Infonetics: LTE Market Nearly Doubling in 2013
Mar 13th 2013 3:28PM
Updated Mar 13th 2013 3:32PM
Infonetics: LTE Market Nearly Doubling in 2013
CAMPBELL, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 4th quarter 2012 (4Q12) and year-end 2G, 3G, 4G Mobile Infrastructure and Subscribers report, which tracks 2G, 3G, LTE, and WiMAX network equipment and subscribers.
"The U.S., Japan, and South Korea have been fueling the engine with LTE, but weak activity in BRIC countries dragged the overall mobile infrastructure market in 2012," notes StĂ©phane TĂ©ral, principal analyst for mobile infrastructure and carrier economics at Infonetics Research. "The good news, though, is that this year BRIC is coming back with some serious LTE spending."
TĂ©ral adds: "We're forecasting the LTE market to almost double in 2013, easily passing the $10-billion mark for the first time. Operators are in the midst of a second wave of LTE deployments, and LTE-Advanced is gearing for true 4G prime time, with NTT DOCOMO, SK telecom, and likely Russia's Yota all planning launches this year."
MOBILE INFRASTRUCTURE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global mobile infrastructure marketâ€”including 2G/3G, LTE, and WiMAXâ€”rose 6% sequentially in 4Q12, to $10.8 billion, driven by North America, China, and sustained modernization projects in Europe
- LTE revenue grew 115% in 2012 from 2011, fueled by an onslaught of new deployments worldwide paired with the existing strong markets of Japan, North America, and South Korea
- The GSA reports that 145 commercial LTE networks have been launched in 66 countries as of January 2013
- Ericsson maintains its lead in the LTE infrastructure market, though Nokia Siemens Networks is closing the gap as of the 4th quarter; meanwhile Alcatel-Lucent is #2 for the full year 2012 and posted its best LTE quarter to date in 4Q12
- Subscriber growth is driving the mobile infrastructure market: wireless subscribers hit 6 billion in 2012 and are expected to reach 7 billion by 2017, including 569 million LTE subscribers
- South Korea became the 1st country in the world to surpass 100% wireless broadband penetration, according to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
Infonetics' quarterly 2G, 3G, 4G (LTE) report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, analysis, deployment trackers, and forecasts through 2017 for 2G, 3G, 4G (LTE), and WiMAX mobile network equipment and subscribers. The report tracks more than 50 subsegments of the market, including radio access networks (RAN), base transceiver stations (BTSs), mobile softswitching, packet core equipment, and E-UTRAN macrocells. Vendors tracked: Airspan, Alcatel-Lucent, Alvarion, Cisco, Datang Mobile, Ericsson, Fujitsu, GENBAND, HP, Huawei, NEC, NewNet, Nokia Siemens Networks, Proxim, Redline Communications, Samsung, UTStarcom, ZTE, andothers. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
- Latest Infonetics Mobile and Wireless research brief: http://bit.ly/ZFXq2d
- Is there a mobile spectrum shortage? New data from Infonetics may come as a surprise
- Femtocells up 66% in 4Q12; big 2013 expected as 4G femtos ramp
- Mobile operators feeling pressure from OTT and free services
- Operators are deploying SON in LTE and 3G networks alike; name top vendors
- 3G and 4G self-organizing network (SON) software market set to double in 2013
- Operators stepping up equipment spending in 2013, led by Asia; growth returns to Europe
- Telecom outsourcing, managed services a $76 billion opportunity by 2016
UPCOMING MARKET SHARE/SIZE/FORECAST REPORTS AND SURVEYS
- 2G, 3G, 4G Mobile Infrastructure and Subscribers in Japan and China
- 3G and 4G Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers - 4Q12 Edition
- Embedded Mobile and M2M Modules
- Small Cell Equipment
- Total Fixed and Mobile Subscribers Pivot
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to learn more or register for Infonetics events.
- Scaling Small Cell Backhaul (View on demand)
- Diameter Signaling Control: Managing Mobile Broadband Growth (Apr. 11: Register)
- Small Cells Reality Check (Sponsorships available)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3395
Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
KEYWORDS: Â United StatesÂ North AmericaÂ California
The article Infonetics: LTE Market Nearly Doubling in 2013 originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright Â© 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.