Widow Elsie Smith Sells Everything She Owns to Bury Late Husband

Widow Sells Everything She Owns to Bury Late Husband

By Alexis Shaw

A 91-year-old Arlington, Wash., widow is selling all of her belongings so she can afford to bury her late husband.

Elsie Smith told ABCNews.com she is hoping that by selling all of her possessions through an estate sale, she can bury her husband in the same cemetery as their family members in Snohomish, Wash.

Smith said that someday, she wants to be buried there as well.

Smith had been married to her late husband, Joe Smith, for "46 and a half years," she said. The two met through her niece's husband, who was a co-worker of his at the time.

Joe Smith passed away at the age of 88 on Feb. 5. For the past two years, he had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease, ABC's Seattle affiliate KOMO reported.

"I loved that man more than anything in this whole wide world," she told KOMO.

Smith has a total of $9 to her name, KOMO reported. She said she thinks it will cost "about $3,000 for the funeral."

"I would like to get some help in any way that I possibly can," she said.

Everything is up for grabs in Smith's apartment when the sale takes place, except "her makeup and her clothes," she said. Smith said she will not be selling her husband's clothing either.

Smith said her late husband's niece is helping her with the estate sale, which she thinks will happen sometime next week.

"I'd like to keep everything," she said. "But I have to sell it."

Related Articles:

Where Does Your Spouse's Credit Card Debt Go When They Die?
Estate Tax Is Alive and Well, and States Are Dying for the Revenue
Don't Make These Estate Planning Mistakes

Introduction to Retirement Funds

Target date funds help you maintain a long term portfolio.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

gmydogbud

Oh - The New Normal !!!

February 22 2013 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
setanta_1

oooooooooooommmmmmgg
this pos garbage is still here and the morons are still swooning over this bs ?

February 21 2013 at 12:42 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
SICITAM4E

AGAIN, SERVICE CORPORATION INTERNATIONAL SHOULD CONTACT THIS WOMAN AND OFFER HER FREE BURIAL AND SERVICES. THEY ARE THE LARGEST CEMETERY AND FUNERAL HOME OWNERS IN THE WORLD. CANNOT BELIEVE NOONE HAS COME FORWARD FROM THIS COMPANY!!

February 19 2013 at 5:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
twosharks

Think about it folks - this story was only intended to get money from others - everyone is a scammer these days.

February 19 2013 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gailneuman

I found her on 411.com and mailed a check yesterday. It's listed under Joseph Smith in Arlington, WA. I hope many more help her out also

February 19 2013 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
delicious joey

ok where can i send the lady a few bucks.if you know send me a link or just an address.i dont know if this some bullshit story or not and i dont care.someone is telling me they are in a terrible situation and need help,,if i get taken oh well thats the breaks.

February 19 2013 at 12:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
SICITAM4E

AGAIN, I WILL SAY, SERVICE CORPORATION INTERNATIONAL ARE THE LARGEST CEMETERY AND FUNERAL HOME OWNERS IN THE WORLD. THEY CAN SURELY GIVE THIS WOMAN A FREE BURIAL FOR HER HUSBAND. I AM ALSO SURE THEY HAVE READ THIS STORY. IF THEY ARE SO CHEAP THAT THEY WON'T HELP, AT LEAST DO IT FOR THE PUBLICITY ALONE. CANNOT BELIEVE THEY HAVE NOT COME FORWARD WITH HELP!!

February 19 2013 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

When my wife of over 25 years and I get a quiet moment alone tonight, I am going to tell her that if I ever die suddenly and she does not have the money to bury me not to worry with it as I will not be feeling anything anyways and I will have no clue where my remains end up after I am dead. She can feel free to have me cremated and spread my ashes at some of our favorite fishing spots. I have the insurance to cover a full burial, but why waste the money when she can have me disposed of cheaply and go get herself a new car or something with what is left over?

February 18 2013 at 2:51 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
hardtohandle

If you're too stupid to NOT have saved or bought an insurance policy, you're too stupid to realize that a casket burial is a luxury. Have him cremated, you can do that and bury the ashes cheaper, they'll give you the box as part of the cremation deal. After someone's dead, it doesn't matter where the body goes. Cemetaries are for the living. Bruhaha over nothing.

February 18 2013 at 1:48 PM Report abuse -14 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to hardtohandle's comment
Hey there Barbie

I just donated...I bust my a$$ to provide for myself and kids and am ALWAYS willing to help. Ive been a daycare teacher forver 25 years. It's an industry where you don't get paid much but I think of it this way...I am dedicated and LOVE what I do! I work for my money and I do as I please with it even if it's my last dollar & even if it helps someone in need like Elsie!!

February 18 2013 at 12:15 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply