5 Things You Shouldn't Buy on Black Friday

Black Friday shoppers duck under the opening door of a Sears store

Online shopping is getting more popular every year, but that doesn't mean that Black Friday is going out of style. Between in-store doorbusters and online deals, retailers are once again finding ways to grab consumers' interest this year. According to numbers released last week by retail industry group the National Retail Federation, 147 million Americans plan to shop on Black Friday weekend, nearly half the country's population.

Half of all Americans can't be wrong, can they?

Well, as it turns out, they might be. While there are certainly some good deals to be had that day, historical pricing trends suggest that some classes of items tend to have better prices before or after Black Friday. And a few specific items that have shown up in this year's circulars should also be avoided, either because they're of poor quality or because they're not the deal they appear to be.

Matt Brownell is the consumer and retail reporter for DailyFinance. You can reach him at Matt.Brownell@teamaol.com, and follow him on Twitter at @Brownellorama.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

pwanless

How about staying home and buying nothing?

November 25 2012 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DIANRYANA

God you people are freaking retarded you lost get over it! besides the world is going ot end on the 21st anyway !

November 25 2012 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GEORGE

Hello fellow Americans socialist or conseritive you vote does not matter you tube voter fraud and learn. Then as Americans put a stop to it.

November 25 2012 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jorka29

Insted of cutting benefits (PENSION) os SOCIAL SECURITY loewr or regulate rhe life of IMPERIAL
LUXURY of the president , family member and entourage of friends

November 25 2012 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jorka29's comment
MIKE HALL

are you saying that Michelles 1.4 million dollar per cone of ice cream is carrying it a little far?

November 27 2012 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ericjohnson822@yahoo.com

You better buy for your kids something that would enhance their creativity like creative play toys at http://www.woodentoddlertoys.com/pretendplay.html.

November 25 2012 at 3:06 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Joe Taylor

Most black friday sales are bogus. Once was an area manager at a large Department store. We were told to push all the chineese TVs, most came back after Christmas not working. "Caveat Emptor"

November 24 2012 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peggola

Can you say goverment contracts?......... .

November 24 2012 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
truckers.wife

I saw nothing on sale that would cause me to leave the comfort of my home this year.

November 24 2012 at 4:06 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Can a liberal complete a sentence without using the word "racist"....answer..no....a liberal can hardly link sentences period....unfortunately, the stupid vote too..hence Obama second term

November 24 2012 at 12:41 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Diane's comment
george1167

did you vote for him the first time? probably not. did you, like your GOP masters decide from the get go that you would not only refuse to give him a chance but to also spite your country in an attempt to force your predictions of inadequacy to come true and try to make it a one term presidency? i know you did! there are two firsts here. 1) First Black President. 2) First time republicans, in a blanket policy, put their hatred for a president ahead of the greater good of the country they pretend to stand for. Coincidence? I think not. Also amazingly similar to defiant and insolent school children (if I can't play then neither can you, nana nana nanaaa). If you think this is good for the country i was born and raised in and loved growing up (but am starting to loath thanks to the likes of you folk), you are so dumbfoundingly ignorant that it's similar to grasping the size of the universe!
And yet you obviously equate yourself with intelligence. Hardly.
By the way, as I'm sure your small and narrow minded self has already painted a derogatorypicture of me, I'll clear up a few things. I'm White, middle class, and American as far back as anyone's family. I work here and pay taxes here. I served my country for the freedoms you want to suppress, and I buy American if possible.
Link that BITCH!

November 24 2012 at 9:14 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to george1167's comment
yearsocrapleft

~~~>S.T.F.U,~~~

November 24 2012 at 10:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
MIKE HALL

Wow passion and anger,always a deadly cocktail. You started a really nice post ,ended it showing your true heart ,with filthy words. Thought for a moment you were educated, showed me at the end you arent. I did vote for obama ,first time ,didnt vote at all second time he didnt need me anyway. I paint no picture of you other than another sad, and angry person who finds some twisted pleasure in talking to others as though they are trash under your feet and not,you fellow americans. I dont feel anger or hostile towards you ,only thing I can feel is ,pity.

November 27 2012 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Diane

Half of all Americans can't be wrong, can they?
yup they can...they re elected Obama didn't they....but those that voted for Obama are probably the same ones camping out days in advance (instead of working) to knock down old ladies and children to get a tv

November 24 2012 at 12:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply