The 10 Most Expensive Cities in the United States

Orange County, Ca., makes the list of one of the top 10 most expensive cities in the US. (Getty Images)
By Julie Zeveloff

When it comes to living expenses, Manhattanites pay more than twice the national average.
That's according to the Council for Community and Economic Research, which has just released its sixth annual cost-of-living index looking at what professionals pay for a basket of goods and services in urban areas around the U.S.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from Manhattan is Harlingen, Tex., where the standard cost of living was nearly 19 percent less than the national average. And this year, Boston knocked Truckee-Nevada County, Calif. out of the top 10.

The composite index is based on six areas: housing, utilities, grocery items, transportation, health care, and miscellaneous goods and services. It's representative of most households in the top income quintile, CCER said.

We've rounded up the top 10, as well as the average costs of some items and services in those areas.

More from Business Insider:

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

BeagleDawg

Four out ofthe top 10 most expensive places to live are in California. Does this supriise you? And thats before you pay your taxes. Even the movies stars are starting to bail out.

February 19 2013 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
classof68gto

Almost any place in California is very expensive. Santa Barbara for one as I lived there 29 years Beautiful town though

February 15 2013 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
winkumjim

ARE YOU ALL STUPID??????????? THE DONALD CHARGES YOU 20 BUCKS A DAY TO PARK AT THE
TAJ MAJAL IN ATLANTIC CITY. FREE VALET PARKING AT BELLAGGIO IN VEGAS--YOU ARE ALL STUPID
I AM FROM LONG ISLAND AND I LIVE IN ARIZONA NOW-- THEY WOULD SHOOT YOU HERE IF YOU PAYED
MORE THAN 2000 A YEAR PROPERTY TAXES . YOU MUST BE STUPID . WE MAY BE HOT IN THE SUMMER
BUT THERE IS A REASON WHY SPRING TRAINING IS HERE. YOU DUMMIES VISIT US DURING THE
WINTER MONTHS---I TRAVEL TO LONDON OR SEATTLE DURING THE HOT MONTHS. IF I WANT TO GO
TO THE BEST BEACHES--IT IS CALLED SAN DIEGO OR PISMO. YOU ALL BEND OVER AND PAY EXTRA FOR NOTHING. DO NOT COMPLAIN THAT TAXES ARE HIGH----YOU ALL ARE DUMB ENOUGH TO PAY THEM.

February 15 2013 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susin

a haircut in manhattan/brooklyn for around $20?
hahahaha

February 14 2013 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
newportmb74

NYC is nothing but a rich persons paradise nowadays. You cant afford a decent house anywhere where there arent bullets coming thru the window( for those who know what I mean, the only places I can touch a under $ 200K house, which is what I can afford, and I make like $ 75K a year, is east NY< or far rock, NO THANK YOU. decent places is over $ 400K , which I cant afford without 2 incomes(GOOD INCOMES , not a wife who makes $ 12 /hr) so I\'m counting the days I can get out of this overpriced, overrated, overtaxed pit, and take my money to a place that deserves, and I can get more for It, and the rich/yuppies/hipsters can have it...dont know whos gonna take them to work(which I do) or clean their toilets/serve thier food, etc, since none of those workers can afford to live here, and you can do those crummy jobs down south, and buy a house !!!

February 14 2013 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to newportmb74's comment
xraybrain

what about condos......those should be less than homes, generally speaking. I live in a wealthy suburb of Boston, one of the towns mentioned in the top ten here. Even though the boston area is expensive you can still find condos at an affordable price...if.....you are willing to compromise on some things. Like buying the ever so unpopular ground floor or basement condo. You can buy those for about 1/3 less

February 15 2013 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ycplum

Three of the \"cities\" are in New3 York City. I am guessing they did this by city or county. The \"city\" of New York is actually made up of 5 counties and the burroughs of NYC corresponds to the counties. If each of the burroughs were evaluated seperately as a city, four of the five burroughs would be in the top 10 most populous cities in the US.

February 14 2013 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

I have never seen a haircut or a barber price for what is listed here. So I guess I should go visit the most expensive places to live for the cheapest haircuts.

February 14 2013 at 9:04 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply