Walgreens to Debut Boston Flagship Store on May 1 at Corner of School and Washington
Expansive multi-level, state-of-the-art Walgreens brings a one-of-a-kind drugstore experience to the heart of Boston's historic Downtown Crossing
DEERFIELD, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Walgreens (NYS: WAG) (NAS: WAG) tomorrow will celebrate the official opening of its newest flagship store, located at School and Washington streets in Boston. The store, which will open at 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 1, features an extensive collection of innovative offerings, products and services unexpected from a drugstore.
"Walgreens is thrilled to provide a flagship location - unlike any traditional drugstore - in the thriving and resilient Downtown Crossing neighborhood," said Mark Wagner, Walgreens president of operations and community management. "We are transforming into a retail health and daily living destination that offers our customers unique and exceptional experiences to help them get, stay and live well."
The store's expanded features include:
- An enhanced, state-of-the-art pharmacy designed to encourage greater interaction between pharmacists and patients. At the core of this approach is an effort to bring the pharmacist out from behind the counter so they can provide more counseling to patients, offer clinical services and answer questions. The pharmacy also features an "Ask Your Pharmacist" desk, consultation rooms and an Express Rx kiosk for swift checkout.
- A LOOK Boutique beauty department featuring dozens of prestige and niche cosmetic, skincare and hair care brands not typically found in drugstores. As part of it, Britain's leading skincare brand, No7, created by Boots, will be available. No7 is well known for its internationally acclaimed range of anti-aging beauty serums, all independently scientifically tested. Specially-trained beauty advisors are on hand to offer guidance finding the best solutions for individual needs. A Nail Bar will offer professional manicures with the latest colors from essie and OPI. Expert BROW shaping and grooming services will be available at the Ramy Eyebrow Bar. Additionally, customers can try new cosmetic shades and styles at the innovative Virtual Makeover kiosk.
- Hundreds of fresh food items including produce and high-quality, on-the-go meal options such as wraps, sandwiches and salads made fresh daily.
- A Coca-Cola Freestyle machine dispensing 130 varieties of Coca Cola fountain drinks.
- Customers can also enjoy several flavors of self-serve frozen yogurt accompanied by an enticing toppings bar.
- An Upmarket Café offering a barista preparing fresh brewed premium coffee and espressos.
- A juice and smoothie bar featuring fresh fruits and vegetables included in distinct recipes.
- Befitting a flagship store, Walgreens will provide a robust selection of beer, wine and spirits and quality products appropriate to celebrate special occasions. A Beverage Wizard kiosk provides food and beverage pairing recommendations.
- A wide variety of fresh hand-rolled sushi and sashimi prepared daily.
- An outdoor café that acts as an extension of the interior space and will feature patio seating.
- Boston Moves Kiosk - by accessing the Boston Moves portal, Walgreens gives residents the opportunity to join the city's health initiative to lose 1 million pounds and move 10 million miles. The kiosk also lets users enroll in Balance® Rewards, Walgreens customer loyalty program, and engage in Steps with Balance Rewards - a program designed to reward healthy behaviors and activity.
The store will be open 24 hours every day with pharmacy hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Saturdays and 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Sundays.
A ribbon cutting ceremony will commence the grand opening on May 1 at 10 a.m. In recognition of the work by first responders following the tragic events earlier this month in the Boston area, Walgreens will be presenting donations during the ceremony totaling more than $100,000 to the following local organizations: Boston Police Relief Association, Boston Fire Department Children's Fund, Boston EMS Relief Association and One Fund Boson.
As the nation's largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2012 sales of $72 billion, Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) vision is to become America's first choice for health and daily living. Each day, Walgreens provides more than 6 million customers the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice in communities across America. Walgreens scope of pharmacy services includes retail, specialty, infusion, medical facility and mail service, along with respiratory services. These services help improve health outcomes and lower costs for payers including employers, managed care organizations, health systems, pharmacy benefit managers and the public sector. The company operates 8,077 drugstores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Take Care Health Systems is a Walgreens subsidiary that is the largest and most comprehensive manager of worksite health and wellness centers and in-store convenient care clinics, with more than 700 locations throughout the country.
KEYWORDS: United States North America Illinois
The article Walgreens to Debut Boston Flagship Store on May 1 at Corner of School and Washington originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.