Edgen Group Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2012 Results and Provides 2013 Guidance
Mar 14th 2013 5:34PM
Updated Mar 14th 2013 5:36PM
Edgen Group Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2012 Results and Provides 2013 Guidance
- Record annual net sales of $2.1 billion for 2012, an increase of 23% from the prior year
- Annual adjusted EBITDA of $144.9 million for 2012, an increase of 15% from the prior year
- Q4 2012 net sales increased 10% and adjusted EBITDA increased 5% compared to Q4 2011
- Q4 2012 adjusted net income of $11.0 million compared to $0.6 million in Q4 2011
BATON ROUGE, La.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Edgen Group Inc. (the "Company" or "Edgen Group") (NYS: EDG) a leading global distributor of specialized products including steel pipe, valves, plate, and related components to the energy and industrial infrastructure markets, today reported its financial results for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2012.
"With record net sales in 2012, we are very pleased with our year over year growth given the uncertain global economic conditions throughout 2012," stated Dan O'Leary, the Company's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "Despite the challenging environment, the Company was able to achieve record revenue levels while we focused on completing an IPO, refinancing our debt at more favorable terms and completing two acquisitions to expand our product offering, all of which continue to position the Company for future success."
Years Ended December 31, 2012 and 2011
- Net sales increased 23% to a record $2.1 billion from $1.7 billion in 2011.
- Net sales from our Energy & Infrastructure ("E&I") segment increased 24% to $1.1 billion compared to $911.6 million in 2011. Gross margins in 2012 and 2011 were 13.4% and 14.8%, respectively.
- Net sales from our Oil Country Tubular Goods ("OCTG") segment increased 22% to $929.6 million compared to $763.7 million in 2011. Gross margins in 2012 and 2011 were 9.6% and 10.0%, respectively.
- SG&A expenses in 2012 and 2011 were 5.0% and 5.4%, respectively, of net sales.
- Exclusive of a $3.0 million non-cash charge related to equity based compensation expense associated with the acceleration of certain equity based awards in the second quarter of 2012, SG&A expenses were 4.9% of net sales and reflect effective cost control for 2012.
- Net loss of $(43.4) million in 2012, as compared to a net loss of $(4.2) million in 2011, includes a loss on prepayment of debt of $71.7 million pre-tax ($69.2 million after tax) as well as other charges as reconciled in the tables below. Excluding charges, adjusted net income (loss) was $29.3 million in 2012, compared to $(3.4) million in 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased 15%, to $144.9 million in 2012 compared to $125.5 million in 2011.
- Sales backlog from our E&I segment decreased to $248.0 million at December 31, 2012 from $353.0 million at December 31, 2011. The decline in sales backlog reflects a slowdown in new bookings late in the year as many of our customers chose to delay capital spending initiatives due to uncertainty in commodity prices, global consumer demand for energy, particularly in Europe and emerging markets and fiscal cliff negotiations in the U.S.
Three Months Ended December 31, 2012 and 2011
- Net sales increased 10% to $522.1 million from $475.9 million in 2011.
- Net sales from our E&I segment increased 16% to $301.0 million compared to $258.7 million in 2011. Gross margins in 2012 and 2011 were 12.5% and 13.4%, respectively.
- Net sales from our OCTG segment increased 2% to $221.1 million compared to $217.2 million in 2011. Gross margins in 2012 and 2011 were 9.9% and 9.5%, respectively.
- Selling, general and administrative ("SG&A") expenses in 2012 and 2011 were 5.1% and 5.0%, respectively, of net sales.
- Net loss of $(44.1) million in 2012, as compared to a net loss of $(0.2) million in 2011, includes a loss on prepayment of debt of $54.7 million pre-tax ($54.4 million after tax) as well as other charges as reconciled in the tables below. Excluding charges, adjusted net income was $11.0 million in 2012 compared to $0.6 million in 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased 5% to $34.6 million compared to $33.0 million in 2011.
Dan O'Leary stated, "We believe the softness in E&I sales bookings experienced late in the fourth quarter of 2012 and early 2013 will result in a slower first half of 2013 compared to a year ago, but the second half of the year should support another year of sales growth. We expect a competitive environment across all end-markets along with continued pricing pressure for the products we distribute, particularly within the OCTG segment."
- Net sales for our segments are anticipated to be as follows:
- E&I segment - range of $1.2 billion to $1.3 billion
- OCTG segment - range of $0.8 billion to $0.9 billion
- Adjusted EBITDA is anticipated to be in the range of $142 million to $152 million.
Edgen Group management will host a webcast and conference call to discuss these financial results on Friday, March 15, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (10:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time). To access the conference call live over the internet, please log onto Edgen Group's website, http://www.edgengroup.com, and go to the "Investor Relations" webpage at least fifteen minutes prior to the start time to register, download and install any necessary software. To participate in the conference call, interested parties in the United States may dial 1-877-317-6016 and international parties may dial 1-412-317-6016. To access the conference call, please call at least ten minutes prior to the start time.
For those who are unable to listen to the live call, a replay will be available by dialing 1-877-344-7529 (United States) and 1-412-317-0088 (International) and using the conference number 10024937. A replay of the conference call will also be available at Edgen Group's website for 90 days following the date the webcast is posted.
About Edgen Group
Edgen Group is a leading global distributor of specialized products and services to the energy sector and industrial infrastructure markets, including steel pipe, valves, quenched and tempered and high yield heavy plate and related components. Edgen Group is headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Additional information is available at www.edgengroup.com.
Forward-Looking Statements Disclaimer
This press release contains, and during the conference call referenced in this press release we may make, forward-looking statements within the meaning of federal securities laws. All statements other than statements of historical fact are considered forward-looking statements including, without limitation, statements about our business strategy, expected future success, expected future growth and all statements under the "2013 Guidance" heading above. These forward-looking statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other factors that could affect future results and cause actual results and events to differ materially from historical and expected results and those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Our historical financial information, and the risks and other important factors that could affect the outcome of the events set forth in these statements and that could affect our operating results and financial condition, are contained in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"), including our prospectus filed with the SEC on April 27, 2012 and in our subsequent filings with the SEC made prior to or after the date hereof. We undertake no obligation to review or update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release. Investors, potential investors and other readers are urged to consider these factors carefully in evaluating the forward-looking statements and are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements.
EDGEN GROUP INC.
Three months ended
|Cost of sales (exclusive of depreciation and amortization shown below)||462,587||420,752||1,817,773||1,464,268|
|Selling, general and administrative expense||26,430||24,005||103,036||90,966|
|Depreciation and amortization expense||7,992||8,830||32,023||35,611|
|Total operating expenses||497,009||453,587||1,952,832||1,590,845|
|INCOME (LOSS) FROM OPERATIONS||25,075||22,340||106,205||84,364|
|OTHER INCOME (EXPENSE):|
|Other income (expense)- net||68||121||177||1,978|
|Loss on prepayment of debt||(54,724||)||—||(71,729||)||—|
|Interest expense - net||(15,711||)||(21,963||)||(75,610||)||(86,480||)|
|INCOME (LOSS) BEFORE INCOME TAX EXPENSE||(45,292||)||498||(40,957||)||(138||)|
|INCOME TAX EXPENSE (BENEFIT)||(1,188||)||773||2,486||4,088|
|NET INCOME (LOSS)||$||(44,104||)||$||(275||)||$||(43,443||)||
|NET INCOME (LOSS) ATTRIBUTABLE TO:|
|Edgen Group Inc.||(19,174||)||—||(21,363||)||
|EARNINGS (LOSS) PER SHARE OF CLASS A COMMON STOCK ATTRIBUTABLE TO EDGEN GROUP INC.:|
|WEIGHTED AVERAGE SHARES OF CLASS A COMMON STOCK OUTSTANDING:|
* Edgen Group Inc. did not have any assets or operations, nor did it have any common stock outstanding prior to the IPO and the Reorganization. Accordingly, the net income (loss) attributable to Edgen Group Inc., earnings (loss) per share of Class A common stock attributable to Edgen Group Inc. and weighted average shares of Class A common stock outstanding shown are for the period from May 2, 2012 to December 31, 2012 (the period since the IPO and the Reorganization).
EDGEN GROUP INC.
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||29,729||$||26,269|
|Accounts receivable - net||266,365||261,155|
|Inventory - net||388,204||339,371|
|Income tax receivable||1,067||1,209|
|Deferred tax asset||8||209|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||7,574||9,025|
|Total current assets||692,947||637,238|
|PROPERTY, PLANT AND EQUIPMENT - NET||46,834||46,647|
|DEFERRED TAX ASSET||4,812||1,044|
|OTHER INTANGIBLE ASSETS - NET||158,880||172,036|
|LIABILITIES AND EQUITY (DEFICIT)|
|Managed cash overdrafts||$||4,593||$||6,488|
|Income tax payable||7,707||4,307|
|Accrued interest payable||9,866||26,982|
|Current portion of long term debt and capital lease||2,822||19,244|
|Deferred tax liability||1,953||991|
|Accrued expenses and other current liabilities||29,298||21,350|
|Total current liabilities||266,862||307,929|
|DEFERRED TAX LIABILITY||5,314||4,544|
|OTHER LONG TERM LIABILITIES||3,109||783|
|REVOLVING CREDIT FACILITIES||56,894||37,523|
|LONG TERM DEBT AND CAPITAL LEASE||602,551||627,078|
|COMMITMENTS AND CONTINGENCIES|
|Preferred stock, $0.0001 par value, 40,000,000 shares authorized, none issued or outstanding||—||—|
|Class A common stock, $0.0001 par value, 435,656,862 shares authorized; 18,196,062 shares issued and outstanding at December 31, 2012||2||—|
|Class B common stock, $0.0001 par value, 24,343,138 shares authorized, issued and outstanding at December 31, 2012||2||—|
|Additional paid in capital||162,901||—|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(9,294||)||—|
|Total stockholders' equity||103,926||—|
|PREDECESSOR NET DEFICIT:|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||—||(25,648||)|
|Total predecessor net deficit||—||(77,447||)|
|Total equity (deficit)||26,402||(77,117||)|
|TOTAL LIABILITIES AND EQUITY (DEFICIT)||$||961,132||$||900,740|
EDGEN GROUP INC.
|Years ended December 31,|
|CASH FLOWS FROM OPERATING ACTIVITIES:|
|Net income (loss)||$||(43,443||)||$||(4,226||)|
|Adjustments to reconcile net income (loss) to net cash used in operating activities:|
|Depreciation and amortization||32,023||35,611|
|Amortization of deferred financing costs||4,564||5,048|
|Amortization of discount on long term debt||1,163||1,205|
|Non-cash accrual of interest on Seller Note||3,141||3,843|
|Loss on prepayment of debt||71,729||—|
|Equity-based compensation expense||5,439||2,632|
|Unrealized (gain) loss on derivative instruments||729||497|
|Allowance for doubtful accounts||1,028||380|
|Provision for inventory allowances and write downs||4,249||1,251|
|Deferred income tax benefit||(4,694||)||(1,251||)|
|Loss (gain) on foreign currency transactions||(293||)||456|
|Gain on sale of property, plant and equipment||(54||)||(996||)|
|Changes in operating assets and liabilities:|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||613||(2,160||)<
Add a Comment