Highest-Paid-Government
A new online service has put a spotlight on the 1,000 most highly paid federal civil servants, renewing the debate on whether government employees are overcompensated.

The list of highest paid civil servants, issued by an Internet start-up firm, WikiOrgCharts, provides a new perspective on the extent to which doctors, lawyers and banking professionals hold top-paying government jobs, and the sizable incomes that the federal government pays to attract senior management talent.

The ranking also represents the latest example of private sector firms creating new products using publicly available government data.

The newly-released rankings reveal the names, titles, agencies and base salaries of 1,000 federal workers, based on information released earlier this year from the federal Office of Personnel Management.

To read the full article on AOL Government, click here.

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

How to Avoid Financial Scams

Avoid getting duped by financial scams.

Kristi Zellmer

uptil I saw the draft that said $7215, I did not believe that...my... friends brother woz like actualy taking home money parttime at there labtop.. there brothers friend has been doing this for only about 13 months and by now cleared the loans on their appartment and bourt a new Lotus Elan. we looked here..http://widg.me/oeve4

December 07 2012 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smsneds

Most studies have repeatedly shown that government workers are currently making more than they would in the private sector. Perhaps there are a few "workers" such as doctors or lawyers that could make more in the private sector, but are the (overly?) generous benefits being taken into consideration? An attorney or physician in private practice would have to pay for their own health insurance and fund their own retirement! I would also guess that the doctors and lawyers working for the government aren't on call 24/7!

Teachers, for instance, are always telling us how poorly they are paid. And yet they pay far less for much better health coverage than the private sector and after a few years of teaching get very good salaries and a guaranteed job! (Not to mention almost 3 months of vacation and 15 sick days per year that they can accumulate for an additional "bonus" when the retire!) Two married teachers are going to retire with a 6 figure income for the rest of their lives along with guaranteed cost of living increases and health coverage. If they retire at "full retirement age" of 55 and live until 85, they may well collect over 4 million dollars! How many of their college classmates will save that much for their own retirement? Not to mention the uncertainty that comes with having to make sure private sector workers don't outlive their savings. What if you live to 98? Government workers don't have to worry - the money will still come rolling in. The private sector worker that "planned" for 19 years of retirement (remember - they have to work an additional 11 years - until 66 to get their 'full' social security payment) and run out of money at 85 will find themselves in a sorry place indeed!

It's been my experience that most government workers somehow really believe this notion that they are poorly paid, and yet few of them realize that those paying their wages don't have those generous benefits including a guaranteed pension and healthcare for life! They truly live in a bubble!

December 07 2012 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jdykbpl45

PIGS!

December 07 2012 at 1:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
scottee

we have to stop using the word "servant" because it's just not correct.
and everyone who works for the government should earn the national average wage or below.
maybe, then, they would figure out how to create an atmosphere of good jobs with good pay?

my senator came to Washington a young widow and she is leaving with a $45 million net worth and leaving us holding a $16 trillion bag of debt. is that service? I don't think so.

December 07 2012 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eyetoeye

Hello Jello Wanted People, Rethink it out, again because our humanity operates on weakness as well as strength. The strong are the most likely to become weak and for the majority people problems, weakness equals corruption. Please make being strong a better kind of problem so we can all reap the blessings of strength. Strong is BAD but Strongbad should be a blessing, Brian A Koller

December 07 2012 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe.dinky

We pay congress for what?A bunch of lame ass rich trash who can not work,it is sad that our government is ran by worthless ********. Take away all their insurance we pay for and fire those lazy bastards, they keep giving our tax dollars to countries who hate us but do nothing to help Americans.

December 07 2012 at 6:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Phelps

We paying for doctors, they could make 5 times what the govenrment pays them by billing the government. Most probably are career public servants performing boring mundane jobs. I think were getting off cheap.

December 06 2012 at 11:12 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Stefanie Carter

Elizabeth. you think Jesus`s artlclee is flabbergasting... on friday I got a top of the range Citroën DS after having made $8812 this last month and in excess of $10k this past month. with-out any doubt it's the nicest-job I have ever done. I started this 3 months ago and pretty much immediately was earning at least $71 per-hr. I follow the details here..www.Google.mel7.com

December 06 2012 at 3:48 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
z4rock

I am not forced to give them money if they are in the private sector. I give $ to AOL cause I chose to.

December 06 2012 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to z4rock's comment
chris1011

I am forced to pay for a vastly bloated military which I don't believe provides me with any more protection than one that was half as big - all because some right wing politicians want to protect their military industries in their states. However, I don't go around protesting about it the way Tea baggers do about non-military spending programs.

December 06 2012 at 1:39 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply