here to share my great testimony to the world about how i was flee from the bondage of hiv disease, i was diagnosed in the year 2010 since them i was feel uncomfortable because there was no way out for me to be cured, i have pass many ways many hospitals and many churches in this earth, but there was no one ton help me out until one day a friend of my told me that she saw many testimonies on internet when she was browsing, she told me how many peoples were giving testimonies about DR.OLUBAM that he has helped a lot of people in this earth, so i quickly told her that she should give me the site which she did and when i searched it on net i saw many testimonies about him myself so i contacted him, he give me some guidelines and also sent me some medications which i will be taking he told me that if i take the medications for two days i will get my cure, so after the two days i went to the hospital to test myself unbelievable the test was negative, i quickly called him and thanked him and also thats why am here to also say more good news about him. so you also can contact him at DR.OLUBAMSPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM THANKS.

October 29 2013 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply