13 Ways Americans Throw Away Money

Lottery ticketBlame the government or blame the economy, but Americans should also blame themselves for their declining net worth.

We waste a whole lot of money. Seriously, over half a trillion dollars each year -- and that's just for areas with available data.

So what counts as a waste of money? We included fines, bad investments like lottery tickets, and unhealthy consumption items like cigarettes and alcohol. We're not telling you how to live your life -- but we are identifying costs that everyone should consider cutting.

More from Business Insider:

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

Perry

Yes people are wastful, but it dose help people to keep working . Its all about balance, just have to use common cents.... :)

October 11 2012 at 7:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edthez

My god, they missed the #1 way... vote for obutthead.

October 09 2012 at 8:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Phil Collins

I once went to an internet site to mingle and when this babe replied I got a tingle and then she swiped my money and left me single.

October 09 2012 at 7:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tomjet529

It kills me to waste food. I have worked in restaurants and the amount is staggering.I like to volunteer at foodbanks when I can and you would be AMAZED at what they have to throw out! A can with a dent on the seam, or lid. Its all about lawsuits now.

October 09 2012 at 12:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jay

We waste money when we give it to Obama for his re-election.

October 08 2012 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jay's comment
morsergey

Americans are the most wasteful society in the world.
But American fake economy is mostly dependent on people wasting their money on the **** they buy. So if everyone suddenly become smart and stop wasting money, it will be the end of the USA

October 08 2012 at 10:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
itacurubi

I never saw the point of gift cards. Just give cash: it's a gift card that works everywhere.

October 08 2012 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rhonda.conner

I always wondered why the government doen't regulate food stamps like WIC checks? This way the stamps could be used for necessary items like toiletries, fruit, vegetables,etc... instead of candy and junk food.

October 08 2012 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ilsapproach

Our entire economy is based on throwing money away. If people would live like I do the economy would collapse. I am in my 40s and have only had 2 cars my entire life with no car payment. I don't use credit cards, I don't buy boats, I don't change my wardrobe every year, I don't waste money on designer clothes, I don't need a big screen TV, I don't need to buy a new phone everytime it gets updated. I don't constantly buy new furnature and redecorate my house, I still enjoy my life. With all this money I save I get to enjoy free travel and see the world. Buying newer things just to buy them is straight up retarded. Most people don't know the difference between a want and a need. If people would learn the difference between wants and needs this country would collapse overnight.

Economists basically scold people when they do not spend enough money. Most people do not save enough for retirement and in fact are one medical emergency away from bankruptcy. 70% ish of our economy is based on consumer spending using money they do not always have but just throw it on credit card. It is absolutely pathetic what this country has become. We outsourced all our jobs, our salaries have not kept up with inflation. The govts solution is to keep printing money and tell people to go out and blow money on crap they do not need. When I retire it sure as heck won't be in this country.

October 08 2012 at 1:58 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Scottilla

$15 Billion on bottled water. If you turn on the faucet, it comes out practically free.

October 08 2012 at 11:28 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Scottilla's comment
lhamner

Exactly. I expected to find that on the list. Instead they list candy? Candy is a pleasure that people indulge in. They may as well include movies, TVs, music, etc. But bottled water, as you note, comes out of the faucet.

October 08 2012 at 1:36 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
SPQR

it creates jobs

October 08 2012 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ilm9p

The single biggest way we throw money away in this Country is by subsidizing all the dirty animals who make a career of being on welfare. I’m talking about the filth that sits around all day in free Section 8 housing, with free utilities, free Cable TV, free phones, free food, and free healthcare, all the while breeding like rats with 4 or 5 children each sired by a different father. Then when this spawn gets old enough they send them to school to get free breakfast, free lunch, and free school supplies, only to get pregnant at 14 and start the process all over again. Vermin, absolutely worthless human trash that provides nothing of value to society whatsoever, and all us hard working slobs just trying to get by are paying for it.

October 08 2012 at 10:16 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ilm9p's comment
pozboys

How many of these people, do you actually,know? I'm guessing that you have only "heard" of these "people!" The majority of them would probably trade their situation, with yours, in a "heart beat!" A little empathy, or "walking in some one else's shoes, would open your eye's, but probably not your mind, as you don't sound, too inclined, to educate your self!

October 08 2012 at 12:40 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pozboys's comment
sodbustermgt

Pozboys-- Sometimes I drive through a low rent apartment complex where packs of little black kids in diapers are playing in the parking lot while their obese ,ignorant slutty ,slovenly mothers sit on the stoop smoking cigarettes.You can see the future failures , the murderers, the thieves, the rapists being produced by these women whose only skill in life is pumping out worthless future thugs to prey on us taxpayers after we pay for their immoral existence. These scum have no interest or ambition to improve their lot in life. They are fine with the handouts and bitching about how unfair everything is for them.

October 08 2012 at 2:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
viviglam

It is not nice to call human beings "trash". You don't know everyone's story to judge. Some people who DO work hard become homeless due to a multitude of hardships.

Yes there are freewheelers out there. However there are also people who are physically and mentally ill through no fault of their own.

It's so easy to judge when the only life you know is your own. It's very self righteous of you to huff and puff these hate filled, ignorant comments.

Apparently you weren't "bred" very well to breath the hell fire you just vomited up. Shame on you.

October 08 2012 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply