Powerball Jackpot Leaps to $550 Million

DES MOINES, Iowa -- The Powerball jackpot has jumped to $550 million, a major climb less than a day after the latest drawing produced no winning ticket.

The announcement Thursday by the Multi-State Lottery Association means ticket sales have soared as the frenzy grows for a chance to win the big prize.

Mary Neubauer, spokeswoman for the Iowa Lottery, says the latest jackpot number has the potential to break the record for largest jump between drawings. That still belongs to a Powerball jackpot in November 2012, when the jackpot jumped $260 million to reach the all-time Powerball jackpot record of $587.5 million.

The latest jackpot has climbed nearly $200 million since Wednesday's drawing, which was an estimated $360 million.

The new jackpot has a $350.1 million cash option. The next drawing is scheduled for Saturday.

More: Lottery Lowdown: Before You Buy a Ticket, Read This

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

would like to take care of my family and do somethings i cant do in life now

May 17 2013 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

May 17 2013 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bert Heyder

If I win, I'm buying my own golf course and have my own rules of play. Maybe then I'll be able to play 18 under a score of 100!

May 17 2013 at 10:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

I'm a psychic..for only $25 dollars, I will give you the winning numbers...Yes, I told PeeWee Herman his bicycle was in the Alamo's basement.

May 17 2013 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

this is a rip off of the poor. go to any 7/11 and the poor are lined up hoping to get out of poverty by using milk money of kids to purchase tickets. aint no limos waiting for their patrons to purchase tickets.

May 17 2013 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ronbobel7's comment

you gotta be joking ???? the kids milk money ? get some better meterial , this stuff isnt cutting it ? if moneys that hard , then take a freeking chance for $2 , itll give you something to dream about for a couple days ? and if you hit , buy a milk farm and offer free milk to the needy ......GOOD LUCK ALL , ill take a chance for $ 2

May 17 2013 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

did you ever wonder why pay is so huge before 4of7, Labor day, Christmas, Easter?
It's so easy if you know all the numbers....

May 17 2013 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I'm gonna nail this thing. It's already mine. I'm gonna have a mansion with a front yard that looks like Agusta National. Every Sat. morning I'm gonna have all my friends over for bloody marys while a bunch of strippers mows the lawn riding around on my fleet of brand new John Deer lawn tractors.

May 17 2013 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

i dont like casino, gambling, lottery at all...
all 3 things are evil money of root

May 17 2013 at 5:56 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply

We are all dreamers: I am very sick and do not think I will be here at the end of the year. But it would be great to win the power ball and pay back a lot of people that I have met thru my life "What a Way to Go"

May 17 2013 at 3:13 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
stanley t.

I do remember back in seventies in Georgia, an older lady won 156 million and said the first thing she was going to do was to buy a brand new double wide.

May 16 2013 at 6:54 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to stanley t.'s comment

hold on its coming..wait aminute its still coming..ohh never mind i didnt see anything funny..roflmao i have to laugh at you because your stupid.how old are you 10 ohh wait maybe 5...and i didnt thank the lottery was around in the 70s..what a funny person..roflmao im still laughing because your STUPID

May 17 2013 at 12:39 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply

There are people who really do love their mobile homes. I remember seeing something on cable about a community of high end mobile homes where some were worth over a million dollars. Not my cup of tea though. There's an island I've got my eye on. All I got to do is convince Malcolm to sell it to me. That and actually have the winning ticket.

May 17 2013 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply