ServiceNow Enables the 'Citizen Developer'
Service-Oriented Enterprise Applications Now Created In Mere Minutes by Mere Mortals
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- ServiceNow® (NYS: NOW) , the enterprise IT cloud company, today announced the release of the ServiceNow App Creator enabling 'citizen developers' to easily create intuitive enterprise applications on the ServiceNow Service Automation Platform. With a simple "point-click-publish" approach, non-technical IT personnel through technically-savvy developers can rapidly build custom applications that use forms-based workflow to automate IT or line of business processes. App Creator ensures "best practice" development of custom applications without requiring coding or technology expertise.
Gartner defines a 'citizen developer' as a user who creates new business applications for consumption by others using development and runtime environments sanctioned by corporate IT. In a July 14, 2011 press release, Gartner stated that citizen developers will build at least 25 percent of new business applications by 2014.
"We constantly see our customers developing their own applications on our platform. The App Creator sets a new, low threshold for mere mortals to stand up a new application in just minutes," said Fred Luddy, founder and chief product officer, ServiceNow. "ServiceNow is empowering IT with a powerful platform for automating services delivered across the enterprise."
"App Creator provides a breakthrough in simplifying the process of building custom applications," said Jim Uomini, service level manager, Information Technology Services, University of San Francisco (USF). "We have been developing two to three custom applications per year on the ServiceNow platform, and App Creator improves the speed and organization of application development which is critical when IT resources are limited." With the power of the ServiceNow platform, USF has been able to develop applications for budget request intake, student data requests, digital signage requests, campus ID and security, online support for students - and they're just getting started.
'Citizen Developers' Unleash the Power of the ServiceNow Platform
Hundreds of customers have created more than a thousand applications on the ServiceNow platform. App Creator simplifies and standardizes common tasks, opening up development to a broad spectrum of people. Some customer-built applications include:
- Employee onboarding application to provide a properly configured computer, email account, network privileges, badge and other items to new employees through a self-service, automated process
- Public events management application to schedule resources, manage incidents and perform post-event analysis
- Software bug tracking application to track reported bugs, configure the bug status, move the bug to another status or delete the bug
- Supplier self-service application to self-provision required services through a portal
- Work order management application to track employee request for equipment and other assets
- Process rebate fulfillment application to track rebates requested and fulfilled, route approvals and deliver analytics related to costs and redemption rates
- Gift card inventory management application to streamline the production and release process of gift cards across four functional groups
This week at Knowledge13™, the largest gathering of IT professionals using cloud services for enterprise IT service automation, there are over 20 sessions, labs and related activities dedicated to custom application development and the ServiceNow platform. Knowledge13 is being held May 12-16, 2013 in Las Vegas.
Each year, through the Innovation of the Year Award, ServiceNow honors IT organizations that have developed innovative applications on the ServiceNow Service Automation Platform and achieved positive business impact. Attendees at Knowledge13 will determine the winner onsite. Past winners of the prestigious Innovation of the Year Award include CERN, Morrison Foerster, Pacific Life and VeriSign.
ServiceNow is also hosting its first-ever CreateNow Custom App Development "hackathon" to provide a competitive, application creation-learning environment for hundreds of ServiceNow administrators and developers. CreateNow provides an opportunity for novice and experienced users to discover the power of the ServiceNow platform.
The ServiceNow App Creator is available today to all current ServiceNow customers. For more information about App Creator, please go to http://www.servicenow.com/platform.do.
- Online: Go to http://bit.ly/knowledge13 for continuous ServiceNow updates from Knowledge13
- Newsroom: Access ServiceNow press releases and other media resources
- Social Media: Like ServiceNow on Facebook, follow @ServiceNow on Twitter and join the conversations using #Know13
- Community: Network with other ServiceNow users at community.servicenow.com
ServiceNow is the enterprise IT cloud company. We focus on transforming enterprise IT by automating and standardizing business processes and consolidating IT across the global enterprise. Organizations deploy our service to create a single system of record for enterprise IT, lower operational costs and enhance efficiency. Additionally, our customers use our extensible platform to build custom applications for automating activities unique to their business requirements. For more information, visit www.servicenow.com.
ServiceNow and the ServiceNow logo are registered trademarks of ServiceNow. Knowledge is a trademark of ServiceNow. All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
KEYWORDS: United States North America California Nevada
The article ServiceNow Enables the 'Citizen Developer' originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.