11 Health Gimmicks You Should Stop Wasting Your Money On

coconut waterNo matter how many times we're told that get-healthy-quick schemes don't work, Americans' obsession with them remains as robust as ever.

Too bad most of these fads aren't worth their weight in salt -- or your hard-earned dollars. We've put together a list of some of worst so-called health trends that still persist today.

Also on Business Insder:

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

idodeco2

If it's organic, hopefully it's not coming from GMO seeds.

December 12 2012 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Jo, sr

Common sense and moderation are two good guiding tools.

December 11 2012 at 11:30 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
drbuckles

Republican, Dan Quayle's Council on Competitiveness deregulated GM food to make American producers of food more competitive in the world. As a result genetically altered foods have been banned in foods around the world due to consumer pressure. Since it's hard to segregate these crops out from non GM crops many overseas buyers of corn, soy, canola, and cotton from the US and Canada are not permitted in. Moreover, these four main crops are found in American packaged foods so they are also off limits in many countries. In California the voters narrowly defeated a bill to have all food labeled containing GM seeds, but it is just beginning as smaller states are putting the question to the voters and more people are begging to realize that they should be able to have a choice in a democracy. Just another example how large corporations control the media and your government.

December 11 2012 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugh G. Moore

Are we Stupid or what?" fiscal clliff"? Ahat cliff? it is the Law already, it was good when they made it wasnt it?
or are we suckers?

December 11 2012 at 11:01 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mjr15

I'm happy to admit that I didn't fall for any of those. Moderation and excercise are the only safe ways to control your weight. I guess I am lucky becuase when I was a kid my Mom seemed to understand healthy eating to some extent, before it was in vogue. 50 now and still doing ok. Lessons learned young, last a lifetime.

December 10 2012 at 7:49 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Judith

The idea here is to use common sense. When I was about 5 years old, a family friend (who also happened to be a doctor) was visiting and saw margarine on the table (it was much cheaper than butter). He told my mother that it wasn't even food and that if man messed with what Mother Nature provided or made it artificially, we shouldn't be eating or drinking it. My mother took it to heart. I agree with that premise, but that doesn't mean one has to be fanatic about it. I love the taste and texture of White Castle original burgers, for instance, but they're a very rare treat not a frequent indulgence - and I absolutely abhor the taste of "healthy" whole-grain bread, organic/natural, or otherwise. Give me the good old-fashioned "balloon bread," but I do prefer spreading it with peanut butter without additives, preservatives, etc. Also, I don't want meat/poultry/seafood with added hormones and/or antibiotics or artificial colors/flavors and/or artificial preservatives, but still do eat in restaurants once in awhile, and will not use sugar substitutes in any form. As I said, common sense but not fanaticism!

December 10 2012 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply