No Man, More Money: Five Women Who Thrived After Divorce

Huma Gruaz

Clichés are often rooted in truth, and those about single mothers and poverty are no exception. According to a recent Spectrem Group study, recent female divorcees are twice as likely to live at or below the poverty line as their male counterparts.

But there also are plenty of people who refuse to be bound by those stereotypes and clichés: These five women learned to whistle a far different -- and richer -- tune after their marriages ended.

Motley Fool contributor Emma Johnson is a single mom to two preschoolers. She blogs at WealthySingleMommy.com.

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

Terry Power

It's refreshing to see people break with their past and move on to greater things. Sometimes people just need a little encouragement (or being faced with the need to stand on their own two feet). Kudos to these successful people!

October 20 2013 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Tiffany

Marriage is a two way street with both people making promises to each other, but when one person breaks those promises for whatever reason or for what they call a simple fling or cheating or their new best friend then those promises cease to mean anything. When that happens in many instances divorce is not far behind. There is no point in bemoaning either person for whatever reason the cause. The simple fact is a toxic situation or situations happened that had to be corrected for the good of both people and family members. If the person causing the situation cannot or will not make changes then its time to get out, and beyond the situation to a healthier life.

November 27 2012 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ATM

If you are not happy or are unable to keep a commitment in difficult times, then bail. It suks when a female reporter tries to glamorize divorce rather than promote the millions who work through dhallenges of relationships and struggle, but keep their partnership alive.

Way too much focus on "me me me"and way too little on "we we we"!

November 27 2012 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Tiffany

I not only thrived, I had the best successes of my entire life turning it into an amazing life. These came only after a lengthy marriage with toxic situations. I worked my out of the marriage while developing an independent attitude and into a much better life for all concerned. When a marriage is toxic from the beginning its best to get out, and make a clean break. I did the unheard of when I walked away in1980 with a quick divorce and no alimony ensuring there would be no attempts to hold me back. Holding onto someone and holding them back out of desperation or fear for whatever reason is never the answer. I knew under the circumstances I had lived with that a second marriage was not for me if the man felt it was his right to cheat whenever he wanted to or as was happening in the 1970's with mixed and multiple marriage partners.

November 27 2012 at 8:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mylacruzh

All you have to do is take that first step :) and walk as slow or fast as you want lol

November 27 2012 at 4:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melstrawb

Yeah ask my mother if shes financially better off when my dad left her with a 3 5 and 7 year old and she will say hell no and she worked too.

November 27 2012 at 3:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gkaspar287

I'm agreeing with lklex here. Why is there no mention of men, and I know some personally, who were left high and dry and devastated by their "so-called" loving wife who just didn't feel like being married anymore, and left, of course, to a higher bidder. I know of men who picked themselves up, moved on, started a new family and prospered while their tramp wife either went on welfare or no one wanted anything to do with them. I'll never understand the purpose of an article such as this one. What does it prove?

November 26 2012 at 10:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lklex

In the interests of gender equity, how about a follow up of how five men thrived after divorce: "No woman, more money." Oh, silly me that wouldn't be male-bashing and, therefore, wouldn't meet AOL's Daily Finance standards for publication.

November 26 2012 at 10:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mgnficntoz

As the notion that men are no longer needed has been foisted upon us, as in embarrassingly stupid sayings like “a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle,” so too the willingness of men to put themselves into a 30-year straitjacket (in original) of financial responsibility and unhappy, perpetual fidelity (for little or no reward nor even cultural support any longer) has begun to disappear. The Disappearing Traditional Man--Letters to the editor WSJ 10/19/99

November 26 2012 at 9:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Gshem

If her personal income is 3-4 times what her husband made when they were married she should be paying him alimony. It never seems to go the other way. When they were married, she was living in a big house with a swimming pool probably sitting on her ass or at the country club while he busted his ass and probably cheating as well, hence causing the marriage to fall apart.

November 26 2012 at 2:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gshem's comment
poll100

Raising their children. She was 1/2 of a partnership.

November 26 2012 at 3:42 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply