Virginia Jeweler Closes Store for a Day to Mourn Obama's Reelection

election depression closes storeA Virginia jeweler incensed about the results of Tuesday's election has turned his storefront into a makeshift billboard, closing Lyons Jewelers for a day to protest four more years of President Obama.

Lyons Jewelers in Bedford, Va., was shuttered on Wednesday, and six handwritten signs with political messages were posted in the windows. The largest read, "CLOSED: To mourn the loss of the America that our forefathers endowed to us." Another vowed that the store "will reopen tomorrow to continue the fight against a president who seeks my demise." According to local ABC affiliate WSET-TV, people came to take pictures of the darkened store, posting them on Facebook. Many observers were displeased: One boy who appeared to be 12 or 13 remarked, "It's very childish."

One customer responded with a sign of his or her own, taped to the glass: "I am sorry you feel this way!!! I do business I guess I will take it somewhere ELSE!"

The man behind the messages is owner R.T. Lyons. In an interview with WDBJ7, the local CBS affiliate, Lyons sounded subdued and almost conciliatory, emphasizing his feelings of grief following Tuesday's result, rather than anger, and explaining that he feared some unspecified changes to the nature of American capitalism. According to Lyons, during Obama's first term, "I felt like I've been the fox at the fox hunt." Now, "not only is the fox hunt not over, it's gonna be four more years, and they're probably gonna add a few more dogs to the hunt."

How to Avoid Financial Scams

Avoid getting duped by financial scams.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

Marzana

I was in retail for a long time. Doesn't this idiot understand your never supposed to talk religion or politics! It's bad business.
Hope he looses tons of customers. It will give him time to take a Dale Carnegie class.

November 16 2012 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtmpmm

This guy ought to wise up. Danger to capitalism my ass. And somebody please tell this guy that capitalism really didn't exist when our forefathers founded the country.

November 15 2012 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fuss1

Fantastic idea! It's his store, he can close it for a day, an hour, or a year if he wants to. I applaud him!

November 15 2012 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roberto Cruz

I also mourn the future lost of the values of our country. Thumbs up for the jeweler Virginia
store that decide to close their business for one day after the results of the presidential
election.. tha's courage and original.

November 12 2012 at 10:31 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
David

all is good with me, he just don't get piad for that day, poor guy?

November 12 2012 at 1:50 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I am a democrat lifetime who voted for a republican. It wasn't because he was a black man that I didn't
vote for him. I would have rather had Herman Cain as President. President Obama is not for the poor
man, and if you think he is than I am so sorry for you. I have already had doctors refuse to see my wife
and my mother because they are both over 65, and they both have insurance. I have recently been put on disabililty and can not apply for medicare for two years and no insurance company will insure me, so in
2 years I will recieve a penalty on my taxes due to Obamacare. The penalty will be 1250.00 dollars.
Is this helping the poor? This I am saying is true, as I have already experienced this. I feel sorry for
all who voted for him, as I am truly afraid of what our country will be like in four years. The American
Way will be gone forever.

November 11 2012 at 7:27 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bill's comment
David

Bill you say President Obama caused you all these problems, then you add your your wife and mother, now you must know that after taking office in 09 congress enacted these penalties, why to stop mr. Obama from moving forward, however congress knew this would hit the poor and middle class and to mention the poor and disabled really bad, but that's the way our GOP leaders work, they could care less about your health issues. I became disable in March 09, less than 4 months later we lost our 6 1/2 year old grand son to an accident, imagine not being able to work with on money coming in, my wife's small income trying to pay all unpaid bills, our credit wen to hell, we had no insurance, our house note, cat note, electric biil, no phone, no cell phone, no internet, no trach collection and the list goes on all because our republican congress made a pack to hurt Mr. Obama first, then give the tax payers a taste of their haterd for us electing Mr. Obama in the first place. Now here's what congress did, they put in place the two year wait for medicare, they took away back pay, they made it all but impossible to get approved for disability unless you were on your death bed with only hours to live? No i have no fear God put a stop to all the bull the GOP has been doing, it may be a little longer but things will get better, Mr. Obama has help now thing will be better thanks be to our Lord and Savior JESUS.

November 12 2012 at 1:44 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
sherrmorr

If you contact your state insurance commissioner, you CAN be insured. This is part of the healthcare reform law. Unlike car insurance where the high risk pool is extremely expensive, this policy is not. Please check it out.

November 13 2012 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toby

Virginia jeweler is an idiot

November 11 2012 at 6:22 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
reakemble

Guess the woman who taped up the sign saying she will take her business else where, will have to take her Bling busiiness, along with her entitlement check (why don't we just call it a WELFARE check anymore?) to the jeweler down the street!

November 11 2012 at 1:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
spiritcatcher3

Each to their own but i would investigate the voter fraud...do something constructive because none of these sums add up. The NWO were going to get him back in no matter what...i guess you let them get away with it. You now have to watch him to continue to destroy a once great country.

Devvy Kidd is asking people to get involved...maybe you all should who didn't like the result. I don't live in the US but even i'm upset the faker got back in...unbelievable. There is nothing worse than voter fraud it demeans a country and i should know it happened here with the Left...they don't seem to know how to win fair and square - they must cheat and it's so ugly. How could Obama get 108% of the vote...not quite worked that one out yet, but how can he get more votes in one State than there are actual voters - this needs to be looked at seriously because people are now saying that America has finally become a banana republic.

Its what one judge said about the UK and he was right.

Voter fraud must never be tolerated and people should ask questions...even if the answer is still not what you would have liked. The truth must always come first, Left or Right is not the real issue...honesty and democracy are.

November 11 2012 at 9:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wilmad110

Some one let R.T. Lyons know we did that when Bush left office ...But we had such a big party, lasted two days..We were just so happy not to look at that has been drunk...

November 11 2012 at 7:28 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply