18 Facts About Walmart That Will Blow Your Mind

By Dina Spector

Walmart (WMT) announced its third quarter financial results this morning. The discount retailer reported earnings of $1.08 per share, which was slightly better than what analysts were expecting.

Sales climbed 3.4 percent year-over-year to $113.9 billion, but this number was expected to be higher.

Walmart has come a long way since Sam Walton opened the first discount store in Rogers, Arkansas, 50 years ago.

So just how big has the multinational discount retailer become?

See more stories on Business Insider:
Walmart Has To Overcome A Scary Reality About Its Customers
Walmart Workers Film Themselves Destroying iPads, Then Promptly Get Fired
Big, Beautiful Pictures Of Wal-Mart Stores Around The World

Introduction to Economic Indicators

Measure the performance of the economy.

What Is Your Risk Tolerance?

Answer the question "What type of investor am I?".

FRANCINE

I'm honest, but for those who are not ... and we may all end up in this category, Walmart SELDOM - if ever prosecutes. You can walk to and through the door and Walmart will let it goooooooo. I was told they don't want to take the time to prosecute. What's the cost of a t.v. to them compared to court litigation? I was privy to just what - and how unsrupilous people get away with it. If it fits in your purse, it goes. Some rule, law that a Walart clerk cannot ask you to open your purse. Imagine what kind of dent you could put in Walmart's bottome line?
Not much, but your conscience would take a hit I would think.

November 17 2012 at 5:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Optimum

Puhleeze - nothing is acceptable until they buy at least 90% of their merchandise from American companies. I will NOT shop at a China store.

November 16 2012 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Optimum's comment
josephsferruzza

all i can say is wal mart or not this is still the place to live and work, look at the rest of the countrys what a shame ,GOD BLESS AMERICA..

November 16 2012 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
montgomerybikerrichards

How about we fire Washington DC and hire Walmart? I bet within a year our national debt would disappear and we could receive dividends.

November 16 2012 at 7:32 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
vi burrell

go fly a kite/lol

November 16 2012 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lamduck

Well, with those kind of statistics, I think they ought to pay the insurance premiums for their employees rather than be crybabies stating they can't afford to do that!

November 16 2012 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy Miller

I guess the people have spoken.

November 16 2012 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gcymru

Walmart = pro Chinese plastics; anti labor.

I WON'T shop there.

November 16 2012 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Gcymru's comment
aspman07

I am quite sure they have your EBT card # on file.

November 16 2012 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snowstormsef

yeah right

November 16 2012 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

When I went to pick up my bike, there was no one at the desk. I had to grab someone as he was heading towards the bathroom. I had to wait even longer because everyone was on break. Finally, a manager noticed I was standing around and helped me.
I hear
d him go back into the break room and say that if they didn't wait on customers, they won't have jobs.

November 16 2012 at 3:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cindy's comment
ragtopdaz

Well your going to see more and more of this as there are those out there who want to get fired. They will either sue for discrimination or just go and collect their free no strings attached government handouts...

November 16 2012 at 4:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ragtopdaz

"But there's no question that the company continues to be one of the most powerful businesses in the world."

That comment is bogus as the Federal Government is the biggest business in the world. Its numerous CEO's make a lot more than that guy off of the backs of the poor middle class.
Plus they have an unlimited expense account that allows them, their family and friends tax payer funded trips all over the world. Vacation days that run into the months for their not so dedicated service.
They just don't put other company's out of business or take them over. They just declare war on the country the
business is located in and take over the works..
They are also one of the biggest givers of non tax deductible contributions as its the tax payers money they give away freely to countries who hate Americans.
Plus they have no worries about making a profit as they also print their own money.
And if their printing presses cant keep up with the spending they just borrow it..
Yes the Federal Government is the biggest business in the world at giving the business to the tax payers with more false promises,lies,higher tax rates,shipping all of our oil that is owned by the public tax payers overseas for a nice profit by the oil company's.
Yes Wall Mart is really bad for giving jobs to people and keeping them from joining the Federal soup line in the form of food stamps and other tax payer funded handouts..
They have so much money they can afford this BS: The Obama administration provided struggling battery maker A123 Systems Inc with nearly $1 million on the day it filed for bankruptcy, the company told lawmakers investigating its government grant.

November 16 2012 at 3:50 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply