Paula Deen Cookbooks Dropped by Publisher Random House

Paula Deen
AP / Amazon.com
By HILLEL ITALIE

Paula Deen's publisher has canceled a deal with her for multiple books, including an upcoming cookbook that was the No. 1 seller on Amazon.com (AMZN) and Barnes & Noble.com (BKS), following her admission she used a racial slur.

Ballantine Books announced Friday it would not release "Paula Deen's New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up," which was scheduled for October and was the first of a five-book deal announced early last year. Interest in it had surged as Deen, who grew up in Albany, Ga., and specializes in Southern comfort food, came under increasing attack for acknowledging she had used the N-word.

Ballantine, an imprint of Random House Inc., said it had decided to cancel the book's publication after "careful consideration." It had no comment beyond what was in its brief statement, spokesman Stuart Applebaum said.

Later Friday, Deen's literary agent, Janis Donnaud, said that the entire deal had been called off.

"I am confident that these books will be published and that we will have a new publisher," said Donnaud, who declined to comment on whether she had heard from other publishers.

The trouble for Deen started when comments she made in a court deposition became public. During the deposition in a discrimination lawsuit filed by an ex-employee, Deen admitted using the N-word in the past but denied using it to describe waiters.
Deen said she's not a racist during a tearful "Today" show interview but has lost many of her business relationships. Sears Holdings Corp. (SHLD) and J.C. Penney Co. (JCP) said Friday that they were cutting ties with Deenfollowing similar announcements from Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT), Target Corp. (TGT) and Home Depot (HD).

Last week, the Food Network said that it would not renew her contract. She also was dropped by Smithfield Foods (SFD), Caesars Entertainment (CZR) stripped her name from restaurants and drug company Novo Nordisk (NVO) said it was suspending its work with her.

Publishers have pulled a wide range of books over the years, usually because of plagiarism, fabrications or other issues with the books themselves. Ballantine's decision highlights a problem for Deen even when the product itself has not been challenged and is in high demand.

Some outlets that might have sold her books, such as Target and Wal-Mart, have cut ties with her. Other stores likely would have been reluctant to promote her new book or to invite her for personal appearances.

Because "Paula Deen's New Testament" was months away from release, no copies had been printed. All purchases had been pre-orders, so refunds aren't necessary.

Introduction to ETFs

The basics of Exchange Traded Funds and why ETFs are hot.

Small Cap Investing

Learn now to invest in small companies the right way.

jasminpatr

Enough is Enough...two wrongs never make a right. Random House is now added to my list of "Do Not Buy" or visit stores, watch TV Channel, etc. I am thankful I have so many of Paula's meals copied. Stay strong Paula, another door will open.

June 29 2013 at 5:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
grneydmuse

Why are we still focused on this incident for heaven's sake? Rev. Al Sharpton even defended her...ENOUGH already! Time to move on. Peace, Light and Love.

June 29 2013 at 12:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
zinajoshua

The cat is out of THE BAG. MOVING FORWARD NOW!

June 29 2013 at 12:21 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zinajoshua's comment
mrspelosi

Darling perhaps I could guide you as to how to find diversity classes where you live dear.

June 29 2013 at 12:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mrspelosi's comment
Practical Nomad

Your replies are sickening darling. Perhaps you're accustomed to addressing total strangers with "dear and darling" honey? It does take credibility from your intended message sweetheart. Something you should think about honey bunch, although I'm certain you won't d a r l i n g.

June 30 2013 at 2:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
sgrif60

I see we still have witch hunt's in the USA! It's amazing how quickly someone can be media attacked when it's white to black but nothing happens when it's black to white. Who's the racist now....what wrong media...white people don't have the same feelings of black people. The "N" word thrives in today society because of the constant use by black people the most. If it is such a hatred word...maybe they should all be looking in the mirror when they say it too.

June 29 2013 at 12:09 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
zinajoshua

Do not try to make this about me being HOSTILE toward whites....you are not the victim this is about TRUTH and I am diverse I quite often are mistaken for being completely white.

June 29 2013 at 11:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to zinajoshua's comment
mrspelosi

Oh how sad you are so focused on the color of a persons skin darling. Yes enrolling in some diversity classes would do you some good dear.

June 29 2013 at 12:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mrspelosi

You do appear to be quite hostile dear. How unfortunate for you.

June 29 2013 at 12:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
zinajoshua

You can say whatever you want the truth will stand the large majority are white I know because I have talked to many AA and unlike you know how they feel. So go on continue
to support her. The cat isalready out of the bag.

June 29 2013 at 11:44 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zinajoshua's comment
mrspelosi

Oh my your hostility toward white people is so sad dear. Perhaps you should enroll in some diversity classes. It might do you some good darling.

June 29 2013 at 11:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jimjn2

Wow, way too much drama and to over the top reaction. here. She blundered 20 years ago. She said something stupid. No one is perfect. She apologized more than once.

How come all these outraged people and liberals aren't up in arms when people make fun and say mean, rotten, biased things or worse concerning conservatives, Christians, etc?

I never use the word for any reason, but how many times is that word said on the street, in comedy routines and songs, etc. So many Self-righteousness hypocrites out there these days.

I will now do my best to never buy anything published by Random House again. I never watched Paula's show or bought a cook book by her, but I will do both now, and often. Enough of this self righteous bunk!

June 29 2013 at 11:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
abcadams1

The Book may end up at Dollar Tree.
When a book "goes out of print" -- that is, when the publisher stops offering it for sale and wants to free up the space in its warehouses for newer books -- they either just recycle the books, or sell them cheap in bulk to whoever wants them, like Dollar Tree. When a book is remaindered, the author doesn't get any royalties from the sales of the remaindered copies. The publisher may well be selling them at a loss. The only person who makes any money from the retail sale of the book is Dollar Tree.

June 29 2013 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zinajoshua

I understand why these companies are pulling out on paula they want to send a strong message it is about time that this country has a standard against racism and inapproiate remarks. i am sorry she did not consider her words more carefully.I bet the large majority of people showing her so such support are white. hats off to these companies for saying this is about more than money. I as well many other african americans will be supporting them.

June 29 2013 at 11:25 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to zinajoshua's comment
mrspelosi

""You bet a large majority of people supporting her are white"??? How do you know that dear? Did you take a poll? My such a bigoted comment.

June 29 2013 at 11:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mrspelosi

I guess you meant inappropriate remarks like "I bet they are mostly white". Right dear.

June 29 2013 at 11:29 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mdavi66252

Many of these (I'll bet mostly male) executives who are making these decisions have used derogatory terms for women in the last week--or maybe the last 24 hours! You know the words I mean! B----, wh---, and worse! They toss these words off all of the time and think that they are hearty good fellows!

June 29 2013 at 11:15 AM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mdavi66252's comment
mrspelosi

"I bet mostly male" ??? They toss??? and "they think that"???? Oh my what a bigoted comment dear.

June 29 2013 at 11:18 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply