14 Ways Retirees are Making Money

If you're like many retirees, you could use a little extra money to get by, beyond your retirement savings and Social Security. Or maybe you're just looking for ways to stay busy and to make a bit of extra cash in the process. Either way, these 14 options are a great way to earn some money while doing something you enjoy:

Rob Berger is the founder of the popular personal finance blog, the Dough Roller.

More from US News:
10 Ways to Pay for Retirement
12 Important Retirement Planning Deadlines
The 10 Best Places to Launch a Retirement Career

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

MR NUSSBAUM

Wow! I hope i never have to do any of those things.If you save enough and are frugal enough why not just take care of yourself and your family. More than enough things to do and the freedom to pursue any fun activity you want. I know people need to make some money but I hope not to ever have to work. I work only because I want to work.

July 04 2013 at 2:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MR NUSSBAUM's comment
robantm

It\'s not so much about the money as keeping active and engaged. You can\'t play golf all the time, and hanging out and doing \"honey do\'s\" get\'s old too. It\'s about a continued sense of contribution and knowing that whatever job kills you once had, or have found have a usefulness. Belive me, I know first hand. It\'s also a social outlet. Don\'t underestimate it. The best part - you do it when when you want to, not becsue you have to.

July 05 2013 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vlady1000

Never could understand people that have their dog walked by others, unless on vacation, etc. That is where a lot of bonding, respect,, and your role, etc is established in the dog's mind. Nothing better than making up games, throw some training in during the walk. If you do not have time to walk a dog, do not get one.

June 30 2013 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paddleman1928

rent out your basement? That is likely illegal and will lead to major headaches if things go bad with the tenant.

June 30 2013 at 8:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to paddleman1928's comment
vlady1000

Yep, better make sure it meets the local building code and you insurance company knows what you are doing too. If you want to rent buy a true rental property and do it right. Still a great way to make some extra $$ even though prices and rates have increased from the stupid lows they were at. Just plan ahead you may need to buy them before you retire, much easier to qualify for the loans.

June 30 2013 at 9:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
swanderman

I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this article.

June 30 2013 at 3:30 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Terry

I do not know where you are speaking of to do these things. Some of them require living around people who can afford to pay high prices like walking their dog. LOL Not in the mid west areas. Good luck on Craig\'s list but be careful who you deal witrh.

June 30 2013 at 9:42 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
demcoverup

I know one way to keep your money and that's to not let the democrats know you have it.

June 30 2013 at 9:42 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to demcoverup's comment
denchantress2000

Perfect Answer :)

June 30 2013 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thefacts22

I am doing all of that,but,but......I am still like Oba,s budget,......my expenses are more than my earnings.....perhaps some \"austerity\" will do it?..or should I wait until interest rates go up? WILL SEE

June 30 2013 at 6:22 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to thefacts22's comment
Sherrie

Got your Koch nickel for that? Try dropping internet. (Also the cable that brings Faux poison) See, I\'m a democrat AND I saved you money!

June 30 2013 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bildaws

Gotta watch out for those nano-machines.

June 29 2013 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lenders1

迈克 Have you considered to enroll yourself with a study group? It appears you are trying very hard to show someone how smart you can be. A check up from the neck up may be helpful.

June 29 2013 at 12:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply