Fill'er Up With Weird: Our Readers' Surprising Gas Saving Tips

Gas tips vegetable oil
Getty Images
It's Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start of summer -- a season of picnics, road trips, amusement parks, and higher gas prices as half the country takes to the road to soak up the sunshine. And, with the price of a gallon of regular well north of $3 again, it should be no surprise that the Internet is full of helpful hints for cutting down your fuel expenditures. But if you've gotten tired of hearing about carpooling or the gas buddy, maybe you're ready for some advice that's a little more ... extreme.

For years, DailyFinance has been asking its readers for their best gas saving advice. And, while we've heard our share of the usual suggestions to ride a bike or take public transit, many readers have offered ideas that are a little more exciting. With that in mind, we've compiled some of the best out-of-the-box suggestions for cutting down on your gas expenses.

If you've got a great, weird idea that isn't on this list, put it in the comments section, or send it my way!

Bruce Watson is DailyFinance's Savings editor. You can reach him by e-mail at bruce.watson@teamaol.com, or follow him on Twitter at @bruce1971.

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Steve

stop selling all our oil to other countries

May 27 2013 at 3:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Steve's comment
rini1946

thats one the other is build more refineries right now there is no comption for the ones that are here. they are running full blast now and do not have to lowerer prices. Now if you build a few more refineries and they are only running 4 days a week they will have to lower the prices or go out of business.

May 28 2013 at 5:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WildMtHoney888

All the money consumers are saving can be used to pay for this little gem of a tax. Good note they are not taking the gas. Just the miles you drive.

May 27 2013 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
billharn

I usually run my air pressure about 10% over recommended psi; e.g., 35-36 psi instead of 32 psi. Ride is a little harder, but acceptable to me. You might have to rotate your tires more often, but no big deal--you can do that yourself.

May 27 2013 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cslinz62

I got myself a bike, 250cc. I'm tiny so that's all I can hold up and comfortably plant my feet.
The other was to save gas is walk. My 08 Camry only has 30,000 miles on it. Lol

May 27 2013 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goodgrief61945

Buying gas during the coldest time of day?? Bull crap ! The tanks are 10 feet under ground. The air temp has zero effect on the density of gas.

May 26 2013 at 6:13 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
fbq181

Increase fuel milage two ways: Install a smaller speedometer gear, and or install smaller diameter tires on your vehicle.

May 26 2013 at 5:37 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to fbq181's comment
Milbourne

l. Use a 5 speed transmission. 2. In front of long traffic\ lights, take the car out of gear, it will save on the clutch, and if automatic, it will save gas since the car is in gear and wants to go, so you also save on brake wear. 3. Plan you shopping ahead and make a list of things you need at every stop, do it all in one trip. The big one! If you can, move West where the roads are straight for miles. A cal will go straight if you let it,, saving rubber and improving mileage . My sister got as much as 36 mpg on a LaSabre which was only listed 28 to 30 at best.

May 26 2013 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Milbourne's comment
idcsr1

Using a manual is no advantage unless you always obey the upshift indicator light. Nobody I've ever ridden with manages that.

May 26 2013 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah elizabeth

My ex, an accountant, once helpfully suggested, while I was putting gas in the car's tank at a gas station while driving home from Mt. St. Helens, that if I would drive with my vehicle's headlights off, I would get better gas mileage. He was serious! Accountants are known for their notorious helpful suggestions...my family still gets quite a chuckle from this gas-saving tip :)

May 25 2013 at 11:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sarah elizabeth's comment
Larry 55

The guy is right, the more electric items you use in the car, the more the alternator runs to recharge the battery, the alternator is driven by the belt, it is always spinning, when it charges it does very slightly drag against the engine, your air conditioner will drag down the eng a lot more, when I drive from Titusville to Ft Lauderdale 'n back, (w' a 4cyl) (approx 440mi) if I run the air, I need to get gas around Fellsmere or Port Malabar on the return, (a little over 300mis) if I don't run the air, I can make it all the way to Titusville, I guess I should check Gal per mile.

May 27 2013 at 7:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ricorico55

put THORIUM 4th generation nukes on line 2.5 years to build and we can put 2 billion a day back in our country's pocket. also reduce demand by 30% thereby lowering the price too.
These new nukes are totally safe and China is building two now. Its USA technology but big oil has had their way with congress too long by financing their re-elections.
NO CONGRESS LEFT BEHIND !!!
check this out:

May 25 2013 at 10:09 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ricorico55's comment
Larry

What physics course did you fail. While yes thorium can be used in nuclear reactors, heavy nucleide fission is still fission producing a spectrum of highly radioactive isotopes. It is no more or less safe for the use of thorium. Third generation reactors like the Westinghouse AP1000 (the only one licensed so far by the NRC) are safer thru better design: loss of power causes the control rods to drop into the core and a huge tank of reserve cooling water placed above the core thus no power needed for emergency cooling. We are building the componants for the first 4 domestic reactors in several decades, now. China bought 4 AP1K systems already.

May 25 2013 at 4:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
setanta54s_back

and rico ? if they refuse to allow a hole to get drilled and extract the oil,what has you imagining THEY would permit THIS ?

May 25 2013 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GLC

burn water for fuel by drinking it!

May 25 2013 at 9:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply