Better Drivers Pay Less for Car Insurance with Snapshot® Usage-Based Insurance Program from Progress
Feb 19th 2013 8:20AM
Updated Feb 19th 2013 8:50AM
Better Drivers Pay Less for Car Insurance with Snapshot ® Usage-Based Insurance Program from Progressive
Snapshot now available to drivers in state of Washington
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Business travelers who park their cars at the airport several days a week. Families with an extra car they only drive occasionally. Drivers who avoid slamming on the brakes. They're all less likely to be in an accident and can save money on their car insurance with Snapshot, Progressive's optional Pay As You Drive® insurance discount program, a form of insurance also known as usage-based insurance (UBI).
This cool Snapshot gadget from Progressive won't cost you a cent, but it could save you from zero up to 30 percent on your car insurance. (Photo: Business Wire)
With Snapshot, consumers can save on their car insurance based on their safe driving habits. Drivers currently earning discounts in the optional program are already saving an average of $150 per year. The program is now available to Progressive customers in Washington and open for a free test drive to all drivers in the state even if they are not Progressive customers. To test drive Snapshot, visit: http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-test-drive.aspx.
Snapshot creates a personalized insurance rate based on a driver's actual habits. Progressive has been awarded a series of patents on the methods and systems used in Snapshot, creating a program that is unmatched in its advanced technology, security and ability to optimize discounts for customers.
"More than one million drivers have participated in our program to get personalized car insurance rates by sharing information about their safe driving," said Dave Pratt, Progressive's general manager of usage-based insurance. "Now, Washington drivers are just 30 days away from saving with the Snapshot program."
How Snapshot Works
- After drivers sign up for the Snapshot program, they receive a device that fits in the palm of their hand and plugs into the on-board diagnostic (OBD) port of their car. The Snapshot device measures how, how much and when consumers drive their vehicle, then sends that driving data to Progressive. It doesn't have GPS, so it doesn't track a vehicle's location or know if a driver is speeding.
- After 30 days, customers will find out if they're eligible for a discount based on their driving habits. People who drive less, in safer ways and during safer times of day are more likely to get a discount.
- Customers that keep the device installed for their six-month policy term will receive their final discount and return the device to Progressive.
- Non-customers that test drive Snapshot will have the option to switch to Progressive and keep their discount or return the device to Progressive without switching.
- Snapshot is voluntary and customers can opt out at any time.
- Drivers who are not Progressive customers are not required to switch after testing Snapshot.
- Drivers can earn a discount from 0-30 percent based on their driving behavior.
- Customers can review their projected discount by simply visiting www.progressive.com and logging into their policy, or using Progressive's mobile app.
- Progressive has tested and refined its UBI program for more than 15 years and has collected more than six billion miles of driving data.
- Snapshot website: http://www.progressive.com/snapshot/
- Snapshot test drive website: http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-test-drive.aspx
- Find a Snapshot certified local agent: http://www.progressiveagent.com
- Flo demonstrates Snapshot: http://youtu.be/ggWY7OPag0s
- Snapshot images for download: http://www.flickr.com/photos/progressive_insurance/sets/72157624777233319/
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies makes it easy to understand, buy, and use auto insurance. Progressive offers choices so consumers can reach it whenever, wherever, and however it's most convenient—online at progressive.com, by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, on a mobile device or in-person with a local agent.
Progressive offers insurance for personal and commercial autos and trucks, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles, and homes. It's the fourth largest auto insurer in the country, the largest seller of motorcycle insurance, and a leader in commercial auto insurance. Progressive also offers car insurance online in Australia at http://www.progressiveonline.com.au.
Founded in 1937, Progressive continues its long history of offering shopping tools and services that save customers time and money, like Name Your Price®, the Snapshot Discount®, and a concierge level of claims service.
The Common Shares of The Progressive Corporation, the Mayfield Village, Ohio-based holding company, trade publicly at (NYS: PGR) .
Erin Vrobel, 440-395-0179
KEYWORDS: United States North America Ohio Washington
The article Better Drivers Pay Less for Car Insurance with Snapshot® Usage-Based Insurance Program from Progressive originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.