- Days left

IRS 'Where's My Refund?' Website Getting Flooded by Eager Taxpayers

WASHINGTON -- The Internal Revenue Service has a message for taxpayers eager to learn the status of their tax refund: Please don't check the IRS website every five minutes. Once a day is enough.

The IRS says its "Where's my refund?" website and smartphone app are being overwhelmed by eager taxpayers. The agency says its systems are only updated once a day, usually overnight, and the same information is available the website, the IRS2go smartphone app and IRS toll-free phone lines.

To avoid delays, the agency says the best time to check on refunds is evening and weekends.

The IRS says nine out of 10 taxpayers typically receive refunds in less than 21 days when they file returns online and get refunds deposited directly into bank accounts.

More on Taxes at the DailyFinance Tax Center

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

TurboTax Articles

Cities with the Lowest Tax Rates

The total amount of tax you pay reaches far beyond what you owe the federal government. Depending on where you live, most likely you're required to pay additional taxes, including property and sales tax. The disparity between the amount of tax you pay in a low-tax city and that in a high-tax city can be dramatic. Living in any of these 10 cities could save you a bundle, although the exact amount may fluctuate based on your income and lifestyle choices.

Cities with the Highest Tax Rates

Much ado is made in the press about federal tax brackets, but cities can carry a tax bite of their own. Even if you live in a state that has no income tax, your city may levy a variety of taxes that could eat away the entire benefit of living in an income tax-free state, including property taxes, sales taxes and auto taxes. Consider all the costs before you move to one of these cities, and understand that rates may change based on your family's income level.

Great Ways to Get Charitable Tax Deductions

Generally, when you give money to a charity, you can use the amount of that donation as a deduction on your tax return. However, not all charities qualify as tax-deductible organizations. While there are many types of charities, they must all meet certain criteria to be classified by the IRS as tax-deductible organizations. There are legitimate tax-deductible organizations in many popular categories, such as those listed below.

A Freelancer's Guide to Taxes

Freelancing certainly has its benefits, but it can result in a few complications come tax time. The Internal Revenue Service considers freelancers to be self-employed, so if you earn income as a freelancer you must file your taxes as a business owner. While you can take additional deductions if you are self-employed, you'll also face additional taxes in the form of the self-employment tax. Here are things to consider as a freelancer when filing your taxes.

Tax Deductions for Voluntary Interest Payments on Student Loans

Most taxpayers who pay interest on student loans can take a tax deduction for the expense ? and you can do this regardless of whether you itemize tax deductions on your return. The rules for claiming the deduction are the same whether the interest payments were required or voluntary.

anybody out there being prodded to pay estimated taxes for 2013......DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT DO SO.......have I made myself clear..........I'd rather write their sorry stealing azzes a check on April 15th

February 18 2013 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

AH your refund is currently being used for welfare , food stamps, free telephones for the lazy. and believe it or not illegals---so please wait your turn

February 18 2013 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Earned Income Credit is about the stupidest thing ever derived by our Gov't. It makes absolutely no financial sense get get some thing called a refuns when you oaid nothing in.

February 18 2013 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to trbgd's comment

Blame Nixon, he took the advice of Buckminster Fuller, and enacted the Earned Income and Child Tac Credit.

February 18 2013 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Oh give me a break. If you need your 100 dollars that badly, you need to get a life. It will be spent b 4 the end of the day anyway.

February 18 2013 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to karebear1952's comment

My refund is definitely more than just $100. Not to mention I was laid off last August and didn't have any income for 5 months.Employer fought me for UI and not to mention work didn't want to hire anyone in my area. So $100 would solve a few issues. There are some people that have worked for it and deserve it you know.

February 18 2013 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Tomorrow is my 21st day that I have been waiting since my taxes were accepted by the IRS. The WMR has been completely useless this year, and the first come first processed didn't happen this year. This was a first for me this year. To be one of those individuals that was the 1 percent. The IRS really showed their true colors this year.

Instead of worrying about how much users check the status of their returns, how about you fix your systems and communicate with the public. It's definitely been a frustrating tax season.

February 18 2013 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The IRS says its "Where's my refund?"

i say where the tax forms i order in jan13...........the gop congress wont pay the printer...

February 18 2013 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Why is it taking so long for my Federal Taxes to be accepted . E Filed 2 weeks ago and still nothing.

February 18 2013 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ntweety7777's comment
Patti P.

You won't like the answer to why it is taking so long for your Federl tax return..... My tax preparer told me NOT to expect a refund for a while because THERE IS NO MONEY.I think they are waiting for people that owe money to send it to them so they can send it to the ones that gets refunds...... They have spent every last dime in Washington and could care less if we ever get our refunds. However - if you owe them money it better be received by April 15th - or else. Another note that may inflame you is that there are hundreds of federal employees that owe back taxes for several years - and no-one is doing anything to them..... YIKES - This country is really in money trouble and everyone in Washington acts like nothing is wrong....

February 18 2013 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The IRS is beyond messed up this year. Money may be an issue but that ISN'T the reason your not getting paid. There have been MANY that have already received their returns already and many scheduled to get theirs. Don't let people put you into thinking your not getting your money because of the government is broke.f

Their are truly people's refunds that are taking time for review, errors, fraud, and just simply processing. As I said the system is messed up right now.

February 18 2013 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

if you worked and payed taxes ,u should get a refund , if you were and or on government assistance of any kind , no refund , I don"t pay taxes to have the gov. give my money away , alot of this recipents get food stamps , medicate , housing assistance and what not , and yet they filed for child tax credits and get more money free from the gov. No Siree , it is time to stop this madness , NO REFUNDS FOR ANYONE ON GOV. ASSISTED PROGRAMS , nO wonder we have a deficiet , I am not saying not to help this americans needing help , but they should not abuse our generousity. I worked and payed taxes and never got a refund and I was never or gov. help , even thought I needed help , so man -up and be a true american.

February 18 2013 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Want to make ends meet ? Do away with all retirement and high dollar health care for Pres and Congress. They were making a living before being elected, let them go back to it. And while we're at it stop the F16s and M1 tanks being shipped to Egypt and other middle east countries

February 18 2013 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

**** i am not going to comment , if you did not get my comment **** aol

February 18 2013 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply