Chase Bank's Online Customers Stunned to See $0 Balances

Chase Bank. New York, NY. Photo by Robert Caplin
Getty Images
Chase Bank (JPM) experienced an embarrassing glitch earlier this week, when online customers were either unable to access their accounts or, more troubling, saw their balances listed as $0. The problems presented themselves on Monday to users logging in to Chase's online banking service via computers and mobile devices.

Chase's social customer service team began the day sounding feisty and refreshed:
But by late afternoon, after confused or angry customers posted screenshots of zero balances and "unavailable" messages on social media and demanded answers, the Chase team had cause to sound first alarmed, then apologetic:
‚ÄčThe company told news outlets no hacking was involved. "We have a technology problem regarding customers' balance information that we are working to resolve," Chase told the computer news site CNET. "It has nothing [to do with] cyberthreats; it's an internal issue. We are very sorry to our customers for the inconvenience."

Three hours after the initial alert, Chase Support tweeted that the problem had been fixed, saying Chase.com and mobile were "back to business as usual".

CBS News reports that the hacktivist collective Anonymous claimed responsibility on Twitter, but that no evidence supports the claim. Anonymous has targeted financial institutions and payment processors in the past; the group gained public notoriety after targeting Visa (V), MasterCard (MA) and PayPal (EBAY) in retaliation for those services' refusal to process donations to WikiLeaks.

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

tnllvlakergirls

I love chase **** happends when computers are involved it could happen at the credit union too all u had to do was call support and they would have given u answers and more than likely takin care of any transfer or or problem u all had

June 20 2013 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
calady50

And yet they are after me to sign a SS verification form for a credit card I've been using for 3 months now plus I have another one I've used for years?? I went to use my newer card at a restaurant today and it was declined! I called Chase and was told it was becuz I didn't fill out the form tho I had called them right away and was told I didn't have to?? They wonder why we fear identity theft??

May 28 2013 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zinetti3

Seriously, so a software issue is now the govt taking money out of your accts, that didn\'t even work in Cyprus? Get real. Oh and Chase paid back the govt loan with interest, 5%. Now if you want to talk inflation that\'s one thing but an issue with a banking system, come on.

March 23 2013 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sesses9179454

Testing, Testing, This is only a Test to see if we can really do this , Sorry for the inconvenience...

March 23 2013 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jolla1

Chase sucks! That's why I joined my local credit union.. No glitches and automatic notices of suspicious activity on my acct.!

March 23 2013 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fz6373

CHASE...."SUCKS"..

March 22 2013 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paddleman1928

that is what you will see for real when the gov't gets desperate enough to get money

March 22 2013 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wes-n-family

that should give you a clue about your future when you bank with Chase

March 22 2013 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ncheels015

intresting this article wasnt run untill today, when people have mostly forgotten about whats happening in cyprus

March 22 2013 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nnojr

Do you really need another reason to leave a bank? Chase is a criminal activity, was bailed out and still has no integrity! Why? Credit Unions have NO FEES, and free Checking, including FREE CHECKS! My credit union pays me 10cents every time I use my debit card, PAYS ME, no , not a roundup on my dollar, not taking out of checking and put in savings, PAYS ME 10 Cents every time I use my Debit Card. They have superior car loan rates and has never been bailed out like Chase! Chase foreclosed on thousands of people and would not consider alternatives!
Why do you linger at a Bank knowing they are evil! People are just stupid I guess and you can't fix stupid!

March 22 2013 at 4:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nnojr's comment
rb

Well, credit unions did receive about 30 billion in bailout funds in 2010. These funds were to cover bad sub-prime loans. Then there was the 1980's S&L bailout and debacle which spilled over to the Credit Union industry. They're not perfect, but definitely better than most banks.

March 22 2013 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rb's comment
jolla1

Not my credit union! Don't know where you get your info from..

March 23 2013 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down