Starbucks to Ban Smoking Within 25 Feet of Cafes

Starbucks to ban smoking within 25 feet of cafes
Sakchai Lalit/APStarbucks CEO Howard Schultz poses for the photographer before a press conference in Bangkok, Thailand, Monday, May 13, 2013. Schultz, visiting Bangkok this week to mark the coffee giant's 15 year anniversary of opening in Thailand, said Monday the coffee chain's first stores in India and Vietnam have been received positively and it might soon be time to give Myanmar a shot too.
NEW YORK - Starbucks customers will soon have to stamp out their cigarettes before approaching the cafes.

The Seattle-based chain says it will start banning smoking within 25 feet of its stores, beginning Saturday, where permitted by its leases.

Starbucks spokeswoman Jaime Lynn Riley says the intent is to expand the indoor no-smoking policy to the outdoor seating areas.

"If there were any concerns, we would hope to resolve it amicably." Riley said, referring to a customer who might be smoking within the restricted area.

The rule will apply to the 7,000 cafes owned and operated by Starbucks Corp. (SBUX), regardless of whether they have outdoor seating areas.

The policy shouldn't cause a big difference in many areas that already ban smoking within a certain distance of a business entrance.

Investing in Real Estate

Learn the basics of investing in real estate.

Investing Like Warren Buffett

Learn from one of the world's best investors.

equalthis

If I can not smoke and have my coffee, I will go some where else and buy coffee and smoke .I would spend about $3000.00 a year at starbucks, now it's there loss.to another coffee house, do not be bullied by starbucks,trying to take your rights away.good bye.

June 21 2013 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rickey

very dumm move, coffee and cigarettes go together remember the outside air belong to GOD

June 03 2013 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cate

As a non-smoker, it is a pain in the *** when you want to sit outside and everyone around you is smoking. I should be allowed to enjoy the outside area without choking. Smokers are causing the problem so I WILL START GOING BACK !

June 02 2013 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

how can you ban smoking when you are allow to smoke on a public street also what if there is other businees 10 feet away you cant smoke there this does not make sense

June 02 2013 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Connie

Most restaurants have the outdoor cafes for the smokers! People should stop and think about what would happen to their taxes if everyone quit smoking. I think there are a bunch of alcoholic legistlators because every time their is a need for taxes , they law it on the smokers! As for starbucks...I like Dunkin and McDonalds coffee better. I used to occasionally buy Starbucks, but no more.

June 02 2013 at 6:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlie

Who do these people think they are? If I"m walking down that sidewalk smoking and anyone tells me to put it out, we are gonna have a problem.And F""k nanny Bloomberg too.

June 02 2013 at 5:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
positano1970

Give me a break ! Caffeine is not a "drug" - please! Why don't the anti-smoking entities just go full bore, so to speak, and outlaw nicotine in any of its forms. That worked well the prohibition of alcohol.

June 02 2013 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bryan

Who do you think you are? Who are you to tell anyone anything cause you made it big, up yours ill never get anything from you again!!!! And I dont smoke

June 02 2013 at 5:09 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
addhominem

I don't smoke but I've banned Starbucks. I rarely go within 25 feet of a Starbucks

June 02 2013 at 5:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Smoking cigarettes & drinking Starbucks = 2 very expensive habits.

June 02 2013 at 1:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply