DailyFinance Says Farewell to Hostess

When I was a kid, few things spelled joy like a Hostess fruit pie or a Ho-Ho. Long before Reese's launched its "There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's" campaign, my family knew that one's choice of Hostess snack was a definitive personality test. My decadent little sister, for example, liked to eat all the filling out of her Twinkies and then throw away the sponge cake, while my meticulous mother peeled the frosting off her cupcakes and saved it for last. I had a tendency to unroll my Ho-Hos (make of that what you will), while my father -- whose blood had more cholesterol than plasma -- cut his powdered donuts in half and smeared each side with butter before eating them.

It's been years since I ate a Hostess fruit pie or Ho-Ho, so the news that the company -- once again -- was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy didn't interest me all that much. But today, when I found out that Hostess was finally going under for the third time, I felt a pang. After all, old friends are still friends -- even if they are loaded with high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated beef fat.

Today, in honor of Hostess -- and the empty calories of our youth -- some of AOL's writers and I decided to revisit our favorite Hostess treats. We put our reminiscences in the gallery below.

What is your favorite Hostess treat? Let us know in the comments!

Bruce Watson is a senior features writer for DailyFinance. You can reach him by e-mail at bruce.watson@teamaol.com, or follow him on Twitter at @bruce1971.

Investing Like Warren Buffett

Learn from one of the world's best investors.

What Is Your Risk Tolerance?

Answer the question "What type of investor am I?".

gevconsult

What is the background of Alabama Governor

November 20 2012 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
freethedems2012

Twinkies are disgusting

November 19 2012 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ha6ai

Lets say goodbye to Bruce Watson. Bye Brucie!

November 19 2012 at 4:49 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
pnick57

I worked there in the 70's 80's until 95 there is alot more here that most people don't understand. Kimberly, you should have tried to pull a route at 3 in the morning working 12 hour days or more with no break in all kinds of weather so that people could have bread or cake in their home. It wasn't the union, it was bad managment plus the hedge fund. Don't spit in the wind you might be next. What's going on here in this country is the fault of bad policies by both the Republicans and the Democrats . From deregulation to NAFTA to Obama care to ending PBS, the country as you once knew it might be coming to the end. Now there is one company from Mexico that holds all the rest of the backing companies. The name of that company is Bimbo, no joke.

November 18 2012 at 11:09 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mbernst126

looks like we will never eat another twinkie. . I loved them as a kid . looks like the union will not be collecting the monthly dues and 18 thousand union workers are out of work.

November 18 2012 at 8:08 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
KIMBERLY

I HOPE ALL OF YOU THAT WENT ON STRIKE TO MAKE HOSTESS CLOSE NEVER FIND A JOB THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

November 18 2012 at 5:05 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Charle

Hostess is yet another victim of the Romney Hedge fund model that sucks the life out of the targeted company and leaves a debt ridden shell destined to fail The hedge fund managers walk away with millions of dollars from the looted company. And stick society with the cost of cleaning up the carcass.

November 18 2012 at 2:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Charle's comment
t_trevor2

it's pitiful enough village idiots can't discern the difference between private equity funds and hedge funds.

But to pour salt into the wound of extraordinary stupidity, Charle the dumbest 1%er is completely oblivious to the fact that Hostess owner, private equity firm Ripplewood Holdings, is losing 100% of their substantial investment in Hostess.

November 19 2012 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Les

If hostess really folds I'll eat my hat, they will just reoganize, void the union contract, and hire minimum wage people just more Union Busting in America Land of the Dollar

November 18 2012 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Les's comment
t_trevor2

Hostess will certainly fold.

There are likely assets (such as brand names, intellectual property, etc.) which will fetch bids in bankruptcy court. And the buyer may well choose to use those brand names to manufacture baked goods utilizing non-union labor. But doing so is not "reorganizing. Hostess owner, Ripplewood Holdings will experience a 100% loss on their substantial investment.

November 18 2012 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
t_trevor2

Do you like salt with your hat?

November 18 2012 at 5:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Les

If hostess really folds I'll eat my hat, they will just reorganize void the union contract then hire scabs at minimum wage, thats how things are done in the Land of the Dollar

November 18 2012 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamestcap

How in the world did Obama and the republicans get into this story?

November 17 2012 at 7:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply