ADM Lodges Recommended Offer Documents for GrainCorp
Offer will deliver compelling benefits to shareholders and Australian agriculture
SYDNEY--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- ADM Australia Holdings II Pty Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYS: ADM) , today lodged with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission its Bidder's Statement for an all-cash, off-market takeover offer for GrainCorp Limited ("GrainCorp"). The GrainCorp Board has unanimously recommended shareholders accept the offer, in the absence of a superior offer.
"We believe our offer is highly attractive and in the best interests of shareholders," said ADM Chairman and CEO Patricia Woertz. "The Independent Expert has assessed the proposal and concluded that it is fair and reasonable, in the absence of a superior proposal."
"We also believe ADM's offer will deliver compelling benefits to Australian growers and the agricultural economy through access to new markets, investment in agricultural infrastructure, and its focus on serving the needs of Australian growers," Woertz added.
The all-cash Offer Price of A$12.20 by ADM, together with illustrative Permitted Dividends of A$1.00 a GrainCorp Share by GrainCorp, represents:
- A 49 percent premium to the last closing price of GrainCorp Shares of A$8.85 on Oct. 18, 2012 - the date of the last undisturbed share price before ADM first approached GrainCorp;
- A 48 percent premium to the one-month, volume-weighted average GrainCorp Share price of A$8.90 up to Oct. 18, 2012; and
- A 44 percent premium to the three-month, volume-weighted average GrainCorp Share price of A$9.14 up to Oct. 18, 2012.
A partner for Australian grain growers and communities
"Agriculture is an increasingly global business, and Australia is well positioned to take advantage of growing global markets in places like Asia and the Middle East," Woertz said. "Our objective is to help Australia meet that challenge, by giving growers more choice, greater access to global markets, more efficient and effective logistics and a deeper knowledge of market dynamics and best practices."
The Bidder's Statement confirms that ADM will:
- Continue to operate GrainCorp's port services in accordance with the current open access arrangements and will continue the current access arrangements for upcountry silos;
- Support or invest A$300 million in capital expenditure in the GrainCorp business from the execution of the takeover bid implementation deed on April 25, 2013, which includes:
- Supporting expenditures to implement programs announced by GrainCorp on Nov. 15, 2012 (including strategic initiatives, asset optimization initiatives and ports flexibility initiatives); and
- Investing an additional A$50 million over the next few years on strategic expenditure for the GrainCorp business;
- Invest, on average, between A$40 million and A$60 million annually over the coming years in the maintenance and improvement of existing infrastructure assets;
- Investigate opportunities to improve the throughput and performance of GrainCorp's systems;
- Implement technology sharing/innovation and share best practices in order to help growers succeed;
- Create a Grower and Community Advisory Group to provide a two-way conduit between GrainCorp management and the views of growers and their communities; and
- More than double GrainCorp's current yearly community giving to A$1 million a year.
"We have a long and proud history of strong grower relationships across all of our operations," Woertz added. "We are excited by the opportunity to be a partner with the Australian grower community as we help realize a bright future for Australian agriculture."
Timeline and conditions
The offer is scheduled to close at 7 p.m., Sydney time on Aug. 31, 2013, (unless extended) and is subject to a number of conditions, including the following (which are set out in greater detail in the Bidder's Statement):
- 50.1 percent minimum acceptance (including the 19.85 percent relevant interest ADM currently holds);
- No objection by the Australian Foreign Investment Review Board or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission;
- Receipt of required regulatory clearances in other jurisdictions;
- No prescribed occurrence in relation to GrainCorp; and
- No material adverse change in relation to GrainCorp.
The Bidder's Statement will be dispatched to shareholders on July 1, 2013. In the meantime, the Bidder's Statement can be viewed at www.adm.com.
This news release includes forward-looking statements, within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, that are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, including, without limitation, with respect to any potential acquisition by ADM of all or any portion of GrainCorp and actions that ADM intends to take following the completion of any such acquisition. There can be no certainty that the conditions to the offer will be satisfied and the offer consummated. These risks, uncertainties and other factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those referred to in the forward-looking statements. The reader is cautioned not to rely on these forward-looking statements. Other risks are described in detail in the ADM Annual Report on Form 10- K for the fiscal year ended Dec. 31, 2012, as filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements are based on information currently available to ADM, and ADM assumes no obligation to update any such forward-looking statements.
For more than a century, the people of Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYS: ADM) have transformed crops into products that serve vital needs. Today, 30,000 ADM employees around the globe convert oilseeds, corn, wheat and cocoa into products for food, animal feed, industrial and energy uses. With more than 265 processing plants, 460 crop procurement facilities, and the world's premier crop transportation network, ADM helps connect the harvest to the home in more than 140 countries. For more information about ADM and its products, visit www.adm.com.
Archer Daniels Midland Company
David Weintraub, 217-424-5413
KEYWORDS: Australia United States North America Australia/Oceania Illinois
The article ADM Lodges Recommended Offer Documents for GrainCorp originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.