New Yorker Saves By Skipping Laundry for 3 Years

No laundryBy Mandi Woodruff

The latest season of TLC's 'Extreme Cheapskates' premieres this month, and from the looks of the teasers they've posted online, the recession has born an entirely new breed of outrageous savers.

In the first clip, we meet New York resident Kay. Not only does she freely admit to never using toilet paper, she reveals she hasn't done laundry the traditional way –– using a washer and dryer –– in years.

"Whenever I have dirty clothes, I try to wash them while I'm showering," she says. "I think the last time I did laundry was maybe three years ago."

Here's her alternative method: Lathering up her duds with detergent (a free sample, naturally) and soaking them while she washes herself. Afterward, they hang to dry in the shower.

Kay sees no need in indulging in paper products either. She replaced toilet paper with a squirt bottle filled with water.

"I don't believe in spending money on something you're just gonna throw away such as toilet paper and paper towels," she says.

More from Business Insider:
Man Pays Doctor's Bill in Pennies ... and Gets Dragged Into Court
The 10 Most Depressing Student Loan Stories
How a Hollywood Screenwriter Haggled His Way Out of $222,000 of Debt

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

How Financial Planners go Grocery Shopping

Learn to shop smart and save.

christinezc

I am all for frugality. This is a person who will be and remain self-sufficient, live within her means and set an example to others. We don't have to follow what she does completely, but think of our own frugality measures in our own comfort zones.

October 08 2012 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yukiko Towner

It seems a bit extreme to me, but I don't live in a place where it costs $3 to do laundry.

October 07 2012 at 4:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bones Zones

Someone below pointed out how being were being too harsh on her for just living her life. I agree. And no I don't think my ancestors are disgusting.. Thanks space101..

In fact she has inspired me. I too will quit using toilet paper starting today, and in fact I'm going to do one better! I'm not going to waste any water or any squirt bottles! I will just use my hands and wipe them on the walls or carpet. That will save money, paper, plastic and water! I will also no longer take showers because I figure the dirt can only cake on so deep before it crusts up and falls off. I can use homemade deodorant by spraying my self with dog urine. Yes it works, because everyone will just think it's the dog as no one would ever imagine it's me!

October 04 2012 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saannie25

cool, never thought about doing your laundry in the shower, makes sence the way she explaines it. As far as her not using toilet paper, I an on the fence about this one, since it's what I'm used to, but still, I applaud her for trying to save herself some money.

October 04 2012 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aidafraso86

^__^!!!!!
This is really a good post.
It make know more and help me a lots.
Thanks for sharing, my friend

October 04 2012 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aidafraso86

^__^!!!!!
This is really a good post.
It make know more and help me a lots.
Thanks for sharing, my friend
My website: http://isitdownjustforme.com/

October 04 2012 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jade

To everyone who keeps commenting about not using toilet paper, you're the dirty, unsanitary *****. I'm Filipino and most of us use a tabo. Google it. I mean think about it.. how in the world is a piece of paper better at cleaning yourself than water and soap? Just saying..

October 03 2012 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
space101

why are there so many vain idiots, that is just her living style is not your business, you don't have to agree with or do the same thing. Are you going to tell me your ancestors are disgusting too?? Then I am sorry this does make you have very disgusting blood . A lot of vain people think they are better but indeed they are really mess, their own life is mess,cheating drug drinking....but so many people think they are better. How many people in this country are really on the rich list ? where are you better than somebody else? Just been vain really can't make you better, but it does make you feel yourself are better but just yourself!!

October 03 2012 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
escience4life

Many people in the world do not use toilet paper or even have toilets where you sit. Some yes use bidets and some have Turkish toilets using clean water instead of paper. In fact, it's more clean to use water, and you feel more refreshed, especially for women. I am from the US living in Morocco and yes it was hard and weird to get used to Turkish toilets, but I feel much cleaner this way.. There is an etiquette by the way that most people don't know. Those who use Turkish toilets/ bidets generally use their left hand for dirty things like cleaning one's self and the right hand for eating, drinking, shaking hands etc... Wet wipes help for beginners. Most of these toilets are in Islamic countries were it's stressed to be exceptionally clean "down there."

October 03 2012 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pqwerty79

maybe she's saving for a bidet

October 03 2012 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply