Grieving Daughter Gives Bank Real Proof of Dad's Death: His Ashes

Manchester Evening News
Anyone who's ever had a parent die knows that dealing with a loved one's financial matters afterward is one of life's less pleasant tasks. It can mean numerous letters or trips to a bank or credit card company to close accounts, have money transferred and more.

So pity poor Siobhon Peers, who lost her father, David, to cancer in October 2011, but continued to receive letters -- about 20 in all -- from the Royal Bank of Scotland, saying the deceased owed 6 pounds (about $9.14 at current exchange rates) on his account, the result of a standard overdraft charge.

As London's Telegraph newspaper reports, Peers sent a copy of her father's death certificate to the bank to close his account, but the bank demanded an original copy and continued to send letters. "I sent them a copy of the death certificate and that should have been enough," Peers told the newspaper. "I wasn't going to send them the original as I want to keep that."

Nevertheless, month after month, bank charges continued to pile up, as the outstanding overdraft amount mushroomed to 625 pounds with interest.

Fed up, Peers eventually went down to her local Royal Bank of Scotland branch and gave them what they were looking for -- and more. In addition to an original copy of her father's certificate, she also produced her father -- such as he remains -- in ashes contained within in an urn.

As the Telegraph reports:

Staff stared open-mouthed and customers looked on in shock as Peers said: "You wanted proof my dad is dead -- well, here he is. I've brought him along with me."

She later said: "I took my dad to the bank, slapped his ashes on the counter and thought that would be the end of it. There was nothing owing on the account and I'm sick of getting hassled."

Peers, who has two sons and still lives in the house she shared with her father, lost her mother, Norma, when she was just 15.

Commenting on the matter, a spokesman for the Royal Bank of Scotland told the Telegraph: "After Ms. Peers visited the branch further information came to light which meant it was necessary to contact her again. We apologize for any distress cause and have now closed the account."

Despite her distress, we can't help wonder if Peers isn't rather grateful that her father was cremated, since a coffin is considerably more difficult to tote around.

(h/t Business Insider)

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

Professional Vs Do it Yourself Investing

Should you get advice or DYI?

setanta54s_back

so why couldn't she simply go to the bank
with the original,
let them do whatever and get that original one BACK ????

somehow she managed to haul her arse and the ashes.....
BUT COULDN'T get over there to begin with-

May 02 2013 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jcecoman13

Good for her she got her point across......

April 18 2013 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
piknplundr

All she had to do was provide a certified copy of the death certificate. When my mother died, everyone that was involved required a certified copy of the death certificate. No one accepts a regular copy of a death certificate. Same for a birth certificate and probably a marriage certificate.

April 18 2013 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frankie Baby

Those stupid asses at the bank.

April 18 2013 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Say NO to libs!

We BOUGHT, and presented official, "raised seal" COD's (in 1986, at $10.00 each) to everyone who needed official documentation of my Dad's heartbreaking passing due to cancer. I have to say, out of every of the several BIG NAME life insurance policies my Dad was apparently rooked into, John Hancock was the ONLY LEGITIMATE company who made a copy, RETURNED the "expensive" original COD to us, and paid my Mom without any argument. Why is this Life Insurance SCAM still LEGAL?

April 18 2013 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Say NO to libs!'s comment
setanta54s_back

it's stil out here because people sign on B ELIEVING THE BS told them instead of reading through the entire policy.

years ago met life took a hit when one went after them BASED ON THEIR LIES that your monthly payment s were the equivalent of a bank acct and would do equal or better than the bank
which of course is another LOAD of it-

May 02 2013 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
billc7777

Banks are basically corrupt... Devil is always in the details and Satan`s helper is writing the contract...

April 18 2013 at 6:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wr1960

copys can be altered. get more than one certificate. that is what the bank is looking for

April 18 2013 at 6:33 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Joseph

LOL- however the whole thing could be avoided if you understand that when the bank asks for an "orignial copy" they dont need the one and only copy, or even the actual orignal, but they are not able to accept just any photocopy. What they want is an official copy from the government, and you can obtain as many "origninal copies" from the government as you need. HTH someone else avoid the same hassle

April 18 2013 at 5:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joseph's comment
macdkkkb

Thanks for the info Joseph.....but I did present the bank with an official copy of my Mother's death certificate that I purchased from the state. I ordered several official copies. It had nothing to do with copies of my documents. My branch manager was as frustrated with the entire process as I was.

April 18 2013 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
macdkkkb

I had a similar experience with Bank of America. It took FIVE years after my Mother passed away to get the $1700 she had in her checking account when she passed. I provided the bank with a copy of her death certificate, showed them a copy of her will and called them NUMEROUS times to try to close her account. They were days away from turning her funds in to the State of Florida (they said it was an abandoned account) when I basically camped out at the BOA branch until I received a check to close the account)!!!! They claimed I never contacted them before!!!

April 18 2013 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

sounds like a BOA scrtewup

April 18 2013 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John's comment
C S Buck

Don't you mean "regular business"?
And now they've changed names. Could be because too many people avoid and/or drop them.

April 18 2013 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply